Do you suspect you may already have had Covid in Pattaya?

Guderian

I had visitors from the west year ago January with a transition through China (3 hr stop over to change planes). My friends wife was coughing badly and I ended up catching what she had. Tried antibiotics also (thought I had a chest infection) to no avail (ongoing for ten days) but then I tripled up on D3 and in 4 days I was getting better and then it was gone. Thought about it on an off for a year now whether I had it, still not sure.  

• Like 1

I have asked myself the same question. I had a couple of off days around February last year followed by a persistent phlegmy cough, especially in the morning. Found myself short of breath when wearing a mask to do the shopping. It has very gradually improved, though I wouldn't say my chest has ever been 100% right since.

• Like 1

I was very sick in December 2019 until the first week or so of January 2020.  Bad cough, trouble breathing.  Went to the doctor several times and at the second visit they had me breathe in oxygen for an hour or so.   I have been sick with bad coughs before and trouble breathing but this seemed much worse.  I finally got better but even now I have sort of a chronic congestion in my throat that hasn't gone away.  I've been using this throat sprayer that has been really helpful--especially at night when it seems to be worse.   But, all of 2020 and now into 2021 I have not been sick with my usual couple times a year coughs.  

Hard to say. Would be nice if antibody test were available. Problem here is that many covid symptoms similar to what you'd get during "normal times" due to health threatening pollution levels. Right now at 101, 4x WHO okay level. "Unhealthy for sensitive groups"

• Like 2

My guess is that a lot of the population has probably had Covid.  Back in July most of the locals in the Amphur were coughing and snottering all over the place.  I got it and beat it in about a week.  A lot of other people were hacking for the better part of 6 weeks.  I bet if they administered the cheap antigen tests they'd be floored by the results.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Thanks for the info, it seems that I'm certainly not alone in this. It's a pity we can't get antibody tests done easily, it would probably be a relief to know that you'd had it and survived.

Yes provided that gives you some immunity.... but consensus seems to think you do, but it lasts for a limited time.... and would a different strain cause you different reaction? So may questions that seem to push everyone to getting the vaccine. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, najomtiensun said:

I'm convinced there is  an endemic milder strain ubiquitous in Thailand and if you test a lot you find a lot. Unless the government were minded to test a larger representative sample like they do in UK and other countries do, then we will never know. Probably wouldn't suit anyone's agenda here to know the truth either particularly if the success of controlling the virus was as much down to accident than design. 

I maybe wrong but their methodology seems to start from backwards tracing and testing a symptomatic hospitalisation which are relatively rare and then find a lot of asymptomatic/unproblematic positive cases as a result. 

• Plus vitamin D and a healthy national diet and low levels of obesity and disability 
  • sunshine and outdoor well ventilated culture
  • ubiquitous mask wearing and cultural social distancing
  • population that treat it as a public health issue and not a 'freedom/politicized' issue

When the news began to spread that Covid 19 had been around in China for sometime before it was officially announced, I had to ask myself 'how could it not have come to Thailand' during that period. The number of Chinese tourists coming here and the demographic spread within Thailand of the virus were, to me a smoking gun.

This bullet point of yours is also of interest: 'sunshine and outdoor well ventilated culture'. Once again I point to the demographic spread of the virus in that it hardly made any headway in the rural hinterlands, where life revolves around sunshine, fresh air and natural social distancing. And it seems to be protecting us up in 'rice paddy land' this time around as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Guderian said:

, and I have no idea where you’d get antibody tests done to see if you’ve had Covid in the past,

Went to my local lab here in Issan for cbc months back and enquired about covid test cost , couldnt do on site needed to go to a hospital, however this lab did offer an antibody test for 1000 baht.

Lab is part of the Thonburi labs group many branches and possibly one in Pattaya or nearby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sapson said:

Went to my local lab here in Issan for cbc months back and enquired about covid test cost , couldnt do on site needed to go to a hospital, however this lab did offer an antibody test for 1000 baht.

Lab is part of the Thonburi labs group many branches and possibly one in Pattaya or nearby.

Thanks, that's interesting. The blood lab that seems most popular here in Pattaya is Lifecare in South Pattaya, I've used it many times myself. I believe that it's an independent lab, not part of a group, but I'll get hold of them and ask about an antibody test. If it settles this uncertainty, it would be well worth 1,000 Baht.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes provided that gives you some immunity.... but consensus seems to think you do, but it lasts for a limited time.... and would a different strain cause you different reaction? So may questions that seem to push everyone to getting the vaccine. 

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The stories you read about the new variants were saying that they're no more deadly than the original flavour, just a lot more contagious, but now I'm reading reports saying that the Kent variant causes 40% to 60% more fatalities than the original one. Which is it, I don't know? And the views on how effective the various vaccines are against the new variants seem similarly mixed.

I also wonder if people who were asymptomatic when they caught the first virus would have a similar response if they got a dose of the South African version now. So many unknowns. I was offered the AZ vaccine a week ago, but it would have meant travelling back to my local GP's surgery in the UK, so I had to graciously decline. Still, until we can get a non-Chinese and non-Russian vaccine here in Thailand, it would at least be some comfort to know that you'd survived Covid once, even if it was the wimpy original version, lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Thanks for the info, it seems that I'm certainly not alone in this. It's a pity we can't get antibody tests done easily, it would probably be a relief to know that you'd had it and survived.

The only thing with antibody tests from what I believe is they have a shelf life. Up to 6 months I was informed.

• Like 1

My wife and I got sick January 3rd 2020 after a trip to Chyaipum  with the same symtoms as previous OP's and it last for about a week. We went to the doctor and she got oxygen there days in a row plus a shot for pneumonia and I hade fever and a cough for about two months after. We are both fine and I have ben thinking about this many times if it was Covid 19...

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The only thing with antibody tests from what I believe is they have a shelf life. Up to 6 months I was informed.

I'm not sure, as with so much else where Covid is concerned, but you may have seen the stories recently in the papers saying that they're finding people in France with antibodies that they somehow date to October 2019. There have been other stories over the last year about people in Italy and China with antibodies that they somehow correlate with the virus before it became a known entity (at least outside the virus weaponisation lab in Wuhan, lol).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I'm not sure, as with so much else where Covid is concerned, but you may have seen the stories recently in the papers saying that they're finding people in France with antibodies that they somehow date to October 2019. There have been other stories over the last year about people in Italy and China with antibodies that they somehow correlate with the virus before it became a known entity (at least outside the virus weaponisation lab in Wuhan, lol).

Just did a bit of research and this was interesting. That word maybe again.

"Antibodies may be detected in your blood for several months or more after you recover from COVID-19. Although these antibodies probably provide some immunity to the COVID-19 virus, there's currently not enough evidence to know how long the antibodies last or to what extent past infection with the virus helps protect you from getting another infection."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/covid-19-antibody-testing/about/pac-20489696

Edited by Laughing Gravy

On 2/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, darksidedog said:

I have asked myself the same question. I had a couple of off days around February last year followed by a persistent phlegmy cough, especially in the morning. Found myself short of breath when wearing a mask to do the shopping. It has very gradually improved, though I wouldn't say my chest has ever been 100% right since.

Phlegmy ? Covid symptons are a dry cough, but not inclusive, still possible if you have difficulty breathing.

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

When will people ever learn that antibiotics do not work on any virus?  All you are doing by over using them is helping future bugs develop resistance to antibiotics so when you might actually have a bacterial infection they won't work.

When I had the coronavirus, ibuprofen was a big help, and I am not talking about just for pain relief.

No idea how that works but it did.

Edited by TaaSaparot