Anyone tried the 7 eleven coffee stations?

greenmonkey

I Went on a coffee plantation tour in Paksong, Laos, east of Pakse on the Bolaven plateau. At the end of the tour the owner lit a fire for an average-sized wok, a handful of beans, shook it for about 10-12 minutes, and the beans all popped open. There wasn’t any 11 hour wait before brewing. I don’t remember about grinding. Everybody got a cup or two. It was great, pretty strong though. I figure if you can get unroasted beans from Doi Tung, other northern areas, or Laos, it would be cheaper and tastier.

Does anyone know where to get unroasted SEA beans? Hope I’m not hijacking the thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Get a big one for 50 baht with a double shot

Unfortunately not all the stores seem to have the larger cups. Easy solution, just buy 2 smaller cups. Nice and hot so can enjoy for longer. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Unfortunately not all the stores seem to have the larger cups. Easy solution, just buy 2 smaller cups. Nice and hot so can enjoy for longer. 

that solution is more worldwide known than you could imagine... for example, in OZ there's a choice of the $1 the $2 and the $3 size...   If you were to cross tip the contents between them all, the $1 works out the best value for the buck.   

One thing one cannot do in LOS but Can in OZ, is to be able to 'tailor' ones drink: (Not that it is advertised as such)

- for achieving the best Latte for me; is to Select the stronger Expresso Shot button, and then Fill the remainder of the cup from the HotMilk button. The actual Latte Button selection per se, simply is No match for it...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

I recently tried a 25 baht hot latte from the local 7 eleven coffee station and was very pleasantly surprised. Quality coffee, tasted good and was hot!

How is it being made? (I suspect those machines that take ground coffee capsules/sachets are easier to maintain than the 'real' espresso machines in Starbucks etc, and therefore produce more consistent results.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

Arabic coffee for me. Green beans toasted. Cardamom and if your flush saffron and rose water. Dates to accompany.

You can get dates; pretty tasty ones; at some of the Starbucks in Pattaya. Avenue mall springs to mind.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

I probably risk the wrath of any coffee connoiseurs, however, I must say I recently tried a 25 baht hot latte from the local 7 eleven coffee station and was very pleasantly surprised. Quality coffee, tasted good and was hot! And all for 25 baht!!! Taste wise it equaled anything I have had at amazon, starbucks or any of the other coffee shops. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am I just showing my lack of appreciation for the finer things in life!?

I was forced to try it due to being in the middle of nowhere without any shops of any kind, except, of course, for a 7/11. I have to agree that it was actually pretty good by local standards. I'd say better than Amazon for sure, but not quite as good as Starbucks (which I am not a massive fan of), but then it's a 1/3 of the price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm very not a coffee snob, instant is my poison of choice, I don't own a coffee machine, just a kettle.

7/11 hot coffees are good for me but, for iced coffee, I much prefer Family Mart.  One of my favourite "indulgencies" is a large Family Mart iced coffee while having a foot massage.  Bliss, sets me up for the day perfectly.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7's coffee overall seems to have good reviews & I agree. I prefer going the route of buying quality ground coffee to be made anytime with a coffee maker, on demand. (I keep one in my backpack - joking) Consistency will be the same.

Overall, with 7's coffee and the plentiful choices for ground coffee to be bought online, there are many better economical choices with quality, than Starbucks.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NewGuy said:

I Went on a coffee plantation tour in Paksong, Laos, east of Pakse on the Bolaven plateau. At the end of the tour the owner lit a fire for an average-sized wok, a handful of beans, shook it for about 10-12 minutes, and the beans all popped open. There wasn’t any 11 hour wait before brewing. I don’t remember about grinding. Everybody got a cup or two. It was great, pretty strong though. I figure if you can get unroasted beans from Doi Tung, other northern areas, or Laos, it would be cheaper and tastier.

Does anyone know where to get unroasted SEA beans? Hope I’m not hijacking the thread.

Take a look on lazada and shoppee. If you plan on throwing them in a wok then I suggest searching for peaberry beans. That way the beans will roast more evenly.

I buy Green beans on Lazada where there is a very good choice of beans from many countries to mostly reasonable prices. I roast and grind the beans which give me fresh and good quality coffee. I estimate that my coffee cost is a third of what it was before when I bought roasted beans. 

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No problem with 7-11 coffee whilst travelling, does the job.

Only observation and slight gripe, its WAY too damn hot, cany get near it for 15 minutes ! 'til cools a little.????

Too bad you can't burn yourself and sue for millions. : )

14 hours ago, onebir said:

How is it being made? (I suspect those machines that take ground coffee capsules/sachets are easier to maintain than the 'real' espresso machines in Starbucks etc, and therefore produce more consistent results.)

7-11 uses whole beans, which are put into the grinder on top of the coffee-making machine, festooned with press buttons (8, I think) for various coffee drinks. The clerk presses Americano. The pour is about 6 oz in an 8 oz cup. It's hot and often better than anything I can buy in any name brand CHAIN coffee shop you can name. (Brain Wake on Sukhumvit soi 31 at 33 used to be pretty good when I went there. There are many good independents.)

I make my coffee at home mostly (Wawee beans), and only buy a 7 Americano when I want a bit of a different taste or I'm hotelling it somewhere.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Details
  • Like 1

I used to have their 25+ baht coffee but they'd often screw it up, it's too small, latte isn't right. I've now switched back to 14 baht 3 in 1 if I need a coffee + ice so it doesn't burn your throat off. Shame they don't have 2 in 1 or 1 in 1, well overdue

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Haha 1

Best 25 thb coffee in the world !

Especially for all the ridiculous people who drink anything else but espresso, then try to explain that they are coffee connoisseurs !

If you want to know if a coffee is good, take am espresso without sugar, and taste it, otherwise saying that a coffee is good or not is just BS, same BS as most people who tell that this food or that other food is the best !