Australian and Chinese expats in Chonburi test positive for COVID-19

webfact

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

More and more hospital walk in cases being found, this time tested because they just needed a covid free certificate to fly. Its not looking good

at last, the truth is beginning to show its face.

for sure there are thousands of un discovered cases here.

but if they are not contagous now, why put them in quarantine?

money, money, money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClambeachJ said:

So much for their scheduled trip it appears.  You test to leave Thailand and then you can not leave as they place you in quarantine.  Trying to get to Thailand to visit my son, but the requirements are oh so many for a man of 74, and finding the insurance required is expensive for me being on SS.

There is a  good reason to control the entry of travelers. The USA is now reporting its own variant strains just as dangerous as the South African, Kent and Brazil variants. Stay where you are. Thailand does not have the resources to cope with the highly infectious new variants.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Definitely staying in California for the time being.  I have not seen my son or his family in going on 2 years since the last visit he made here.  Thought I would go to visit him, and found this forum to look up and do research.  Seems to me just like my son said, it is hard to get to Thailand and visit as a tourist now.  Had thought about moving over but with what I am seeing does not look good for a few more years.  He was going to build a bungalow on the property he has with his wife for me to stay in.  At 74 it is starting to look like I may need to rely on family sooner rather than later as my health is not the best.  I will take the advice and stay put for now.  Trying to figure out how many retiree's can afford between 5K usd and 7K usd before actually getting to enjoy a vacation visit with just a short trip.  Can not even use the airmiles I have or CC points to book a flight, as I am limited apparently on the airlines I can use.  I just had my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Because of this, it is unlikely they are contagious, Dr Wichai said.

The exact details of their infection remains under investigation.

The couple have now been placed in quarantine and health officials have begun contact tracing.

This is a problem, they're unlikely to be contagious but we're locking them up anyway ????

• Like 2

people with the Chinese Virus go through a cycle from initial infection to what would be regarded as recovered where there may still be traces of the virus in small numbers commonly known as "viral load" but not enough to be transmitted to others 

This viral load will increase from initial infection to a peak then drop again - during this process some people get sick and show symptoms some do not or experience very little and would be classed as asymptomatic 

At what point these people become classed as free of infection or their status of infection is determined as safe because of very low viral load is unclear, anyone infected with the virus could have detectable levels of virus for possibly weeks after infection, what likely needs to be determined is whether they were very recently infected (early stage) or were infected weeks ago and have already pretty much defeated the infection themselves and will have huge numbers of antibodies to prove this 

Then lets throw those that have been vaccinated into the mix - will they be showing a positive PCR test for the virus after vaccination 

Important information about these two people is - how long they have been infected and where they stayed the last few weeks/months, as for where they have been during that time is going to be rather difficult to trace since it is likely to over a long period of time 

Mass testing would have caught them earlier or at least would have detected the source of their infection which is exactly the reason why "mass testing" is being done in other countries, this temp scanning in shops etc is a waste of time and contributes nothing towards virus detection - only mass testing will find it

I have seen no mass testing in Pattaya so they have no idea how many people have been or are currently infected, it certainly is out there but the Mayor would rather spend tax payers money on looking after his personal business interests in walking street than funding mass testing 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, meechai said:

^^^This is what I have been saying for a year now....

Back when Covid was discovered....which is not the same as saying when it actually started....There were many Chinese tourists in Thailand

It is silly/insane/Thai to think or claim Thailand has been covid free during the year they claimed they were.

Covid was not sucked out of Thailand back in Dec 2019 when tourists left....It has always been here

It is just that most folks stay home when sick & this has basically gone unnoticed/unreported

Not that many older folks didn't die this past 1.5 years of super pneumonia in village hospitals....untested for C19

Back in Late October, early November, of 2019, there were a load of Folk who were very sick in the Pattaya area with symptoms akin to Covid.

I am not saying that this was Covid, just that it may have been.

Maybe these asymtomatic Folk have been carrying this Virus all that time, as the WHO are now making noises that Covid was around many Months before China reported it.

They are also making noises that the Virus may not have originated in China at all, but possibly in a S E Asia Country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nickmondo said:

at last, the truth is beginning to show its face.

for sure there are thousands of un discovered cases here.

but if they are not contagous now, why put them in quarantine?

money, money, money

If they are not contagious I am at loss to understand what makes you think they are infected? And how are these thousands of undiscovered cases coming about? And how are you so sure they exist?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Then lets throw those that have been vaccinated into the mix - will they be showing a positive PCR test for the virus after vaccination 

No, they won't, not from just having a vaccine and a PCR or antigen test.

Edited by Salerno

I had a COVID-19 test a few weeks ago before some surgery, man oh man, that was nasty, in this day and age I thought that they could come up with something less distressing than a swab up your nose as far as possible and my gag reflex when they do the throat swab is on a very fine trigger, I did ask for a bucket just in case.

Did I read right that they now have an anal swab ? My butt don't normally have a gag reflex, would have preferred that to be honest, although not with the same swabs ????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

What? This is new to me.

Is everyone supposed to be tested before they leave Thailand? and tested again when they enter Thailand?

This is too much. They should concentrate on illegal border crossing instead.

Only guessing but probably a requirement for where they were going, not from Thailand to say you can't go, but who knows.

This Wuhan virus, or C19 , or Covid 19 virus is still a killer. I wonder what would

happen if it mixed with Ebola virus.  As for people getting quarantined, good,  as

I have seen too many friends and some relatives die from this virus that is not

like the normal flu viruses that are also out there.    The USA have lost nearly a half

million people so far, and likely a lot more than that before they get their people

vaccinated.  How many will die globally, 3 million or 4 million, before most people

are vaccinated. It seems that a lot on this forum still do not know very much 

about this virus. Well,  do not call Donnie, as his past advice was not very good.

Good Luck and stay safe and cautious. In 2 or 3 years the situation should be

better understood, and more under control.

Geezer

• Like 1