Video: Sattahip to Songkhla ferry start imminent - cabins available on 200 million baht second hand boat from Japan

webfact

9 hours ago, treetops said:

Read the other thread and tell me if you still think so.  The guy posting might be an ill informed <deleted> but he's quite convincing.

The way he writes, he makes it sound like he is an employee of the company and his English isn't a "Google Translate" hack job.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, RichardColeman said:

586 people in a boat for 20 hours in a pandemic - what could possibly go wrong

Almost three times that number get on the BTS trains every peak period and nothing seems to have gone wrong so far so 586 socially distanced or in cabins is hardly likely to be an issue.

Edited by Matreusse
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

Almost three times that number get on the BTS trains every peak period and nothing seems to have gone wrong so far so 586 socially distanced or in cabins is hardly likely to be an issue.

But we are not talking social distance - we are talking pre covid crowded short haul ferry full capacity and expect the normal poor cabin air circulation (which directly resulted in many covid transmissions until tour ships were docked).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
15 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

But we are not talking social distance - we are talking pre covid crowded short haul ferry full capacity and expect the normal poor cabin air circulation (which directly resulted in many covid transmissions until tour ships were docked).

What?

I am talking about social distancing, that's why I mentioned it in my comment.  I was also talking about the quoted maximum capacity whenever it is allowed to operate,  I was not talking about "pre-Covid" at all.  What do you know about the cabin air circulation on this vessel, anyway?   Nothing, I suspect.

2 hours ago, Matreusse said:

It's still in existence, just temporarily suspended due to Covid, and will be back in service.   I hope that you'll not be too disappointed to hear that.

It was reported here on Monday that the company had ceased trading and the ferry is permanently cancelled.  What makes you think otherwise?

On 2/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, keith101 said:

car.pngDriving Distance: 1159.7 km , Estimated Duration: 13 hours 20 minutes if average speed speed is 87km/hr.
So just over 13 hrs by car as against 20 hrs by sea i know i would car and not by sea , i dont get sea sick its just 7 hrs faster by car .

But you can't sit at the bar for the journey in a car.  ????

On 2/16/2021 at 11:47 PM, keith101 said:

car.pngDriving Distance: 1159.7 km , Estimated Duration: 13 hours 20 minutes if average speed speed is 87km/hr.
So just over 13 hrs by car as against 20 hrs by sea i know i would car and not by sea , i dont get sea sick its just 7 hrs faster by car .

If you're one of the minority in Thailand that actually own a car...

Hopefully, the rest of them can toss their 125cc scooter on the boat and have transportation on both ends.

It may be a reasonable car ride, but it's a crazy stupid scooter trek, both in comfort and safety.

Edited by impulse

On 2/17/2021 at 12:15 PM, wpcoe said:

What is the projected demand for this service?  The OP says it "will go one way each day" -- does that mean service each direction every other day?  If so, an average of 2,000 passengers per week each direction seems like a lot of capacity.

Or, is the real breadwinner here cargo capacity and not passenger/vehicle capacity?

Songkhla and Sattahip are both bases for offshore oil operations.  A regular ferry makes a lot of sense if it does carry large cargo. Not so much for passenger traffic.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, Kerryd said:

Looking at their website does not inspire confidence. Still can't book or see prices online.

My guess is that they don't really care about the general public's perception as much as the oil service companies who don't book trips on their website (and never will).  General passengers will absorb some overhead, but their real money will come from commercial customers- freight and workers.

Edited by impulse

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

But you can't sit at the bar for the journey in a car.  ????

From other thread do not believe that will be an option on the ship either - no pax - only vehicles.

And it is not going anywhere near Songkhla from today's news.

image.jpeg.aab754041213b099cd9c8981cf4e6df9.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

From other thread do not believe that will be an option on the ship either - no pax - only vehicles.

And it is not going anywhere near Songkhla from today's news.

image.jpeg.aab754041213b099cd9c8981cf4e6df9.jpeg

I can only go on what is stated in the OP.

It says, "It will be able to carry 586 passengers."  

If it will not carry passengers, and some of their cars / motorbikes, it will fail.  

On 2/17/2021 at 6:26 AM, RichardColeman said:

586 people in a boat for 20 hours in a pandemic - what could possibly go wrong

Passangers boats operates without problems in countries all over the world in this  pandemic and with the normal precautions this will be no different.

7 hours ago, Yahooka said:

Passangers boats operates without problems in countries all over the world in this  pandemic and with the normal precautions this will be no different.

Actually they have not been operating normally anywhere and most ports will not even allow entry of tourist type vessels.  Air and ship travel is not safe in a pandemic period.  At best you can limit the danger. 

• Like 1

I've spent 16 hours on a crowded train (from Bangkok to Chiang Mai). I've been on crowded planes for 12+ hours (from embarkation to disembarkation). I've spent weeks cooped up in a crowded navy ship (back in the days when it seemed like 2 out of every 3 people smoked and "no smoking areas" didn't exist). 

20 hours (give or take) on a passenger ship on the open ocean with limited smoking areas ? I doubt it will be a major concern as far as "breathing" or "covid" is concerned. I suspect the ferry will never run to full capacity so it's not like it's going to be standing room only in a sea of heavy smokers all infected with covid.
(At least not most of the time !)

Far more concerned about the safety aspects though. Normally a ferry that hauls "dangerous goods" can't have passengers (only the drivers of the vehicles carrying the hazmat) - if they use international Transportation of Dangerous Goods regulations.
(Yes, I was trained and qualified in TDG while in the military as well as certified in IATA's Dangerous Goods by Air regulations while working in Afghanistan.)

Not sure if Thailand has different regulations. (Many countries have their own standards and regulations. Some follow the International rules though they may not have certified them. That way they can do things differently within their own borders.) For example, Suvarnabhumi Airport.
"On 27 January 2007, the Department of Civil Aviation declined to renew the airport's safety certificate, which had expired the previous day. The ICAO requires that international airports hold aerodrome safety certificates, but Suvarnabhumi continued to operate because the ICAO requirement had yet to be adopted as part of Thai law."

BC Ferries operates a number of vessels on the West Coast of BC but when it comes to Dangerous Goods, they have a specially scheduled run from a specific terminal to a specific destination terminal. No passengers or other vehicles allowed. (For Vancouver Island it's usually a midnight run between the Nanaimo and Horseshoe Bay terminals. Runs to other destinations depend on need.)

If the main purpose of this Blue Dolphin ferry is to haul freight for "oil service companies" then I'd suspect a lot of dangerous goods to be hauled.
(Not to mention all those transport trucks with all those LPG tanks on them. 8-10 individual 100(+) litre tanks of LPG per truck adds up in a hurry.)

I'd also be concerned about things like overloading. It seems to be a far too common occurrence in SE Asia where overloaded ferries capsize, even when there hasn't been a storm. (Though as I mentioned earlier, I suspect there won't be huge amounts of passenger traffic anyways but that could depend on the fares. As you know, a lot of people will take a longer, crappy route to get somewhere if it's cheaper than the shorter, quicker way.)

Only 9 days to March 1.  Hope we get some more information soon !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually they have not been operating normally anywhere and most ports will not even allow entry of tourist type vessels.  Air and ship travel is not safe in a pandemic period.  At best you can limit the danger. 

Cruiseships and passenger ships between countries have of course been in the same situation as air travel.

But in many countries you do have passenger ships operating within the borders and those have been operating as normal despite the pandemic,same as this route will do.

• Like 1