Fourteen day quarantine for tourists set to end - two plans mulled for April 1st start, sources suggest

webfact

On 2/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, paulikens said:

@internationalism i presume you are in one of the three groups expats,workers,businessmen?what are tourists to you then, some sort of scum? and anyway if you have been vaccinated it doesnt matter what group you come under you will still only have to do 2 days quarantine under the proposal.  will that meet your approval, or do you think dirty tourists should not be allowed to come at all? oh great one!

Hey calm down. And don't get stressed and have a heart attack here in Thailand, medical care is expensive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Simons3 said:

They keep forgetting one thing, they are trying to attract Families...... but there is no Vaccine for Children!! so  do 17 an unders still have to go into 14 day Quarantine ?... mind you my wife and I are fine with that! we can both Hop off down to Koh Samui for ten days then pick up our 4 and 8 year olds from what's left of the hotel after they finish their 14 day stint ha ha ????

Have to agree with you. Both my daughters are married with 6 kids between them, love it here on holiday but can't make any plans until there is some rational plan in place to allow in tourists.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I might just fly back to the US to get a jab if I know I can come back without a quarantine. Fantastic news.

Additional good news, 

Since we started with vaccinations,, new cases and hospitalizations here in the US are significantly down. And.

"Covid-19 vaccines may prevent infection and not just symptoms, study suggests

"A team at the Mayo Clinic health system looked at more than 31,000 people across four states who had received at least one dose of either vaccine -- and found their vaccines were upwards of 80% effective in preventing infection 36 days after the first dose. "

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/20/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

The significance of this study is that without a viral load there is also no transmission , which would count very heavily towards the elimination of quarantine for those vaccinated.  

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, robbioff said:

Everyone, stop booking ASQ now!!! And if you can cancel it with a refund, do it!!! Not much longer...????

who is everyone , and coming from where?

how can you write that? 

but let people make their own quarantine at home : ????, unbelievable ! last year, the thai government did it with thai unlegal workers coming back from south Korea : they immediatly made parties with family and visit everywhere..

2 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

If they have a 14 day quarantine then what is the point of getting a PCR  tested negative certificate? If you have been tested and quarantined then why do you need insurance if you are healthy?

I suppose you need the tests as you could pick it up whilst in a hotel as has happened in Australia.

As for the insurance maybe it's just in case you still catch Covid and suffer symptoms as no vaccine is 100%. Or possibly there's money to be made by investing in the companies that provide the insurance.

1 hour ago, berton said:

who is everyone , and coming from where?

how can you write that? 

but let people make their own quarantine at home : ????, unbelievable ! last year, the thai government did it with thai unlegal workers coming back from south Korea : they immediatly made parties with family and visit everywhere..

were these "thai unlegal workers" vaccinated ?

I've just left Portugal and flown to Turkey,  Couldn't of been easier, bought a ticket in Lisbon airport, cheap as chips, had a C19 test in the airport, (100 Euros) and the next day i was on my way....   Arrived in Istanbul, filled in a personal details form and that was that........   Take note Thailand....   Sri Lanka is open as well, no quarantine required..... 

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 12:18 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Complete idiots, shows just how out of touch and uniformed they are. I know they've got nothing better to do than twiddle their thumbs at the moment but better to go on tik tok or something anything other than planning for tourists to come until Thailand has been vaccinated. 

First =nobodoy wnats to venture on vacation in Thailand and get the virus. 

Second anybody coming to thailand will need to quarantine back into their own country.. Canada , UK, USA and EU. 

what kind of vacation it is when you have to deal with this pandemic mess.

until the wile world determine the best plan for travelling. thailand tourist situation is cow manure for now.

The government is worry 

Just now, the green light said:

Second anybody coming to thailand will need to quarantine back into their own country.. Canada , UK, USA and EU. 

until the whole world determine the best plan for travelling. thailand tourist situation is cow manure for now.

The government is worry -still no tourist.. and let us at the fun place to visit--- all shut down.. what people are going to do in thailand - the answer is nothing.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:28 PM, internationalism said:

so not tourists (expatriates, workers, businessmen), including repatriated thai, will still have to do 14+ days, but tourists only 2 days (probably to wait for a reliable negative results) and let go to any unprepared hotel or let go to mix with a large group of fellow tourists and travel across the country for sightseeing.

and that in the country, which doesn't have a single dose of vax for it's population (bar some 100k front medical workers).

it will be full failure  

it is a stupid plan. They should allow only the people with vaccination to visit thailand.

why any stupid tourist and family ( like the Chinese picture) are all happy happy coming to thailand. they look like robot forced to

be in the picture. these are not tourist

so where tourista will go.. many business are closed including on the beach anywhere in thailand.. the poo people left back home.. no way to make a living and pay room and eat with no income. 

On 2/19/2021 at 10:10 AM, Miami007 said:

Quarantine at home in my country... sure that will work ????. I just stay home and don't go to work... SMH

Why even require a vaccination, if there are still quarantine requirements? The Thai tests are superior to others?

If you only trust your tests, then test everyone on arrival- but that won't work for millions of tourists. 

Not everyone travels in a tour group. Mostly Chinese and they are not opening to foreign travel 

Back to the drawing board until they figure out a solution.. as long as quarantine is required, there is no tourism 

they are doing every possible to get the tour package infrastructure working.  2019 was a booming year for them.

NO one with a good sense will ever come to thailand and expose his family to the virus .

unless they are stupid Chinese.

55 minutes ago, the green light said:

they are doing every possible to get the tour package infrastructure working.  2019 was a booming year for them.

NO one with a good sense will ever come to thailand and expose his family to the virus .

unless they are stupid Chinese.

