French musicians with no work permit/illegal party busted at Koh Samui "Hippie Festival"

rooster59

On 2/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, VocalNeal said:

I saw a (non Thai) graffiti artist one time in BKK. I just casually asked, as he was painting in an exposed spot, if the had a work permit. I got a blank stare. 

Doesn't matter how much they are told. They are too cool to worry about actual laws.

That being said there are western musicians who jam in bars in Bangkok. Even used to be western bands. As long as local bill knows and is paid, all is OK. 

I used to sit in with musicians playing bass and singing in Pattaya quite often. The soldiers can stick their work permits where the sun don't shine. I assume "local bill" is the police. They won't have gotten paid either, unless the bar manager paid them.

Speaking from experience. I was one of the musicians rounded up in CM 10 years ago. I was in the wrong for many other reasons other than music and admit that. It was jamming in a bar that got me arrested, jailed & deported. Thankfully, I was able to make bail due to the help of some good friends. That allowed me to go out seek and find work (without a permit) to get money to leave the country nearly a year later once my conviction and deportation went through. It was an ordeal that I will never forget. Oddly enough, working illegally to fight a charge of working illegally. Go Figure.

That was an incredible and challenging journey that I hope no other foreigner has to endure in the LOS. I have so many fond memories from my stay there, but it was a very dark time in my life. Wouldn't trade if for anything though. Just a chink in the armor that left a mark that I will never forget.

My advice to any Foreigner/Falang travelers and expats wanting to play music is to do so carefully. This can send your life into a whole new level hell, and I've been there.

Hope the newbies can get out of the clink quickly and get back home. Not a good place, and I still have nightmares.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, J Town said:

I've  played music over half the world and NEVER was I under threat of arrest for jamming in public. What countries are you referring to that will arrest you for playing for free in public?

I sat in with a band in a bar in Nashville Tennessee for half the show, no payment apart from soft drinks and food for myself and girlfriend, and no talk of any work permits. Just to say I played with a country band in Nashville was enough for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Musician isnt on the Thai only job list, I know a guy in Bangkok works as a musician with a work permit.

Funny that, some Thai musicians, I emphasis "some" were as good as the musicians back home in Scotland.

acctually sad news. proof of what a strict and hard place Thailand has become in the

past few years. Most touristic countries will wellcome such casual musicians and will not

arrest them for illegal working. i understand the current pandemic situation requires policing

illegal gatherings, but why to arrest people why? this kind of attitude will hurt thai tourism in the end, news fly fast and most יHIPPIES -some of them are veru good spenders - will avoid thailand all together.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

2 bottles and some bills. That´s a really good days work for the police.

Oh, by the way, they nabbed 4 musicians too. I have always told them to keep low key. Do NOT sing!

Anyway, I am happy to hear that they did not have some one playing with an organ on the scene. The most vulgar instrument a musician can play with.

Do not sing!

Because if you get the lyrics right it’s a dead giveaway you are not a local Samui Thai rock band and subject to arrest for embarrassing them.

• Haha 1

I have 2 good friends both good musicians will play for Free they dont need money just for the enjoyment in a local bar, Anyway both have gone to Vietnam where it seems they can jam anytime they want, it was one of the things they checked out before they made to move. 

23 hours ago, ibtg68 said:

My girlfriend and I moved to Koh Samui in December and we went with a friend but did not arrive until after 5:30 pm. We were told by the bartender that the police had shown up and cleared some people out and that the owner went to the police station to “clear up the matter”. Long story short; apparently the owners had not “cleared the matter” with the police prior to the party taking place. Interpret that any way you like. 

People were still arriving and there was a Thai Hippie band playing bongo drums and a didgeridoo. They eventually gave way to reggae music the likes of Bob Marley which was played on the sound system. 

With all that being said, the establishment had just undergone a recent remodel and this was their re-opening party. It’s right on the beach in Lamai and an otherwise decent place to go for drinks. 

Thanks for the update.

