Expat who tested positive for COVID-19 after Phuket trip also visited Hua Hin

snoop1130

Expat who tested positive for COVID-19 after Phuket trip also visited Hua Hin

gtht.jpg

A foreign man who lives in Suphanburi and who tested positive for COVID-19 after visiting Phuket also visited Hua Hin.

The Suphanburi Provincial Health Office on Tuesday confirmed the 40 year old man had tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday after taking a test before he was due to travel overseas.

The man had recently returned from a week-long stay in Phuket, leaving on February 5.

Travelling in his own car he stayed one night at an unnamed hotel in Prachuap Khiri Khan, before travelling to Hua Hin on February 7, where  he stayed until February 11.

He returned to his home in Suphanburi on February 12 where he stayed until February 14 when he visited a private hospital to take a COVID-19 which was required for the upcoming trip overseas. 

The test returned a positive result and he is now receiving treatment at a hospital in Suphanburi.

No further details of the exact locations the man visited available at the time of posting.

(This post will be updated with any further details once they become available).

While the risk of infection to others appears to below, this may act as a reminder that despite Thailand appearing to be winning the battle against the new wave of infections, new cases are still being found, even in areas away from so-called hot spots. 

On Monday, Chonburi health officials revealed that an expat couple had tested positive for the virus, having also taken a test prior to them travelling abroad. Officials said the couple were asymptomatic.

Health officials nationwide are reiterating their message on the importance of people social distancing, wearing facemasks, regularly washing their hands and using hand sanitizer and avoiding crowded places.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-16

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does not say in the OP what test was used to determine the outcome. If it was the PCR test, the amplification should not exceed 30 cycles (WHO). Any more that that renders the test unreliable. Cycles of 40+ would see just about anyone show up as positive.

I have no idea what the Thai testing labs do to their samples. Not normally publicised anyway. So difficult to scrutinise.

Fortunately having a positive result does mean in all probability the subject is not infected.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, voulez vous said:

Does not say in the OP what test was used to determine the outcome. If it was the PCR test, the amplification should not exceed 30 cycles (WHO). Any more that that renders the test unreliable. Cycles of 40+ would see just about anyone show up as positive.

I have no idea what the Thai testing labs do to their samples. Not normally publicised anyway. So difficult to scrutinise.

Fortunately having a positive result does mean in all probability the subject is not infected.

In what  world of  fantasy do you live?

You write "Fortunately having a positive result does mean in all probability the subject is not infected."  If you are correct then all the  people diagnosed with infection are not infected. 

It makes no sense. In your world up is down, nothing is accurate.

You do not understand what you write when you reference cycles. You have chosen to repeat false internet claim that has been fact checked. If you had taken a few minutes to verify you would see that your statement is nonsense.  You do not know specifications of Thai test uses, but you make conclusion they are faulty. You do not understand what these cycles are and you misinterpret.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-who-instructions-pcr-guidan-idUSKBN2A429W

The above Reuters fact check provides another link that provides more detail.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-critical-thinking/covid-19-pcr-test-reliable-despite-commotion-about-ct-values

Edited by Patong2021
  • Like 2

So if he hadn't been going overseas and therefore needed a test, we'd be none the wiser?  There must be hundreds or thousands of infected but asymptomatic people all over Thailand, and even if some are symptomatic the majority have very mild symptoms.  Is this hysteria going to continue forever, or can we just learn to live with this virus like has always been done previously?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So if he hadn't been going overseas and therefore needed a test, we'd be none the wiser?  There must be hundreds or thousands of infected but asymptomatic people all over Thailand, and even if some are symptomatic the majority have very mild symptoms.  Is this hysteria going to continue forever, or can we just learn to live with this virus like has always been done previously?

if i thought the hospital system here could handle what my friends (nurses) were reporting to me from the UK a few weeks ago i'd be on the same page as you but i think it would collapse the health system here if it really got a foothold. 

i hope we never get a chance to find out who's right on this one ????

• Thanks 1