Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

French musicians with no work permit/illegal party busted at Koh Samui "Hippie Festival"


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No masks, no social distancing,,,,,,,,,these idiots give us all a bad name.

2 bottles and some bills. That´s a really good days work for the police. Oh, by the way, they nabbed 4 musicians too. I have always told them to keep low key. Do NOT sing!   Anyway, I am

French musicians with no work permit/illegal party busted at Koh Samui "Hippie Festival"     Bo Phut police and military officers descended on a restaurant on Lamai Beach that had

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RackedLeyland said:

You were lucky to get away with just a blank stare. 

Yes, as the stare could easily not use e been blank, but have had graffiti on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

No masks, no social distancing,,,,,,,,,these idiots give us all a bad name.

Yes you're right. Just a bunch of privileged neo-hippies  

 

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

2 bottles and some bills. That´s a really good days work for the police.

Oh, by the way, they nabbed 4 musicians too. I have always told them to keep low key. Do NOT sing!

 

Anyway, I am happy to hear that they did not have some one playing with an organ on the scene. The most vulgar instrument a musician can play with.

Worse than an accordion? I don't think so😝

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

The lack of covid-19 precautions is regrettable but I suspect that these musicians were just having a public jam.  I think they were not paid and if that is the case no work permit should be required.  My wife has gone to a few local jams that happened to be at a restaurant/bar.  Musicians use these opportunities to play with others.

 

This reminds me of the great gambling raid in Pattaya on a bridge club!

In Phuket no Farang Jam, paid or not guys have their equipment confiscated jing jing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, judokrab said:

"They were singing too."
55555555

 

Wow! Multi tasking French musicians!

 

Becuse they were singing too, does that mean they require 2 work permits each?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

“Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious”
 Peter Ustinov

 

If you post was funny I would have laughed.

If you had a sense of humour you would have laughed!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it illegal to have a jam... musicians who just come together to play?  

Is it illegal to play at an open mic night?

Does it depend on the venue?

Does it depend on whether payment is made?

So, we had a Blues festival here in Pai recently... were the farang musicians all playing illegally?

If you play at an event say a wedding of a friend, are you playing illegally?

If you are a guest performer, are you playing illegally?

Whjere is the line or do authorities just make it up as they go along?

Edited by arend
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

The lack of covid-19 precautions is regrettable but I suspect that these musicians were just having a public jam.  I think they were not paid and if that is the case no work permit should be required.  My wife has gone to a few local jams that happened to be at a restaurant/bar.  Musicians use these opportunities to play with others.

 

This reminds me of the great gambling raid in Pattaya on a bridge club!

In Thailand, NO "work" can be done without a work permit, including painting your wife's house (You can't own a house).  work is defined as anything that requires movement or thinking.  Technically, that would include taking a dump, but nobody's been busted for that yet.  

 

No foreigner can get a work permit to play music or to paint a house.  Both occupations are reserved by law exclusively for Thais.  The theory is, that even if somebody is working free, they are taking work from a Thai.   So, listen up, folks, no jam sessions, period.  If you do, it had better be behind closed and locked doors with the curtains drawn.   And don't paint your house either.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arend said:

Is it illegal to have a jam... musicians who just come together to play?  

Is it illegal to play at an open mic night?

Does it depend on the venue?

Does it depend on whether payment is made?

So, we had a Blues festival here in Pai recently... were the farang musicians all playing illegally?

If you play at an event say a wedding of a friend, are you playing illegally?

Everything you mention is illegal for a farang.   All of it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What if they were "Covid refugees", ie not able to return home and under the special Covid visa extensions for foreigners stuck in tbe country, and they had no money ? Begging is not allowed, nor is stealing.. Who said they were working ? Were they being paid for tbeir gig or just fed and quenched ? 
To me it is a case of innocent until proven guilty. A couple of beers and bills are no proof of illegality to me .. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...