World Class Resort? Neo Pattaya takes a lashing as resort is deluged - improvements "a pipedream"

webfact

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

How does that tunnel/under-pass fair when it floods like this?

I was caught up in this about 4pm. Sukhumvit just in front of the tunnel entrance going south was badly flooded with 4 lanes going to one/two to either go through the tunnel or up to the lights at the top of Pattaya Klang. The tunnel appeared unscathed but I was going up to Klang so cannot be certain. Some smaller cars were stopped at the side of the road as there was a Swift seemingly abandoned in the middle of what would be the 2 left lanes.

Traffic coming north out of the tunnel and down the hill from Klang was at a almost complete standstill as some individual vehicles slowly went through the flooding on that side.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

The big question! Where did the money go?

It went into massive drain flooding projects (2015) like this one that had 2m drainpipes going out hundreds of meters offshore from this sump at North end (also soi6 and South end. But it was not engineered correctly* and  as shown the project failed with pipes packed up with sand. Resulting in the washouts. * maybe pumps were necessary. 

IMG_20210218_093901.jpg

IMG_20210218_093332.jpg

IMG_20210218_093405.jpg

IMG_20210218_093035.jpg

IMG_20210218_092909.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shuya said:

Amazing water management. The city is under water and the reservoirs are empty.  

The Reservoirs that supply Water to Pattaya and the surrounding Area are indeed really dry. I would estimate that there is only about 15 % capacity of Water in them at this moment, and the Dry season has barely began.

Billions, upon Billions of Baht have been spent on " Infrastructure ", and nearly all that Money has gone on to making straighter, faster Roadways.

Infrastructure includes also Water management, Waste Management, and Environmental Controls Etc, but there has been very little spent on these things, which make Pattaya still a very backward City, with extremely poor Infrastructure.

This is one of the Major stumbling blocks for Investors into the EEC and other projects, and why there will be little success for any new Airports, Etc within the EEC.

• Like 2

Enormous  pipes installed in beach road and bypass road have absolutely no  effect during downpour. Must be  very big  marginal costs on these contracts. All capital projects  in Pattaya seem just to generate big margins without  any effective outcome? 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

They should check out the word 'gravity' and 'flow dynamics' in Google. Apparently the Pattaya authorities are not acquainted with the concepts. 

Oh! My goodness! You mean water doesn't flow up hill!??

6 hours ago, polpott said:

No improvements needed for me. To add to @sandyfs anecdote, i can remember going out during the great storm in 2015, parking the bike at the side of Tukcom and watching the waters rise from the steps of Friendship supermarket. An overhead transformer exploded near us showering sparks and molten metal everywhere so we decided to make a run for it. Waded waist deep, chest deep for the g/f, across Pattaya Thai then waded down Soi Buakhow and eventually to Soi Diana beer bars, which are raised up from the road. Sat there as the water slowly raised up the legs of our bar stools and we watched 2 young Aussies having a swimming race down Soi Diana. A real party atmosphere with everyone having great fun. Memories are made of this, I wouldn't change Pattaya for the world.

If you don't love Pattaya, warts and all, don't come here, if you live here, move elsewhere, lots of quieter places in Thailand. If you want 24/7 fun and a party with amazing memories, come to Pattaya.

Telling people what do do, is only effective if I am paying their way in life. Otherwise, it comes off as just another forgettable utterance.

7 hours ago, polpott said:

All the photos in the OP were taken from the same point, bottom of the hill on Sukumvit before it rises again towards Pattaya Tai. Always floods there when it rains heavily and usually takes an hour to drain off. Zero flooding where I live.

It's still Pattaya.....

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

On a more positive note with water levels rising like this eventually all cables will be no-longer visible.???? Voila beatification 

"beatification". Really?

or "beautification "?

Not much difference, but still.........

• Thanks 1

Do the math, you can put in all the drains even larger ones to store the water underneath the road while it slowly drains into the ocean making it look like the problem is solved if the people don't see the water above ground.

No matter what you do when the storm comes like it did yesterday the problem is going to continue. You got to built a system a Master Plan where the rain water is brought to a number of reservoir small or large which there is basically none. 

You can't just continue to build roads and making them beautiful it is just a illusion until the rain comes!

Mayor by the way how many times are you going to tear up Pattaya Nua, which once again is being done. I think this is number five now?  Did I hit the number of your I.Q!

• Like 2

Sorry to all expats who live there. It’s lovely place to visit yet a sh?! Ho!e where most of the old creeps hang out although you probably know already. I support the gov cleaning it up if they actually can or will. I get tourists wanting to check out the action but the long stay creeps ... it’s sickening. Creeps ....don’t worry,  there is always some place you can feel at home. 

Edited by Jud Canada
Missed detail
  • Haha 2