Banishing Night time Cramp in Older Age

Pilotman

Night cramps can be really painful. I too found a multivitamin with Calcium Magnesium Zink + D3 helpful. My pharmacist also recommended a tablet with B1,B6 & B12 which seem to help a lot as does eating bananas (Potassium I think). These have helped a lot but still get them from time to time. Erectile meds seem to make it worse. On those occasions I'm ok with a few cramps ???? 

• Haha 1

I am 75 and, until a couple of months ago, I got woken every night with a pain in my left leg. This was not cramp, but a doctor suggested that improving my blood circulation would help. He said I should do this by elevating my legs so that my feet are higher than my heart. Since I started doing this, I have had almost no pain. Given that a restriction in the flow of blood to the muscles is one cause of cramp, this exercise might help.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nervona81732 said:

Magnesium. I use it every afternoon so I don't get GOD awful cramps at night in my lower legs.

Works great . Diagnosed and dispensed by a real Dr. Just saying.

I've always heard that magnesium is the solution - it's one of the ingredients in his tablets ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not sure if I read it on here, but I have suffered from night-time cramp for a few years now, very painful and every night at some point.  I have tried the hydrating, avoiding salt, exercise etc etc advice, but I read a few weeks ago that a combination tablet containing Zinc, Magnesium and Calcium would help. I take two tablets per day and so far, the cramps have gone, almost over night .  Early days yet I know, but it seems to be working,  thank goodness. I pass this on for the benefit of other sufferers.  

I've always heard that magnesium works, it's one of the ingredients in your tablets ...

• Like 1

I exercise daily, 74 yrs old, do at least 10km EVERY morning (7 miles in 2 hours, brisk walk) and occasionally some evening walks too.  Last year I began to suffer leg cramps at night occasionally and saw on healthline or men's health that drinking a glass of water just before sleeping should stop the cramps.  I began that fearing though that I would have to wake up to go urinate but to my surprise, no waking at all and NO cramps at all.  I realize this might not work for all, as I normally hydrate sufficiently during daytime but, it stopped my cramps and I continue with no other adverse effects.  Good luck!

• Like 1

You can try more salt, more magnesium and B vitamins. I had severe cramps and only vitamin B pills helped in the end. I ate a lot of tofu and vegetables at this time. Perhaps I did not have enough B12. Since I take vitamin B pills occasionally I never had a problem again. If I stop them I will get cramps after a while again.

Yep, me too..!

Started after long haul flights years back.

Bro is a Physio, told me to take staminade, worked a treat.

Took it same day I arrived, never had cramps.

A few years back it started every few weeks, so started more regular use of staminade.

Now I put a teaspoonful of the powdered varity in a glass of soda water every morning, no cramps, day or night, ever..!

Deficiency in minerals and trace elements I'm told.

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have tried the hydrating, avoiding salt,

Hydrating is good but if you have an active outdoor life you probably need salt as well. The doctors will tell you no salt, but magnesium as others have said.

I hydrate with beer and add extra salt to Lay to make up for what I loose after a hard day.

• Like 2

It’s the magnesium that does it.  A well known muscle relaxant.  You need a ratio of 2:1 - magnesium: calcium.

Even foot baths with Epsom salts help (magnesium), then you can get magnesium gels to massage your legs/feet, anything you put on your skin gets absorbed.  Generally we get so much calcium in our fortified foods so rarely needed as a supplement.  However, magnesium a different story. 

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not sure if I read it on here, but I have suffered from night-time cramp for a few years now, very painful and every night at some point.  I have tried the hydrating, avoiding salt, exercise etc etc advice, but I read a few weeks ago that a combination tablet containing Zinc, Magnesium and Calcium would help. I take two tablets per day and so far, the cramps have gone, almost over night .  Early days yet I know, but it seems to be working,  thank goodness. I pass this on for the benefit of other sufferers.  

its the magnesium that is curing you.

switch to just magnesium, 2 before bed.

you can take the combination tablet in the mornings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It could be RLS.

Restless leg syndrome which there is a medication to help.

I'd love to know what that is, unless you are talking about the medication for epilepsy, which has too many side effects.

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

I exercise daily, 74 yrs old, do at least 10km EVERY morning (7 miles in 2 hours, brisk walk) and occasionally some evening walks too.  Last year I began to suffer leg cramps at night occasionally and saw on healthline or men's health that drinking a glass of water just before sleeping should stop the cramps.  I began that fearing though that I would have to wake up to go urinate but to my surprise, no waking at all and NO cramps at all.  I realize this might not work for all, as I normally hydrate sufficiently during daytime but, it stopped my cramps and I continue with no other adverse effects.  Good luck!

Start eating pumpkin seeds , the copper content keeps your prostrate smaller so no urgency to pee it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to work after you will never get up or rush to toilet in morning 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Serious side effects. My RLS comes and goes, so I'd prefer to tolerate it than take any more drugs. Already take medication for high BP and Gout.

Edited by giddyup

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Tks. My husband suffers from it. On the other hand, a friend with the same issue was found not to eat enough salt. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aomelia said:

Start eating pumpkin seeds , the copper content keeps your prostrate smaller so no urgency to pee it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to work after you will never get up or rush to toilet in morning 

and the CU intake may be beneficial; to counter if the Zinc component in OPs tablets is higher than the daily recommended...