Thai airways - what do you think will happen - refunds/credit advice

millymoopoo

I have a multi leg business class ticket with Thai, was for April 2020, we all know what happened then.

So after contacting them then I was offered refund or credit for later, was told credit would be good for at least 2 years
with option to extend for another year, so I selected credit, but now I'm thinking maybe better try for refund, incase they fold.!.

As we know they've gone into bankruptcy and of course covid has messed with them big time too.

Certainly we won't be able to travel unrestricted this year, maybe not next year either (or part thereof),
that will probably  bring it past 3 years (booked/paid Oct 2019).
Would members like to share their advice on what to do, keep the credit or go for refund.?

Are they even processing refunds.?
It is a lot of money to loose if they go bust and I join a long list of unsecured creditors.

Advice based on first hand knowledge or experience rather than mere speculation please.

Thank you

I'd search and read for similar topics here and on rtavel forums, like FlyerTalk, where you will get some real world experiences. Tons of similar threads here.

Can you describe your ticket status? Have you started your journey, used any segments to date?

Can you describe the itinerary?

You've contacted TG and done what, exactly? Pushed the Itin? Requested a credit?

Do you plan to travel on the original itinerary? You are in Thailand now?

It's too late for a credit card dispute. Some have had luck with a charge-back. But you may be out of luck. Maybe consider having TG re-write the ticket now for travel to LHR, CDG, or somewhere they're flying a few times per week.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:24 AM, millymoopoo said:

I have a multi leg business class ticket with Thai, was for April 2020, we all know what happened then.

So after contacting them then I was offered refund or credit for later, was told credit would be good for at least 2 years
with option to extend for another year, so I selected credit, but now I'm thinking maybe better try for refund, incase they fold.!.

As we know they've gone into bankruptcy and of course covid has messed with them big time too.

Certainly we won't be able to travel unrestricted this year, maybe not next year either (or part thereof),
Would members like to share their advice on what to do, keep the credit or go for refund.?

It is a lot of money to loose if they go bust and I join a long list of unsecured creditors.

Advice based on first hand knowledge or experience rather than mere speculation please.

Thank you

i do not know what will happan with thai airways, but can tell you what happaned to me with two other airlines which i had tickets from march 2020. in both cases i chose a refund over a voucher, and in both cases i did not get my money until now. in one case, i spent allmost 70 hours on phone calls and emails, and still did not get any money. it became so redicilous that i was calling them just for fun. i asked the agents there how much they earn, and calculated for them that the amount the airline spent on the time spent answering the calls, is much more than the amount they owe me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, andy said:

the bank is basically only concerned if the actual transaction for the ticket purchase was fraud. 

i got money back from the credit card company for two flight, in the pre-covid era, that did not allow

me check in because i did not have a return ticket from the destination country.

i proved to them that i had a return ticket from the region to my country, and claimed that

i was not notified in advance about such a new strict tule, and they did refund my money.

• Like 1

We are all in the same boat,  together with about 1 million other ticket holders.

I asked for a refund, none came and they gave me a useless voucher. 

I did submit a claim through the bankruptcy court,  but heard nothing back.

All we can do for now is just wait and see, but good to keep threads like this active.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Understand March 2nd is crunch day, either they will be ‘re-born’ or be put into bankruptcy, if the later then forget getting anything back

3 March. This is their third and last extension allowed, not that that really prevents another extension if I had to guess.

And who knows what's in the plan? Long-haul, discount? Short-haul (Asia/China), Y/J? Long-haul, full service? What do creditors get? Satang? Stock?

Really need to understand the OPs' itinerary. The flights may never return to the schedule, knowing the cities one could make a reasonable assessment.

For most, maybe best to just write off the loss. But if you can travel, try to re-build a ticket, without laying out too much more cash.

ROP Miles are probably worthless. Maybe use them to buy some old aircraft or fried dough?

On 2/20/2021 at 11:24 AM, millymoopoo said:

Thank you

In mid Nov 2020 I applied for a refund for 2 Delhi to Bangkok 1 way Business Class tickets both purchased on TG India website using a credit card. Refund was received 1st week of January 2021. I did not follow up at all so was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, andy said:

You were lucky, I have not heard of anyone else on this forum getting a refund.  Usually, 1 way tickets on full service airlines are of the fully refundable fare type though - was this the case?

I think that there was a charge of INR 2,000 for refunding a ticket when I purchased but this was waived for both tickets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rimmae2 said:

In mid Nov 2020 I applied for a refund for 2 Delhi to Bangkok 1 way Business Class tickets both purchased on TG India website using a credit card. Refund was received 1st week of January 2021. I did not follow up at all so was pleasantly surprised.

This may be something unique to the TG subsidiary operating in India.

There were some refunds early on, like a year ago. Haven't heard of any in ages.

And some reported success with charge-backs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

And who knows what's in the plan? Long-haul, discount? Short-haul (Asia/China), Y/J? Long-haul, full service? What do creditors get? Satang? Stock?

