Expats in Thailand to be given COVID-19 vaccine: CCSA

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

...and think about other people who could be negatively affected by your decision not to vaccinate yourself.

vaccines do not prevent you from spreading it, vaccines do not stop you from getting it. They apparently, in some people stop symptoms from being too bad. You can find this info on the UK Gov website https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination/what-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination

5 minutes ago, LuckyNo4 said:

vaccines do not prevent you from spreading it, vaccines do not stop you from getting it. They apparently, in some people stop symptoms from being too bad. You can find this info on the UK Gov website https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination/what-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination

covid.png

On 2/18/2021 at 6:15 PM, RichardColeman said:

Get the feeling it will be get a offered non-branded Vaccine for free or a vaccine of your choice at a ridiculous price

As per new immigration reqs ...

Farangs pays . 

Nothing new , under the Sun ..

On 2/18/2021 at 5:55 AM, mahtin said:

You should read this first.

...and what ? The article clearly says that The Minister of Public Health elaborated on the deal to produce AstraZeneca’s vaccine in Thailand, NOT that this was the vaccine currently being offered. 

On 2/18/2021 at 5:11 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

There's this: 

No Chinese vaccines (fake or otherwise) for me. But just when will the health regulators get around to approving the likes of Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, Novavax, and AZ? Based on their current predilection for home-made and Chinese shots and lack of foresight, maybe next winter 2022.

AZ has been licensed for manufacture in Thailand.

5 hours ago, LuckyNo4 said:

lol i have a full healthy life already. I dont need vaccination thanks. Fearful existence, you guys praying for a vaccine are the ones living a fearful existence. 

Your health is not the issue. Without the vaccination certificate your life in the new normal will be very restricted. No theatre, no cinema, no sport events, no public gathering, no fly, no cruise, no train, no bus. Good luck

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Expats in Thailand to be given COVID-19 vaccine: CCSA

breaking news banner V2.png

Thailand has repeated its commitment to give everyone in the country - including expats and migrant workers - vaccinations against COVID-19.

Speaking on Thursday, Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) deputy spokesperson Apisamai Srirangsan said that everyone living in Thailand, including foreigners, will be able to receive the vaccine. 

"The distribution of vaccinations will include expatriates and migrant workers”, Dr Apisamai said. 

She added that Thailand will receive its first batch of vaccines on February 24, with those deemed to be most at risk the first to be inoculated. 

People working in the tourism or service sectors or those that are likely to come in contact with foreign tourists would be vaccinated in phase 2 from May. Expats and foreign workers are likely to be vaccinated in phase 3 from June. 

Dr Apisamai said the rollout of the vaccine will aim to achieve three goals, including to curb infections and reduce deaths from the virus, ease the burden on Thailand’s healthcare system and revive the economy.

Dr Apisamai also said that the private sector will be able to procure its own vaccines, providing the vaccines have approval from the regulatory authorities.

Vaccinations administered by the private sector can only be done so at a recognised medical facility, Dr Apisamai added.

The news echoes comments made earlier this month by Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul who also said foreigners in Thailand would receive the vaccine. 

“The 63 million doses of the vaccination are enough to cover the public, and it’s within our capacity to provide free vaccinations,” Anutin said. 

“Our policy is to not leave anyone behind and we must inoculate anyone at risk of spreading the virus, not only Thais. So the vaccines will cover everyone that resides in Thailand,” he added.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-18

What disgust more than the covid 19 crisis is the ignorance of people in the way the degrade the chinese in all this 

Between the following dates december 2019 till march 2020 the area Prathumnack cosy beach the following hotels had 25000 people from Wuhan these hotels are mountain beach hotel and cosy beach hotel not one member of staff has contracted the virus not 1 member of the public in the area has suffered any symptoms of the virus and yet people continue to slander a country 

I am to quote these figures as I live 200 yards crom the hotels Its a pandemic we are all aware of it 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

The Flu vaccine is a new vaccine every year, that is why its effectiveness varies year on year.

No, it is not a "new vaccine", it is updated to keep up with variants of the flu, e.g. mutations, as mentioned earlier, it has been around for decades, updating does not mean new.

• Thanks 1

Obviously vaccinating the 4 million or so foreign migrant workers free of charge is a priority and it doesn't make sense to leave expat residents unvaccinated either. But the number of vaccines they have ordered doesn't stack up, being only enough for 31.5 million.  If you add all the foreigners the population must be over 70 million.  So only 45% and way short of what is needed for herd immunity. They had been start ordering more double quick.  Also there is no guarantee that the local licensee in Thailand will be able to start production on time or will be able to scale up according to specification. 

