I'm starting to get weird pains in my body.

jack71

A few weeks ago I started getting pain in my right knee joint. First time its ever happened. I do a short run/ fast walk every day with my dog- twice a day but never had an issue. I noticed when walking upstairs I get a sharp pain. 

4 days ago I had severe neck/ back pain. We were staying in a hotel and unsure if it was the pillow. Ive never had that sort of pain before either. 

This morning I woke up with pain on the sole of my right foot. Actually it was all a bit numb  as well on the right foot area. 

Im middle aged. Is this just an old age thing. Anyone with any ideas?

• Like 1

Neck pain maybe a one-off, if persists see a doc. See youtube for neck stretching exercises. Can strengthen your neck pretty safely via isometric holds. 

Knee/foot issue probably related and could have something to do with tendonitis and muscle imbalance, altered biomechanics, arthritis, and relative overuse. Or not, but unless you want to go ahead and start spending money, I suggest you stop the walking/jogging/stair climbing and work on rehab via stretching, strengthening, and foam rolling. In the meantime, bicycle, row, or swim. Or do resistance exercises: they're also good for cardiovascular. Find some things here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stretches+for+runners

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knee+pain+foam+rolling

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knee+pain+relief

After you do that seriously for a month or two, if you can, then start back doing some walking and see how it goes. I would first get new trainers as well, a recognized brand and model with good reviews. And you might want to try a neoprene knee brace:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sportschannel-outdoors-knee-support-brace-sports-running-basketball-gym-leg-patella-guard-i255487787-s394022947.html?search=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/outtobe-2-kneepad-patella-belt-kneepad-knee-support-brace-i486844580-s875054410.html?search=1

But a knee brace isn't a substitute for any rehab, obviously.

If you don't have the discipline to try and keep at it, then eventually the problem may go away on its own, you can resume activity, and wait for it to come back after a while, as it surely will.

Otherwise, after the X-rays and the MRIs, maybe a med or two, a doc may (or may not) prescribe PT, and then you can pay for a therapist to help you stay motivated. Can't do that, then at some point you're probably going to hear the word "surgery." Who knows, but I would think (though NOT a doc or health pro) that at your age you normally could fix this (or keep it in check) w/o going to such a length.

Keep us posted.

Edited by BigStar

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have aches and pains that come and go all the time, knee, neck, foot, I don't worry about it and it goes, if it stayed then I'd explore further investigation if serious. 

This.

One-off neck/back pain after sleeping in an unfamiliar bed, I would pay no mind to. if it becomes persistent then that's a different matter.

Likewise one off foot pain/numbness on waking up is likely just related to position you slept in.

Sounds like the knee pain may be persisting, if so could be so called "runners knee" AKA chondromalacia. Stop running until it fully resolves. Treatment is rest, ice, and sometimes a brace will help. Minimize stair climbing. Also there are targeted exercises which you can find online.  See an ortho if it persists.

Once it resolves you might do well to substitute brisk walking for running. Much kinder in the knees, and knees do need coddling as yo uage.

• Like 2

Sounds totally normal. Just lay off for a few days.

Also, hotel beds and pillows mess me up all the time.  I went to the hospital one morning in Europe it was a nice hotel, but the bed was mush messed up my back and neck I need ultra firm. Could barely walk.

Edited by bkk6060

On 2/19/2021 at 11:06 PM, Rookiescot said:

I used to be very fit. However after years of running, hill walking and just general exertion I started having issues with the cartilage in my knees. 

Eventually the cartilage in my right knee split. Luckily it happened when I was walking along a road and not half way up a Munroe.  Had to have an operation where they basically cut half of it out. Surgeon told me at the time my days of hill walking were now over.

You might find less stressful exercise beneficial. Perhaps more swimming. This gives you a good cardio vascular workout but without the pounding on your knees you have been taking.

General aches and pains? Tell me about it. Most mornings I wake up and its easier to list whats not hurting than what is.

I hope you mend soon.    

I had my cartilage in ym right knee removed when I tore it playing basketball. I could not straighten my knee after that for I can't remember how long. Saw a doc, and made appointement for it'd removal via arthroscope surgery. Im 52 now and the knee is still fine. I can jog 5 km on it. But in Australia with cold mornings that knee would get stiff and painful. The warm weather here helps. I'm wary of it and don't stress it too much. Perhaps I will develop arthritis there, but not anything so far that I notice. I use an elliptical machine wheich seems better than jogging. Not sure about hill climbing though!

