RIP Soi Bintabaht: Hua Hin’s new bar area could be the end of once popular nightspot

webfact

It’s not the first time the death knoll has been called for Soi Binthabath. It was supposed to go some years ago when there was a kefuffle about it being disrespectful to the temple, which it blatantly is. At that time there were also concerns about businesses considered too racy in the vicinity of the Klai Kang Wong Palace where HMK was mainly in residence. No go-go bars were allowed to open, although there were some in Cha Am and the popular soapy at the City  Beach hotel was forced to close.

In the end Soi Binthabath was too much of a money spinner and religious and other scruples were set aside.

I am sure it will recover when tourists return. Given the lack of affordable transport in HH with tuk tuks asking for 500 baht to go round the corner, it is the only accessible nightlife area for tourists without their own wheels. Sex tourism will recover faster that family tourism because there is pent up demand and hardly any competition to what Thailand can offer this segment. I expect Soi 94 is the one that will die a death.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

It’s not the first time the death knoll has been called for Soi Binthabath.

About 4 years back my pals and I used to do breakfast at Murphy's, then lunch with beer on the pier nearby.

Early evening was the various happy hours in Bintabaht then on to Soi 80 when we were a bit drunk.

I guess we could have fit in Soi 94 on the way back to our hotels.

I always preferred the more 'dark' intimate feel of the Soi 80 bars, with a few girls in each bar.

The Bintabaht bars were too big, and I suspect the new Soi 94 bars will be too open.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The complex consists of 21 bars and a kitchen area and Thaivisa understands all of the bars have already been rented out, with rental fees starting at just 9,000 baht per month

Wonderland????

A straw roof and concrete bar 9,000 baht a month starting price.

With other bars and restaurants doing a brisk trade it sounds like Soi Bintabaht priced itself out of the market.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Wonderland????

A straw roof and concrete bar 9,000 baht a month starting price.

With other bars and restaurants doing a brisk trade it sounds like Soi Bintabaht priced itself out of the market.

For when the freaks come out at night!

Image result for wonderland

• Like 1

I have talked to many that have moved from from Bintabaht. A new tattoo shop that was across from the Hilton just moved next to the newly opened Rock Zone Bar.( I was at Rock Zone last night. Small bar,small stage, but was packed.)He said the land lord didn't care about Corvid and no customers.  Rent was the same and wouldn't lower it . So like many others they moved to where the local expats spend their evening's.  And where the rent is much much less. Bintabaht was  a great place the weekend millionaires and sex tourists. Nice to see the construction of many new shops in and around 94 and 88. Soi 94 suites many of us that live here year around just fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, coxo said:

Only a fool would build 21 new bars in Hua Hin, what's there is dead, can't see soi 94 being better than soi 80 or bintabaht.

They already had a plan between soi 88 and 94, and quite a few risk willing new bar owners jumped on that project 3-4 years ago. And it was dead end business, just money flowing out the window for those who trusted the Bintabaht would close any soon. Time will show whats happens in Hua Hin as quick the borders opens again, but Im sure, some will loose big time again, and again

Am I the only person who cringes when these yootoobers say - hooahh Hin or patiya.

Meh, it used to be irritating to me, but I now just think of it as the same as some people saying Nawlins instead of New Orleans, or any other regional way of pronouncing a town/city. I know what they mean and just continue on with my correct pronunciations.

Edited by Jack Batty
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, coxo said:

Only a fool would build 21 new bars in Hua Hin, what's there is dead, can't see soi 94 being better than soi 80 or bintabaht.

They are all rented out though, with a waiting list of future takers. They havent exactly spent a fortune on them if you look at the video, so will soon be in profit. Doesnt sound like a fool to me!

15 minutes ago, Barrydives said:

They are all rented out though, with a waiting list of future takers. They havent exactly spent a fortune on them if you look at the video, so will soon be in profit. Doesnt sound like a fool to me!

After living 3 years in 88 and 94, I see a bright future coming for every one who invest there right now. 

maybe a couple of bars get some turn over if they are good at what they doing, and thats it. 

Always surprises me when someone start building a new concept right before or after high season ends, or right now with unsurten travel restrictions for the next year or maybe two years. 

Hope i can buy  3or 4 bars there I have a million dollars to spend  and should be able to convert 2 million in the near future.I know many farangs have lost money with bars but i know better. I always say  a new flight of idiots arrive every day  with  dreams and another flight is leaving with dreams shattered. You can tell these idiots  a million times  but  the brain drops out in the trash bucket as soon as they are cleared  from immigration.

Some people want to buy a job or buy a job for their new love one. Little do they know about running a business as they have never run one  before. Have you tried to explain cash flow, money for  new stock to a farming girl?For that matter does the idiot who buys the bar have any idea?

I have done many stupid things in my life  but  buying a bar never entered in the equation.

3 hours ago, globalspark said:

Hope i can buy  3or 4 bars there I have a million dollars to spend  and should be able to convert 2 million in the near future.I know many farangs have lost money with bars but i know better. I always say  a new flight of idiots arrive every day  with  dreams and another flight is leaving with dreams shattered. You can tell these idiots  a million times  but  the brain drops out in the trash bucket as soon as they are cleared  from immigration.

Some people want to buy a job or buy a job for their new love one. Little do they know about running a business as they have never run one  before. Have you tried to explain cash flow, money for  new stock to a farming girl?For that matter does the idiot who buys the bar have any idea?

I have done many stupid things in my life  but  buying a bar never entered in the equation.

What we see, is those with good social antennas can succeed running a bar in good as bad times, but those are very few here in Thailand who can survive both the enviroment of the bar, and the ups and downs. So far I know 3, and they are all alchoholics, but still manage to get up and do the work that is necessery. 2. they have a wife who know to run a business, and know how to handle the staff which is the most critical part of running a business here in Thailand. You need a core of staff that do not run off with the first and best customer, or get <deleted> off and leave with the end of months pay check after putting in the effort to make them worth working for you. 

Considering that I normally stay near soi 94 during my Hua Hin visit, I will

have to check out the bars of soi 94.  I just hope that my favorite guest house 

survives as well as the Smile hotel.  Guess I will have to see how the Fall

goes, and if I can get my vaccines both done, and maybe I will visit Thailand

this coming Winter.  The future is hopeful, 2020 was a bummer year. 

Geezer

• Like 1