Biden plans to 'recalibrate' Saudi relations in shot at MbS: White House

webfact

10 hours ago, Tug said:

Whaaaaattttt no groveling at the rich prince es feet?not going to give the folks who did the World Trade Center nuclear technology???thats refreshing I also like him keeping Netanyahu at arms length for a bit just to let him know,joe is after more than votes starting not to feel ashamed to be an American 

I've been proud to be an American all my life.  Funny how some are so fickle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It must come as quite a shock to the serial killing thug, MBS, to not have the American leader expressing fealty like Don and Jared did. As far as I am concerned, the Saudis are an enemy to the west, Wahhabism is the most extreme of Islamic belief systems, and the Saudi support of the Madrasas has continued to this day. They are not to be trusted.

Some say they are a valuable ally. That may be. But, MBS is not a man of honor, and he cannot be trusted. Standing up to thuggery is a good thing. Casual elimination of critics is not. He is a wannabe Putin. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jobsworth said:

He didn't. He attacked Iraq instead,

Yes,

And later they admitted that they felt it pointless attacking Afghanistan as there was nothing strategically worthwhile bombing!

Hence, the wrong war in Iraq, based on lies, and caused by the international terrorists; Bush and Blair.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

And later they admitted that they felt it pointless attacking Afghanistan as there was nothing strategically worthwhile bombing!

The Taliban regime in Afghanistan were providing sanctuary for Bin Laden and his followers.

Once Bin Laden took the credit for 9/11 the US demanded they hand him over. They didn't.

That was all the justification required. The strategy was to make it clear that, if you attack America, they will move heaven and Earth to retaliate.

It was the Iraq invasion that was largely pointless, apart from the Neocons settling a few old scores.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tug said:

So have I but when an administration flushes our American ideals down the toilet disrespects those who serve gets Americans killed in the hundreds of thousands due to incompetence throws our allies to the wolves try’s his level best to destroy our democracy ruins the Republican Party it kinda makes me ashamed oh well guess some of us are kinda fickle go figure........

You've got that bass akwards, fickle is not standing by yours, regardless.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've been proud to be an American all my life.  Funny how some are so fickle.

Sad times when a supposedly proud American is ok selling arms to a dictatorship so they can bomb and kill innocent civilians. Yemen deserves better.

MBS needs to be held accountable for the brutal killing of an American citizen. How can proud Americans be ok with that? Impossible.

P.S. I'm a survivor of 9/11. Changed my life forever. And SA was never held responsible for their support of the terrorists. Horrible country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

You've got that bass akwards, fickle is not standing by yours, regardless.

"Standing by yours, regardless" is a bad policy, in my opinion.  Whether with friends, or family, or with one's country, one should have a set of values, and expect the same from others. I can love my country and hope the best for it, and yet at the same time be critical of its policies or the behavior of its leaders, when they are in contradiction to the values the country stands for. If that's what you consider fickle, well then, I'm happy to be labeled fickle. 

• Like 2

Just now, mtraveler said:

"Standing by yours, regardless" is a bad policy, in my opinion.  Whether with friends, or family, or with one's country, one should have a set of values, and expect the same from others. I can love my country and hope the best for it, and yet at the same time be critical of its policies or the behavior of its leaders, when they are in contradiction to the values the country stands for. If that's what you consider fickle, well then, I'm happy to be labeled fickle. 

No, you've misunderstood. I'm talking of the folks who state they are ashamed to be an American. Of course one can be critical and angry, it's our right. But to say you're ashamed because things aren't going your way is being fickle.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

No, you've misunderstood. I'm talking of the folks who state they are ashamed to be an American. Of course one can be critical and angry, it's our right. But to say you're ashamed because things aren't going your way is being fickle.

Oh, that was the problem with, for example, the Iraq invasion. Things weren't going the Americans' way. Lying about the reasons invoked for it was nothing to be ashamed of.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Most Americans were ashamed of their country for the past 4 years. Luckily, things are getting better.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sad times when a supposedly proud American is ok selling arms to a dictatorship so they can bomb and kill innocent civilians. Yemen deserves better.

MBS needs to be held accountable for the brutal killing of an American citizen. How can proud Americans be ok with that? Impossible.

P.S. I'm a survivor of 9/11. Changed my life forever. And SA was never held responsible for their support of the terrorists. Horrible country.

Successive USA administrations supplied arms to Saudi Arabia and other unsavory regimes. That largely fictional mega arms-sale deal Trump signed with them? Quite a bit of the items on the list were a legacy from Obama's term.

If the 'American citizen' was a reference to Khashoggi, then no, he wasn't an American citizen. Still a brutal killing and all that, of course.

Not sure how you meant "support of the terrorists".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Successive USA administrations supplied arms to Saudi Arabia and other unsavory regimes. That largely fictional mega arms-sale deal Trump signed with them? Quite a bit of the items on the list were a legacy from Obama's term.

If the 'American citizen' was a reference to Khashoggi, then no, he wasn't an American citizen. Still a brutal killing and all that, of course.

Not sure how you meant "support of the terrorists".

Yeah, the arms sales have been going on for a long time.

He was actually a permanent resident. Thus, under protection of US laws.

The WTC terrorists.

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, the arms sales have been going on for a long time.

He was actually a permanent resident. Thus, under protection of US laws.

The WTC terrorists.

Probably under protection of US laws while on US soil. He was murdered in Turkey. Don't know if his status applies. Doesn't detract from how wrong it was, just pointing out that the USA's obligations in this matter are probably more moral than legal.

Yeah, I got which terrorists. Was asking how you meant 'support of'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

If the 'American citizen' was a reference to Khashoggi, then no, he wasn't an American citizen.

Khashoggi was, among other things, U.S. educated and a columnist for the Washington Post. As well as being a long-time critic of MBS and the Saudi king.

The Middle East correspondent of The Independent, Patrick Cockburn, wrote that the killing of Jamal Khashoggi "is by no means the worst act carried out by Saudi Arabia since 2015, though it is much the best publicised. ... Saudi leaders imagined that, having got away with worse atrocities in Yemen, that any outcry over the death of a single man in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul was something they could handle".\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamal_Khashoggi#Personal_life

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Khashoggi was, among other things, U.S. educated and a columnist for the Washington Post. As well as being a long-time critic of MBS and the Saudi king.

The Middle East correspondent of The Independent, Patrick Cockburn, wrote that the killing of Jamal Khashoggi "is by no means the worst act carried out by Saudi Arabia since 2015, though it is much the best publicised. ... Saudi leaders imagined that, having got away with worse atrocities in Yemen, that any outcry over the death of a single man in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul was something they could handle".\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamal_Khashoggi#Personal_life

Well aware of that, but an American citizen, he was not. The US may have a moral obligation to investigate, or take steps against those involved, but I don't think it's compelled to do so (could be wrong). At least not while relying on the citizenship and permanent resident angles.