• Like 1

I was getting shifting pains first in the heal of one foot then to another then to side of foot then toes. At times I literally had to crawl around the house. Then it hit me bad in one knee. Had been to doctor before but not much help. 

So time for another visit and went to a different doctor. First thing he did was an X-ray and a blood test. A couple hours later he had the results. First was fluid on the knee which he said he could fix that day and second was I had high uric acid causing gout in my feet.

He said he had one great medication for the uric acid but you can die if allergic to it so did another special blood test to see if I was allergic. So he sucked   the fluid from my knee there and then. A week later he put me on 3 tablets for the uric acid. That was around 2 years ago. No more pains since.

One thing I did learn was re diet and uric acid (gout). Most people I have heard talk about it says diet important. I said that to him and he said even with the best diet it would only reduce my uric acid by about 10%. I was about 10.9 and needed to between about 4 to 7. The best of diets I would be still too high. I have not changed my diet at all and last test uric acid was just over 5.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:17 PM, bkk6060 said:

Also, hotel beds and pillows mess me up all the time.  I went to the hospital one morning in Europe it was a nice hotel, but the bed was mush messed up my back and neck I need ultra firm. Could barely walk.

Hospital  beds are miserable 

1 hour ago, Aomelia said:

Hospital  beds are miserable 

I read a fascinating book recently by a professor of neurology who specializes in sleep.

He says that sleep is one of our most important healers and the worse place to be when you're sick is in a hospital!

I walk the soles off on the outsides of my shoes. If I wait too long to get the heels repaired it will cause me pain in my knee. In regards to neck pains, I usually get them when I don’t eat on time for several days. Somehow the muscles in my neck don’t seem to like not being feed on time. That pain then goes away a few hours after I eat. Maybe you should start alternate running and walking, one day running one day just walking to give your body a break. I’d go and see a doctor, too, if I was you. 

Hmmm, not that I don't have compassion for you. However, we are on this forum for a specific reason. Why are such personal - health and other subjects, which really have nothing at all to do with the forum title are published  here?
Are there not other threats for these and other non forum -  subjects? 
Just my 5 c. 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:03 PM, jack71 said:

A few weeks ago I started getting pain in my right knee joint. First time its ever happened. I do a short run/ fast walk every day with my dog- twice a day but never had an issue. I noticed when walking upstairs I get a sharp pain. 

4 days ago I had severe neck/ back pain. We were staying in a hotel and unsure if it was the pillow. Ive never had that sort of pain before either. 

This morning I woke up with pain on the sole of my right foot. Actually it was all a bit numb  as well on the right foot area. 

Im middle aged. Is this just an old age thing. Anyone with any ideas?

Check up for Dengue?

There is a time when it starts. You might call it middle age.

In Middle Ages they were already past away at your age.

Makes sense?

Some Qi Gong might help.

Less red meat also.

It's just the way it is growing older.

Go back where you came from, in the cold climate you will have more issues for sure ????

I only make a comment for a bit of humor. First, I am 74 and so attribute much to aging. But I do have a football injury to report which causes my recurrent pain. You see, a college football play (American football) came at a right  angle to my knees and as we all know, knees do not bent in that direction. Tore the cartridge in both knees. I had to sleep with towels wrapped around each knee for a year to protect me from the pain. Years later I had arthroscopic surgery on one knee to trim the tears. Every once in a while, the cartridge pieces will float and cause pain but most times, all is well. Where is the humor? Well, I was not playing, I was standing on the sideline, talking to friends as the ball and two teams headed my way! Well, I find  it a bit humorous now ...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chopinbkk said:

Hmmm, not that I don't have compassion for you. However, we are on this forum for a specific reason. Why are such personal - health and other subjects, which really have nothing at all to do with the forum title are published  here?
Are there not other threats for these and other non forum -  subjects? 
Just my 5 c. 

duh.... this is the 'Health' forum. Did you think you're in the footy forum??

Why do you read this post if it annoys you? Ha ha. Your comment made me laugh

On 2/20/2021 at 2:17 PM, bkk6060 said:

I think thats what happened to me. I just had a dodgy hotel bed and woke up in so much pain all day. Lasted 2 days. Had a massage and was happy at the end of it. It healed me.