Video: Sattahip to Songkhla ferry start imminent - cabins available on 200 million baht second hand boat from Japan

Video: Sattahip to Songkhla ferry start imminent - cabins available on 200 million baht second hand boat from Japan

8pm.jpg
video screenshot

Thai media Daily News online reported that the start of the Sattahip to Songkhla ferry - previously reported by Thaivisa - would begin in February.

The service - that takes 20 hours and will go one way each day - was featured in a video published on their site.

In this they announced that Seahorse Ferry Co Ltd had purchased a second hand ferry from Hokkaido, Japan called "The Blue Dolphin". 

It cost 200 million baht.

It's communal areas and cabins looked of a good standard in the promotional video. 

An executive of the company said that fare structures had yet to be decided - but this was back in January so news of that may be forthcoming soon as the service was mooted to begin at the latest this month.

There will be room for 80 trucks and 20 cars.

It will be able to carry 586 passengers. 

It has been hailed as a boon for the transport of cargo with the cutting of road transport time and even for the promotion of tourism.

Source: Daily News

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

586 people in a boat for 20 hours in a pandemic - what could possibly go wrong

13 hours driving a car plus stop offs so make it nearly 15 hours.. A boat you can relax on and go to sleep a car you can't.. The boat wins everytime.

When will it arrive in Songkhla - around August?

Posted Images

car.pngDriving Distance: 1159.7 km , Estimated Duration: 13 hours 20 minutes if average speed speed is 87km/hr.
So just over 13 hrs by car as against 20 hrs by sea i know i would car and not by sea , i dont get sea sick its just 7 hrs faster by car .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, keith101 said:

car.pngDriving Distance: 1159.7 km , Estimated Duration: 13 hours 20 minutes if average speed speed is 87km/hr.
So just over 13 hrs by car as against 20 hrs by sea i know i would car and not by sea , i dont get sea sick its just 7 hrs faster by car .

Speed kills, way less likely to get hit by a truck while cruising on water. 🤣🤣   Also much more environmentally friendly and relaxing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, webfact said:

It cost 200 million baht.

And was used for the short 4 hour crossing between Honshu and Hokkaido. 

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

see

If it took just 80 HGVs off the entire stretch of road 3 times a week, it would contribute something to safety and the environment.

But will Thai companies become organised enough to employ drivers at both ends - because no-one is going to pay a driver to sit on a ship for 20 hours....

6 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

If it took just 80 HGVs off the entire stretch of road 3 times a week, it would contribute something to safety and the environment.

But will Thai companies become organised enough to employ drivers at both ends - because no-one is going to pay a driver to sit on a ship for 20 hours....

I wouldn't be surprised if some transport company forced the driver to count it as one of his days off.

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

maybe faster depending on road works and traffic, but not as safe, more relaxing on a boat than cooped up in a car