Forcing their policy on health insurance

villageidiotY2K

Hi peeps, i watched some dude explaing about health insurance in thailand on youtube.

He mentioned that, due to thai law, if one is insured for over 2 years, the insurance company can't omit the treated conditions from the policy.

I checked my policy and I had it for over 2 years and it says the coverage for that treatment will be omitted once covered once.

<<<< Profane and offensive comments using ALL CAPS have been removed >>>>

Please kindly share your experiences, thank you in advanmce.

79249.jpg.8b0e44d705d1369907f7f2efc1b26b13.jpg79248.thumb.jpg.fa52f73e4fa8f15473b7bd8d563d01f3.jpg

Edited by metisdead
Removed profane and offensive comments using ALL CAPS

It looks like the pages you posted refer to the initial waiting period for a number of diseases. Most insurers will put waiting periods on cover for certain diseases to prevent people from taking out a policy when they suspect or know they have a disease. It is the waiting period that is waived for these diseases when the policy is renewed. This does not mean that an insurer can't put a limit on how much or how often they will cover a disease or condition.

Bear in mind that an insurer can non-renew a policy at any time, or simply jack up premiums, so with commercial insurance there is never a guarantee of continued, full, affordable, coverage.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
Punctuation.

18 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Bear in mind that an insurer can non-renew a policy at any time, or simply jack up premiums, so with commercial insurance there is never a guarantee of continued, full, affordable, coverage.

That is probably true in Thailand, and to a lesser degree in USA.

But in most European countries insurance is strictly regulated - as it is in the public interest - and such shenanigans would not be allowed.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That is probably true in Thailand, and to a lesser degree in USA.

But in most European countries insurance is strictly regulated - as it is in the public interest - and such shenanigans would not be allowed.

Yes, I should have qualified this to refer to Thailand. Other markets often have better protections for policyholders. I don't think there is any regulatory bar to non-renewal or substantial premium increases here. The US is a patchwork of regulation as it is done at the state level, so some states may have relatively good protections and others not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

pls check the highlight krab

Inked79248.thumb.jpg.fa52f73e4fa8f15473b7bd8d563d01f3_LI.jpg

The policy has sub-limits for groups of diseases, but the pages posted don't seem to state whether these are annual or lifetime limits. If they are annual limits, they could get reinstated at renewal, but I suspect they are lifetime limits as that is how I think most medical insurance policies work. You should be able to find somewhere in the policy whether these are annual or lifetime limits.

I don't think there is any Thai regulation prohibiting the use of lifetime limits and I also don't think that exhausting a lifetime limit is the same thing as having an element of coverage removed, but you should ask a good local insurance broker about this.