Thai Birth Certificate

ArranP

My children were born in the UK but are Thai by descent, their mother is Thai.

We registered their births at the Thai consulate in London UK, and received their Thai birth certificate there.

I had a house fire a few months back and am now in the process of getting original copies of their birth certificates.  I visited the local amphur but they could not find any record of their birth certificate on their system, they recommend I contact Laksi ?

So, do I go back to the consulate in London or do I contact Laksi for the birth certificates ?

I am no longer married to their mother, nor have any involvment with her, but I do have custody of the children awarded by the Thai court. 

I welcome advice from a person with similar experience or one who has knowledge of the correct procedure to follow.

Edited by ArranP

Do you have any digital record (scans) of your Children's Birth Certificate ?

I this case, instead of an either or attempt approach the situation from both angles - Contact both Laksi Amphur Office and the Thai Embassy in London. 

Out of curiosity ? why Laksi ? is that the Amphur to which your Children’s Thai Birth certificates were linked ?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I this case, instead of an either or attempt approach the situation from both angles - Contact both Laksi Amphur Office and the Thai Embassy in London. 

Out of curiosity ? why Laksi ? is that the Amphur to which your Children’s Thai Birth certificates were linked ?

And... Where are you at the moment ? (in Thailand or the UK). 

I imagine the Thai Embassy are closed during Covid-19 and operating remotely, so e-mail is the way to go. 

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have your children been registered at a Amphoe to get a Thai ID number and are registered in a house book?

Do you have any copies of there birth certificates? Getting those certified at a Amphoe may be possible.

Yes both children have been registered at the Amphoe and have been issued their Thai Citizen ID cards, but the same Amphoe is unable to find records of their birth cirtificate on their system. I had taken and shown to them printed copies I have kept electronically.

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And... Where are you at the moment ? (in Thailand or the UK). 

I imagine the Thai Embassy are closed during Covid-19 and operating remotely, so e-mail is the way to go. 

We live in Krabi.

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm guessing Laksi because they have a lot of governmental offices their that deal with international matters.

Their Citizen ID cards were issued in Krabi, their mothers house book is from Nakhon Sawan.

53 minutes ago, ArranP said:

I'm guessing Laksi because they have a lot of governmental offices their that deal with international matters.

Their Citizen ID cards were issued in Krabi, their mothers house book is from Nakhon Sawan.

Believe all Thailand birth records are now stored at government facilities in Bangkok for last several decades and that is probably in Laksi area.  Years ago they were often stored in schools and other government buildings and upcountry and many were lost to fire, rain and vermin.  

Your children were not born in Thailand. You applied for their birth certificates via the Embassy in the country they were born. I am guessing your children were born before about 2014.

After 2014, all children registered from abroad are entered into the database used by all District Offices, and as such their birth record can be accessed by District Office staff.

For those born abroad prior to 2014, the birth records are held by the Department of Consular Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Lak Si, Bangkok.

You can get a copy of the birth certificates, but it is expensive (from memory about 2,000 baht). Also, be advised that the waiting period is 2-3 months. This is because the Ministry of Foreign Affairs corresponds with the Embassy where you registered the birth to prevent fraud and confirm the birth is genuine.

You need to go to:

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaengwattana Road

Thung Song Hong

Lak Si

Bangkok

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ppF3j7apYF18kzW57

The staff are very nice. They are used to ordering replacement birth certificates so you won't be asking for anything out of the ordinary.

• Like 1