Expats swindled out of 100 million baht by Pattaya bank staffer meet prosecutor

webfact

5 minutes ago, johnarth said:

the bank was named on the tv news, I a bit worried because I have most of my money in same bank, I not know why not allowed to name the bank? perhaps Thaivisa did not check that out

Draconian defamation laws put a lot of media outfits in defensive mode... where truth is respected in the West (when you can unmix it from all the lies), it is often feared and covered up here.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Equating accessibility to a loan or meeting the requirements to open an account with a bank not meeting it’s obligations of fraud from an employee is a false equivalence- no matter how many exclamation marks you use !!!..... ???? 

Well yes, some difference, ...  but how about equating the abundance of restrictive rules in the West, ... and less in Asia ? ... (Which is good for Us, who are not silly enough to fall for the easy money trap ?) l

.. And well, that the West is far from Squeaky Clean, as most of them would like to have us think ! ....  (Like my money is better then your money, ... as it has .... Right ... ) ...

And also by the just Ginormous Money Laundering Scandal, in the US, ... that caused a lot of these restrictions, which was Just SO HUGE !!! ...  and so wide spread !!! .... Like MOST of the Biggest Banks in America, and some of the Australian top 4 also, ....

... So well, why worry so much about some tin pot little Small town Fraudster, in Pattaya ... Who well, Quite obviously ... and as they do !!!  ... Selected their targets well !  .... (People who wanted to make more than every one else, ... and get something for nothing ??? .... Possibly ??? ... )

19 hours ago, Oldie said:

Anyone who puts more than they can afford to lose into a Thai bank is off their heads, in all the 15 years I have been here I have only kept enough in a Thai bank that I need for living expenses. The country is corrupt from the top, to the banks and insurance companies down to the police.

In saying that, the majority of the ordinary Thai people are as honest and decent as they come. Particularly the market stall holders and shop workers.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Matreusse said:

The funds weren't logged in official bank passbooks, they were obsolete books/documents that he should have destroyed, that was his scam.  The deposits weren't made at the bank either.  If proper books had been used and the deposits logged officially, it wouldn't be his scam, it would just be his theft of bank funds.

Doing people who do you is one thing, but doing the ordinary working class people is another, and should get the book thrown at them.

17 hours ago, csmith said:

I suspect there are many weird and wonderful loses that happen inside Banks Globally .... big and small .... and they settle them in secret as the Banks do not want to tarnish reputations in any way or have customers lose confidence.

I would have hoped that in this case .... with a Bank employee during working hours on Bank premises .... that the Bank would take full responsibility and reimburse the victims.

What a vote of confidence that would be for the Bank.

I wonder if Banks insure themselves against in-house fraud?

One group of crooks insuring themselves with another. :cheesy:

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It’s quite clear that in any Western  bank ,there would be no dispute and the bank would repay all the customers immediately.

Unfortunately, what is "quite clear" is that is just not factual, it's nothing more than an aspiration.   Unless you've got evidence to the contrary, of course.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/17/2021 at 2:23 PM, NanLaew said:

BS. He's a plain and simple thief and let that be the end of it.

Money laundering charges will be used as an excuse to prolong the bank facing up to their liabilities and reimbursing their customers who had money stolen by their employee.

Money laundering charges mean a much longer sentence actually. 

1 hour ago, BostonRob2 said:

Money is extremely safe in thai banks. Perhaps you are a little paranoid or anti-bank?

Lets just wait and see how these people who were swindled get on, and if the bank lives up to it's responsibilities.

I suggest that anyone with large amount of money in the Thai.Bank to have two accounts

One being a Foreign Reserve Acc (FRA) where the vast amount of money is in your countries currency.

The other a standard current account into which money from the FRAc is transferred into it.

Money in the FRAc can only be transferred into one's other accounts making it impossible to be hacked.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:03 PM, Mike Rodik said:

imagine this is/was your 800k account for immigration...

Absolutely, Mike, you’d be f...ed!

good thinking..

unless....this would be another case like the bedridden bloke, the bank would reluctantly cough up ... wishful dreaming 

On 2/18/2021 at 11:23 AM, bluesea said:

Guilty !! acting as a representitive of his employer ( The Bank)

The bank may argue he acted outside of his employment, as a criminal, although a member of staff.  Possibly a long ongoing saga for years.

Edited by Leaver

A question that requires addressing is when old bank stationary is superseded by new (bankbooks/paperwork) its a legal requirement that the old stock is destroyed, documented and witnessed to prevent this type of fraud and this is generally managed from head office. The question should be has the bank carried out this legal requirement and if so there will be multiple signature's on the documentation relating to the documentation along with all the destroyed bankbook order numbers, if not why not? I cannot can I see this as a local branch one man operation unless the bank totally fails to carry out its statuary duty? 

14 hours ago, cryo said:

A question that requires addressing is when old bank stationary is superseded by new (bankbooks/paperwork) its a legal requirement that the old stock is destroyed,

You have to appreciate that Thais get quite sloppy wrt procedures and are always looking for ways to make  life easier. It isn't many years ago since they would allow withdrawals by those claiming to be holding mamas bank book!

Edited by jacko45k

On 2/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, cryo said:

A question that requires addressing is when old bank stationary is superseded by new (bankbooks/paperwork) its a legal requirement that the old stock is destroyed,

Surely the magnetic strips are decommissioned  and taken offline in the bank's data base, making the bank book useless, but then again, TiT.  

Edited by Leaver

On 2/17/2021 at 8:51 AM, soi3eddie said:

Assuming that the "alleged" perpetrator was an employee of the bank and the scams took place on bank premises during opening hours then the bank is 100% liable for the employee's actions. The bank must compensate the customers immediately and in full. Will this happen? Unlikely here I'm afraid. 

TIT the foreigners are always at fault. If they never came to Thailand this wouldn't have happened. Case closed!