There are some clues in the ongoing recurrent crew training. That would suggest that the A380, 747, 777-200 and A330's are gone for good while the 777-200ER, 777-300ER, 787-8, 787-9 and A350's will remain in service.

From that, it would also seem First Class is a gonner.

39 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

The ticket is business class

Can you share the itinerary? The city (ies) served may never be aded back in to the schedule, assuming you still want to fly there.

40 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

Eg: London, with only the price difference as added extra, no fees.

Assuming you can travel I would use the residual value sooner rather than later. TG is flying several routes somewhat reliably at least 2X weekly.

40 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

Also FYI she also said the inside 'goss' is the restructure will go ahead

Yes, front-line CSR's ALWAYS have reliable information.

41 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

collapse from bankruptcy would be too much loss of face

Sorry. That's already happened. TG has collapsed and is in bankruptcy court.

Face long gone. No amount of lipstick, or black paint, will improve the appearance of the pig.

Yes, there may be a restrutcturing plan approved by creditors and the court, which will lead to an exit from bankruptcy (in 2 ~ 4 years). The question is: what will the new THAI Airways "look" like, and will they still honor an old ticket, or fly where you want to go?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

There are some clues in the ongoing recurrent crew training.

There are really only two or three options.

Other than direct, non-stop service and price, what can they really offer/compete upon? Service? <cough>

The silk is no longer smooth.

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This may be something unique to the TG subsidiary operating in India.

There were some refunds early on, like a year ago. Haven't heard of any in ages.

And some reported success with charge-backs.

Maybe doing about 50 return flights in business class between Bangkok and India (mostly Delhi) in 3 to 4 years and knowing many of the Thai Airways staff in Delhi helped, but I did not ask for any special treatment.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:49 AM, rimmae2 said:

Maybe doing about 50 return flights in business class between Bangkok and India (mostly Delhi) in 3 to 4 years and knowing many of the Thai Airways staff in Delhi helped, but I did not ask for any special treatment.

Can't see that being a factor, but THAI isn't really a well-oiled machine, so anything is possible.

Processing refunds based on your "special-ness" is probably not a good policy?

Plenty of THAI country offices were run as fiefdoms, with local management skimming millions of baht. A few of these made the press, but only a few.

On 2/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, andy said:

You were lucky, I have not heard of anyone else on this forum getting a refund.  Usually, 1 way tickets on full service airlines are of the fully refundable fare type though - was this the case?

Probably because most people don't think about reporting positive things on TV?

On 2/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, thedemon said:

There are some clues in the ongoing recurrent crew training. That would suggest that the A380, 747, 777-200 and A330's are gone for good while the 777-200ER, 777-300ER, 787-8, 787-9 and A350's will remain in service.

From that, it would also seem First Class is a gonner.

That's what I heard as well, but A330 crews still do their monthly SIM. Makes no sense if you are going to kick them out. 

On 2/25/2021 at 8:30 AM, mtls2005 said:

Can't see that being a factor, but THAI isn't really a well-oiled machine, so anything is possible.

Processing refunds based on your "special-ness" is probably not a good policy?

Plenty of THAI country offices were run as fiefdoms, with local management skimming millions of baht. A few of these made the press, but only a few.

That's quite a statement, I even missed the few that made the news ???? And the top is, contrary to your statement, a very well oiled (money making) machine ???? Many people at Thai try their best but can not go against the system. They know where and who the problem is of all this mess.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

That's what I heard as well, but A330 crews still do their monthly SIM. Makes no sense if you are going to kick them out. 

Possibly that is because TG don't have an A350 simulator and training in e.g. Singapore isn't really possible now. As far as I know the A330 and A350 have a Common Type Rating and transitioning can be done with a laptop based system.

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

That's quite a statement, I even missed the few that made the news

Huge scandal, circa 2005, with London being the epicenter, but many other country's offices did the same. Estimates (low-balled) were 10 billion baht over 8 - 10 years.

Swept under the rug, but you can find it if you look.

36 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Huge scandal, circa 2005, with London being the epicenter, but many other country's offices did the same. Estimates (low-balled) were 10 billion baht over 8 - 10 years.

Swept under the rug, but you can find it if you look.

Thank you for the update, I was very busy around that time but I still remember something similar going on with the sale of their Dutch Embassy, don't remember the period.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Possibly that is because TG don't have an A350 simulator and training in e.g. Singapore isn't really possible now. As far as I know the A330 and A350 have a Common Type Rating and transitioning can be done with a laptop based system.

Correct, they don't have an A350 SIM , but still an A340 and old 737, I once had the chance to visit the SIM center. Yes or Taiwan (or Korea) but I'm talking about A330 crews and not the 350's. Some bus drivers (30) will go to Thai Smile according to an inside source.

On 2/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

We are all in the same boat,  together with about 1 million other ticket holders.

I asked for a refund, none came and they gave me a useless voucher. 

I did submit a claim through the bankruptcy court,  but heard nothing back.

All we can do for now is just wait and see, but good to keep threads like this active.

If they don't go bankrupt, the only thing we can do is NEVER book anymore with Thai.

• Like 2