Pattaya mayor stands firm amid calls from bar industry for later opening hours

webfact

Pattaya mayor stands firm amid calls from bar industry for later opening hours

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Pattaya's mayor told Sophon Cable TV that hundreds of tourism businesses and bars need to be "jai yen" (relaxed) right now.

Sontaya Khunpluem said that he was not idling but working on their behalf and said that no one wanted there to be a third wave of the virus. 

The first and second waves of Covid decimated businesses in Pattaya with Sophon saying that out of a "thousand" bars 60% had shut either permanently or temporarily. 

Those that are open have appealed to the mayor to extend opening hours from 11 pm to midnight. 

Sontaya said he understood this was because customers were local expats who went out late and businesses needed to get an income. 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

He intended to take this and other matters forward to the CCSA, Thailand's Covid response authority, for consideration. 

In the meantime he said that he was satisfied with the Covid response in Chonburi and said that the province was now in the orange zone from red.

He expected an even better color soon. 

Sophon attributed his remarks as equating to "tourism will soon be back to normal".

They didn't expand on this claim or remotely suggest what "normal" may entail, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-17

• Haha 1

It is so strange. Everywhere you have to follow the Covid regulations and in entertainment venues they don't (have to) care at all. Some don't even care about closing times. Perhaps there is no virus at night?! 

3 minutes ago, Oldie said:

It is so strange. Everywhere you have to follow the Covid regulations and in entertainment venues they don't (have to) care at all. Some don't even care about closing times. Perhaps there is no virus at night?! 

Ignoring the old, fat, sunburned, gold-chained, tattooed, wrinkly expats......most in these entertainment venues are young; they don't perceive the virus as any great threat and are (probably) in dire straights economically, as a consequence they are  prepared to take their chances.

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Ignoring the old, fat, sunburned, gold-chained, tattooed, wrinkly expats......most in these entertainment venues are young; they don't perceive the virus as any great threat and are (probably) in dire straights economically, as a consequence they are  prepared to take their chances.

We are talking about Pattaya. Mostly I see old(er) Farangs as customers. Perhaps you are talking about the staff. 

Whenever I go for instance shopping to the Central Mall I have to check temperature, need a mask (outside already) and have to register and have to desinfect my hands. Somehow I feel like an idiot when I see what is going on in bars. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya's mayor told Sophon Cable TV that hundreds of tourism businesses and bars need to be "jai yen" (relaxed) right now.

Pattaya's problem was being too relaxed before when they were allowed to operate under certain regulations...

they showed contempt for the new measures and are now paying the price.