Typical Thailand, either you pay before hand a modest fee or you pay afterward allot more! Either way the local BIB is going to get their share (if not more). My friend owned a bar for 15+ years and like clock work the BIB would show up each week for their fee.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, VocalNeal said:

I saw a (non Thai) graffiti artist one time in BKK. I just casually asked, as he was painting in an exposed spot, if the had a work permit. I got a blank stare. 

Doesn't matter how much they are told. They are too cool to worry about actual laws.

That being said there are western musicians who jam in bars in Bangkok. Even used to be western bands. As long as local bill knows and is paid, all is OK. 

I think there is a special visa for artists, and not too difficult to obtain?

Edited by AlQaholic

On 2/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, arend said:

Is it illegal to have a jam... musicians who just come together to play?  

Is it illegal to play at an open mic night?

Does it depend on the venue?

Does it depend on whether payment is made?

So, we had a Blues festival here in Pai recently... were the farang musicians all playing illegally?

If you play at an event say a wedding of a friend, are you playing illegally?

If you are a guest performer, are you playing illegally?

Whjere is the line or do authorities just make it up as they go along?

Has it become illegal to go to a Karaoke bar and sing along without work permit??????

I used to go to a number of small bars around Bangkok where farang musicians would play.  They all had regular day time jobs in Bangkok but liked music and had formed some bands with like minded individuals.  Naturally they played on the weekends as they couldn't be out too late on a weeknight.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Having fun is now banned, be careful not to be seen carrying a musical instrument, and never sing in a bar, including karaoke. 

Im also worried about that, Karaoke Im pretty good even though I say so myself I got invited to one a while ago I mentioned it to the owner about WP this is Phuket, if they see a bunch of farang having a bit of fun, Not allowed, 

I guess I've lived here too long I know what they can do if they want to,

On 2/20/2021 at 9:46 AM, BritManToo said:

I'm not French ..... why does it give me a bad name?

If you are a farang it does.....thais don't,  ir cant be bothered, to distinguish between nationalities.

If you are white then you are a farang.

Its just ignorant racism but the education system doesn't offer them open thinking. 

Thats why black people are just called chocolate man/woman.

So sad but we should try to help them understand, poor little buffalo jockeys.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nsp64 said:

If you are a farang it does.....thais don't,  ir cant be bothered, to distinguish between nationalities.

If you are white then you are a farang.

Its just ignorant racism but the education system doesn't offer them open thinking. 

Thats why black people are just called chocolate man/woman.

So sad but we should try to help them understand, poor little buffalo jockeys.

AHHHH. That's why Arabs are called Arabs. Now we know. Thank you for your wisdom.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 11:35 AM, Hanuman2547 said:

I used to go to a number of small bars around Bangkok where farang musicians would play.  They all had regular day time jobs in Bangkok but liked music and had formed some bands with like minded individuals.  Naturally they played on the weekends as they couldn't be out too late on a weeknight.

I'm fairly happy that old white amateur 'musicians' playing 70s rock music is frowned upon here.

I'd rather have my ears gouged out than  listen to that sort of stuff.

Nothing wrong with Thai bands playing Thai music IMHO.

• Like 1

I have a friend who was at the party. He said a number of police and plain clothed officers showed up. One started hassling my friend, and told him to go into a room, where they were all being booked. He did not. The guy got distracted, and he made a run for it. Good on him. His friends spent the night in jail, and had to pay a fine of 4,000  baht. For attending a small party. These are all people who live on Samui or Phangan, have had no exposure for weeks now, and yet they are still trying to hassle people, and scare them into submission. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm fairly happy that old white amateur 'musicians' playing 70s rock music is frowned upon here.

As long as you dont have a Filipino band playing Hotel California 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Although there is that too, some of the bands were quite young as in all under 30.  They also wrote and performed some of their own material as well as a lot of covers.  I particularly liked one of their songs about Tata Young back in the 90's.  It was quite funny.

There was also an African/American guy that was very good at singing R&B/Soul covers with his band.  Good times!