Vaccines are not a core competence of Astra Zeneca's but they were a convenient partner for Oxford because they are nearby, have a global distribution network and obviously were not developing a competing vaccine because vaccines are not something they normally do.  Having no facilities for vaccine production of its own Astra Zeneca outsourced the entire global production to licensees around the world.  Its supervision of the production by licensees has unsurprisingly been patchy. There have been huge problems getting licensees using new factories to scale up on schedule.  Yields of early batches have often been far less than expected leading to shortfalls and the row with the EU which was caused by the failure of the Belgian licensee to scale up to target production levels.  The one bright spot has been Serum Institute of India, the Indian licensee, which is a huge company with vast experience in and production facilities for vaccines.  SII is producing 800 million doses a year and is required by Astra Zeneca to export half of them.  (It is unclear why Thailand refused 2 million doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine from India at cost.)  Hopefully the Thai licensee can learn from the problems of other licensees and produce on time and scale up.  However, it is a rather small and inexperienced business which had to build a new factory for this, so we will have to wait and see.  Also Thailand has no control over where the vaccines from the local licensee will go, since Astra Zeneca set up the 200 million dose production agreement for Southeast Asia and Thailand only ordered 26 million from the initial production.  Astra Zeneca has large commitments to produce for the WHO COVAX scheme (that Thailand refused to join) and it makes sense that the Thailand licensee should help Astra Zeneca meet those commitments within Southeast Asia.  Indonesia has ordered 20 million doses of Astra Zeneca from COVAX and Astra Zeneca recently told investors that Indonesia was a higher priority to receive doses from the Thai licensee than Thailand itself, since the pandemic is worse in Indonesia, which seems perfectly logical from their standpoint.   We will have to see where the initial doses do go in the event but allowing them to be sent to Indonesia under the COVAX scheme would hardly be a major PR coup for the government.

It is becoming increasingly clear that tourism is not going to recover until Thailand has vaccinated a sufficient percentage of its population to meet herd immunity against all known variants.  Why would tourists from a well vaccinated country want to come to a country that is exposed to the risk of a new outbreak at any moment, when they have many safer choices?   The Thai government needs to stop thinking about just protecting Thais from foreigners and start understanding the need to protect foreign tourists from unvaccinated Thais. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fakser said:

Your health is not the issue. Without the vaccination certificate your life in the new normal will be very restricted. No theatre, no cinema, no sport events, no public gathering, no fly, no cruise, no train, no bus. Good luck

tell me again... the purpose of this vaccine if it cannot stop you from catching it or spreading it? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LuckyNo4 said:

tell me again... the purpose of this vaccine if it cannot stop you from catching it or spreading it? 

from todays bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-18/can-a-vaccinated-person-still-spread-the-coronavirus-quicktake?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=asia&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-asia

vaccines do not stop you from catching and spreading covid. 

Okay, if something happens to me after the vaccine or if by chance in five years' time I get cancer or some autoimmune disease, who takes criminal and moral responsibility: the CCSA, the Government, Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan, my useless Embassy or me?

Let them put this down on paper as well, with an autographed signature.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Okay, if something happens to me after the vaccine or if by chance in five years' time I get cancer or some autoimmune disease, who takes criminal and moral responsibility: the CCSA, the Government, Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan, my useless Embassy or me?

No one.  Developers, manufacturers and governments around the world have made it very clear that they have no legal responsibility for vaccines that have been approved for emergency use only which is the case for all the COVID vaccines including in Thailand. You have the option to refuse the vaccine (if offered) only.

Glaxo's H1N1 vaccine caused naroclepsy in about 1,500 people in Europe a couple of years later but they have managed to avoid paying any compensation due to the emergency use loophole.  They refused to pay any voluntary compensation. It's just tough titties if you get something nasty from the vaccine. They say the chances are low because none use a live virus but this is totally uncharted territory producing vaccines for corona viruses which has never been done before. So we will only know the truth in a few years' time.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

Why should anyone be "responsible"?  When it comes to vaccines, there is always going to be some degree of risk, just like if you go into hospital for even the simplest procedure, or when your doctor prescribes certain medications.

The question is whether risks are acceptable or not (i.e.: Do the benefits outweigh the risks?)

In the case of EVERY approved vaccine that I know of, very rigorous and intensive clinical trials assure those risks are reasonable.  I mean, in simple language, these vaccines are intended for use in the ENTIRE population, so I think it's safe to say their standards of determining potentials risks are extremely high.

That's why I think all of the negative hysteria being voiced in this thread about vaccines is not only nonsense, but detrimental if it scares people into making decisions on whether or not to be vaccinated that are based on emotion, rather than science-based logic.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2