How is being vaccinated and exposed to covid in Thailand ? different that being vaccinated and exposed to covid in their country?  other than there is more covid at their countries for most of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the green light said:

First = not all people think they will get C19 the moment they arrive in Thailand, they know that Thailand compared to the USA, UK and EU is practically covid free, they know there is a much higher chance of contracting the virus back in their home countries.

Second, Thailand is not expecting or targeting tourists from these locations, they care only for the tourists from China. In 2019 China sent more tourists to Thailand than the UK and all the EU countries combined, 2021 will be no different.

24 minutes ago, taxin said:

First = not all people think they will get C19 the moment they arrive in Thailand, they know that Thailand compared to the USA, UK and EU is practically covid free, they know there is a much higher chance of contracting the virus back in their home countries.

Second, Thailand is not expecting or targeting tourists from these locations, they care only for the tourists from China. In 2019 China sent more tourists to Thailand than the UK and all the EU countries combined, 2021 will be no different.

Well, not just China.  2019 numbers:  China: 10.9 million.  Other Asian countries: around 15 million.  But, definitely Thailand is counting on Asia rather than Europe and the Americas these days.

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

were these "thai unlegal workers" vaccinated ?

surely not, it was last year , thai illegal workers in south Korea , when covid arrived quickly in this country; theese thai people ask to thai government to repatriate them (free) ..but they decided to not respect quarantine at home , going with family, parties , so on...

All you need is test on arrival and then therapeutics like Ivermectin or Hydroxychloraquine doses for one week after arrival. This would eliminate all threats of bringing the virus into the country and stop any exposure in the past or present from taking hold in the person and hence in the community. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, berton said:

surely not, it was last year , thai illegal workers in south Korea , when covid arrived quickly in this country; theese thai people ask to thai government to repatriate them (free) ..but they decided to not respect quarantine at home , going with family, parties , so on...

That's the point I was trying to make. 

That allowing vaccinated people to quarantine  at home  would not be as dangerous as then, because even though , those people might brake quarantine. they would have a substantially diminished chance of transmitting  the virus as they did then.  

It is now reported that the transmission rate among vaccinated people  could be reduced by almost 80%  .

"“Whether it is 75 or 90 percent reduction doesn’t matter - it is a big drop in transmission,” Linial said. “It means that not only is the individual vaccinated protected, the inoculation also provides protection to his or her surroundings.” "

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int-idUSKBN2AJ08J

Anyway, policy to allowed vaccinated people will not occur for over a month, and I am sure by then we will have additional data, confirming or disproving , so we will see, but the prospects look good, here in the US we already have  a significant reduction in cases. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 5:28 PM, internationalism said:

so not tourists (expatriates, workers, businessmen), including repatriated thai, will still have to do 14+ days, but tourists only 2 days (probably to wait for a reliable negative results) and let go to any unprepared hotel or let go to mix with a large group of fellow tourists and travel across the country for sightseeing.

and that in the country, which doesn't have a single dose of vax for it's population (bar some 100k front medical workers).

it will be full failure  

Sounds like this quarantine at home is for those who own or rent properties, I only Say this as the article talks of a special chaperone service. 

Will that be a 10,000 Bhat taxi from BK to Pattaya and then a stationed keeper parked outside your home for 14 days at further costs plus tips for running to the seven 11 and Mac Donald's. 

At least they are starting to talk about ending quarantines.  Getting people to quarantine at home before travel is completely unenforcable so that's a non-starter.  Requiring chaperones is also a non-starter for most except the asian tour groups that already do that.  So nothing to see here imo but at least their are starting to talk about ending quarantines and that's a good thing.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 11:17 PM, Miami007 said:

Sure .. that will work

Requirement 1: get vaccinated- not easy in most countries for anyone under 65

Requirement 2: quarantine at home. Who supervises that? Who can stay away from work for 2 weeks before going to LOS on vacation?

Requirement 3: test in Thailand. What happens, if they test positive?

People do not deal with these hurdles

Your right... There is a lot to work out. I have several conditions that make me eleigible even though I am a young 64 years old! ???? I was wondering how you could prove you did 14 days at home.... Hmmm....

On 2/19/2021 at 11:50 PM, internationalism said:

mobile quarantine certainly is for tourists - as an alternative to home (to more exact - hotel) quarantine. 

Very few tourists will be able to rent fully furnished home just for 2 weeks. I don't think apartment setting do count here, as it means interaction with the other people, to some extend - lobby, lift, staircase.

Tourists do need comfort of ordering food from hotel restaurant, rather than delivery from foodpanda or supermarket - it's simple for a local.

as to repatriating thai - very few would have vax abroad

The 14 day quarantine is to be done in the country you are coming from. NOT Thailand! You do it in your home! You don't think repatriating Thais would get the vaccine in wherever they are coming from? Why is that?

not any country in the world would allow tourists to come without quarantine just by their declaration, that they have self-quarantined in their homes. There is not any way to prove it.

and still those tourists would have to travel to the airport, perhaps by the public transport and fly with repatriating thai, who even didn't have a test.

Large part of thai immigrants might not have any vax soon, same as the majority of population in any country. So far some 100mln people had one jab, that's only around 1% of the world's population. Some countries haven't started their programs yet. Say some 2% of population is to be vaccinated each month.  And private jabs for tourists might be not available  

I wonder if/when there will be the return to the pre-Covid rules for getting the tourist visa. I mean, just showing proof of air ticket booking, proof of accommodation and proof of a reasonable amount of money. And, of course, no quarantine, vaccination, health insurance etc. 

Or, do you think for instance the hefty insurance requirement is here to stay for good (or for a long time)? 

My guess is there WILL be the return to the old ways, but it most probably won't happen before around this October.