Used car dealerships and/or inspection?

The Thai family should be capable of knowing where to buy.

You could get a almost new Chevy SUV,  many Toyota Fortuner's about and Mitsubishi Palermo.

As for dealers the nearest ones to you.

https://www.sgs.co.th/en/transportation/automotive/aftermarket-and-distribution/leasing-companies/used-vehicle-inspection

Edited by Kwasaki

On 2/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, troubletribbles said:

Hello,

My family (non of whom speak Thai) are in the market for a used SUV in the 400-600k range. 
Any recommendations for dealerships and thorough 3rd party inspection services? My first time buying a car in Thailand so I'm a bit clueless.

Thanks!

I can only recommend whomever you buy the car from, take it for a road test, give it a bit of welly see how it performs, try and see if it gets to hot, when you stop check under for any oil leaks ,smoke Tyreplus near me are very thorough when they test/inspect a vehicle in my experience,. Hope that helps.

Have a look at these 2 sites,seems to be a lot of good cars in BKK, Motors.co.th or One 2car.com,the latter i found a dealer which had certifield inspected cars,make of that what u will,i believe their located in Taling Chan,outer nth west suburb of BKK,use the filter on the site you'll be able to locate the inspected cars.

Many years ago, my wife told me that if anything [car included] has value, it goes first to a family member... if it has a problem, you sell it.. 

This is why Thai people prefer to buy new... I'm not ready to sell my 10 yr old SUV yet, but family members are circling about... 

On 2/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, brianthainess said:

I can only recommend whomever you buy the car from, take it for a road test, give it a bit of welly see how it performs, try and see if it gets to hot, when you stop check under for any oil leaks ,smoke Tyreplus near me are very thorough when they test/inspect a vehicle in my experience,. Hope that helps.

Alternatively take it to a dealer for a full computer check... using a plug-in unit.
People often lie, a plug-in tester tells the truth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, n8sail said:

Be very cautious about buying 2nd hand here.   My assistant at work had a Mitsu Triton she was trying to sell.  A dealer eventually bought it from her for surprisingly good money.  It was driven carefully and in very good condition, but had ~230k on the odometer when sold.

2 weeks later, while looking online for another car to buy, she found her truck for sale from same dealer with only ~130k on the odometer.  Had a photo of the odometer and everything.  It was a digital odometer, so even those are not infallible.

I would only buy 2nd hand here if I had a mechanic I 100% trusted to take care of the vehicle, or a place and tools of my own and plenty of time to tinker on the vehicle as I used to do at home.   I find it too hot here to work on vehicles and work and activities leave me with little time for it nowadays anyways.

exactly. Tent dealers usually sell cráp, the best bet is to find a private seller rather than a dealer.

Read this topic, I've shared a few thoughts there:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1206603-buying-a-car-in-pattaya/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

I believe Toyota run an "Approved used" scheme. Also suggest Facebook marketplace for a farang private sale.

Only time I have been ripped off with a car or bike sale was from farang - never Thai. Gave deposit to hold the car, sent a guy to inspect it, horrible knock when starting cold, refused to return deposit. FWIW

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Only time I have been ripped off with a car or bike sale was from farang - never Thai. Gave deposit to hold the car, sent a guy to inspect it, horrible knock when starting cold, refused to return deposit. FWIW

Unfortunate, however you did choose to put a down a deposit before inspecting. After many years of reading this forum the concensus of opinion seems to be that farang look after their cars better. However, that said, I know Thais who are fastidious about cleaning and maintaining their car.