What to put onto the surface of this table that will last.

JAS21

I have always put PU10 on the service and I like the result, shiny and brings out the colours. But some of it gets the sun and that area deteriorates faster and ‘someone’ has suggested that I try something else.

I have to say I like PU10 as it is very easy and quick to apply.

Just wondered if anyone has had success with another product before I go out and buy PU10 ...tks

image_50376961_20.jpg.b110c1d90fbb870f32185219d290fc0d.jpg

9 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

My father used a marine varnish for outdoor wood furniture and always looked good.

Correct. Use a 2-part marine epoxy varnish. Chugoku and International are readily available at marinas. Best results by spraying, but it's toxic! Get an expert to do it for you! Be sure that all remnants of previous coatings are sanded off before you start.

• Like 1

I have for years used this stuff...

a Clear Bare Timber Sealer

Image result for Bunnings wood sealant 

its performance is remarkable, considering it is labelled as 'temporary' 

I have tested it out on various Outside applications:

- 29 months ago I Sealed a few sections of our then new bare Pine Fence around the house. The Sections are today as good new as the day the fence was erected... 

- as the Sealant for a semi-ground submerged pine border around the back lawn... this has now been layed over 6 months ago; copping daily saturations from the garden hose

• Like 2

My handyman suggested that I use the adhesive carbon fibre tape or sheets that they apply to the bodywork of vehicles to protect them, or make them look nice again after they've been scratched. I never tried it, but quite liked the idea, it would certainly be tough, long-lasting and easy to do, and not too expensive, though probably more than a can of varnish.

This is the kind of stuff I mean...

5967a40d9f170c712a869dc1-large.jpg?cache

55 minutes ago, Guderian said:

My handyman suggested that I use the adhesive carbon fibre tape or sheets that they apply to the bodywork of vehicles to protect them, or make them look nice again after they've been scratched. I never tried it, but quite liked the idea, it would certainly be tough, long-lasting and easy to do, and not too expensive, though probably more than a can of varnish.

This is the kind of stuff I mean...

5967a40d9f170c712a869dc1-large.jpg?cache

Those are extremely unlikely to work on anything that is not a smooth nonporous surface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

I use UV resistant polyurethene which I have found to be good for years in direct sunlight. Lots of random orbital sanding and several coats then more sanding and several coats. Repeat 'till surface is like glass. Sanding is done with progressively finer grit and the finish is so rewarding.

P_20190819_130426_p.jpg

For a superb surface Epifanes varnish is probably the best, it’s expensive but provides a superb finish. I have it on an interior table but it’s designed for exterior use.2BE1CBFA-03F1-4B86-BA86-715126E3528B.thumb.jpeg.196da710cee7c6c5ebda4b860cb75774.jpeg

This is an amazing UK company that stocks some amazing products.

I used them when I had my own small business in Lancashire - UK.

https://www.liberon.co.uk/contact/

Anyone that loves wood will love Liberon .....

* Hey JAS — Any chance of you posting a 'before-and-after' photograph?

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

For a superb surface Epifanes varnish is probably the best, it’s expensive but provides a superb finish

Agreed. Based on Tung oil and for marine use. Available in Thailand? Probably not.

9 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I have always put PU10 on the service and I like the result, shiny and brings out the colours. But some of it gets the sun and that area deteriorates faster and ‘someone’ has suggested that I try something else.

I have to say I like PU10 as it is very easy and quick to apply.

Just wondered if anyone has had success with another product before I go out and buy PU10 ...tks

image_50376961_20.jpg.b110c1d90fbb870f32185219d290fc0d.jpg

Use a good outdoor furniture Oil. 

An oiled wood offers a highly durable surface which resists water, dirt and stains. It is superior to varnishes since when it requires reviving, the required finish is so much easier to attain. A very light sanding followed by a coat of oil and job done. ... The choice of oils on the market is huge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stay away from epoxy, it don't last long in the UV radiation here. I painted the best Jotun marine epoxy topcoat on some steel, it lasted less than a year before going chalky. Wasted money/work, a cheap oil based paint would have lasted longer.

Polyurethan for outside use is the way to go if you want a hard surface. I have used Epifanes here but that was long ago. Don't remember but maybe I found it in Langkawi. Could be available in marinas in Phuket or Pattaya.

JAS do you have a sander? To get rid of the old finish. Not overly concerned about the actual look? 

It is not so big. When sanded melt a whole bunch of candle wax in a pot and paint with that. (white candles better but yellow from temple is OK) When completed scrape off excess with a paint scraper.and if you like you can repeat. 100% impervious to any liquid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pogust said:

Polyurethan for outside use is the way to go if you want a hard surface. I have used Epifanes here but that was long ago. Don't remember but maybe I found it in Langkawi. Could be available in marinas in Phuket or Pattaya.

It’s available on Lazada 

image.thumb.jpg.55288799e54309ee2d3d048079f34e66.jpg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1