The meaning of friends

georgegeorgia

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Sounds like it. And its in HER/banks name, if she dies before you, her family will be the benefactors, then you become the old fool.

It costs me 11k/month ........ no more than the rent on the identical house next door.

If she wants me to leave the house tomorrow, no problem I'll just stop making repayments.

Me and my son inherit, and her life insurance has me as beneficiary.

If she dies, I'll be quids in.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

best friend you can have in Thailand is a decent, loyal and honest intelligent wife

I settled for compliant and attractive.

If I'd wanted loyal (and loving), I would have bought a Labrador.

As for decent, honest and intelligent, had one of those in the UK and she took me for everything I owned.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I like your attitude. But it is somewhat selfish as there's no better feeling than being able to help others. Keep it up.

I appreciate the "like" from you and others.

You can say 'attitude' but it is actually part of my philosophy of life. The topic is about "friends" but due to one of the quirks of the English language, friends very rarely say of the other "they are "friendly". That is my position: I am friendly without necessarily having friends in the context of the OP.

Regarding being selfish, that I assume maybe you mean good in one sense but may also suggest I am friendly for my own gratification which is definitely not so!  I am happy only when I see that what I was able to do made some positive difference and was thanked for it. I don't ever think that someone now "owes me one" and I wouldn't give the impression that would make them feel obliged to me in the future.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

if one of my friends came and said "I need a hundred pounds to deal with gangsters or court fines of overdue utilities", there's several guys I would put my hand in my pocket for.

If they said "I need thousands to stop my home being repossessed or ending up in jail or medical expenses", there's a few I wouldn't ask questions of - don't ask me to count them...

If they said " I need a tens of thousands to stay alive"  there's very few I would not look at sceptically, and I would pay the money to the hospital.

Whether they promised to pay it back is irrelevant.   If they were a friend that I trusted, I would assume that they would if they could.  If they could not, I would accept my share in their pain.  And if they were chancers, their promise would mean nothing.

I guess my point is that your friends are not defined by what they would do, but by what you would do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bobandyson said:

After the first couple of years in Thailand I learned to be more wary of 'fellow farangs' than Thais.

You'll find out any true friends when your hands are dirty and you want a p!ss.

????

I think you will find it's Thailand that turns many farang into, well, Thai.  They become "Money Number One" as well.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I paid 2,000,000 for a house to be built for us, had a lawyer draw up a 20 year lease.

Not being funny ramrod711...but the lawyer cheated you.

You can not have a contract (that holds ) with your wife.....its against Thai law---section 1466--he should have explain to you that it is worth nothing, the house is hers, unencumbered .

Under Thai marriage laws any agreement between husband and wife entered into during the marriage can be voided by either of them at any time during the marriage or within one year from the final divorce. For this reason only a prenuptial agreement between husband and wife is under Thai law a valid contract if made pre-marriage and registered in the marriage register at the time of marriage, but it is a void contract if made post-nuptial .

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/thai-marriage-and-contracts-between-husband-and-wife.html

Edited by sanuk711

8 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

You can not have a contract (that holds ) with your wife.....its against Thai law---section 1466--he should have explain to you that it is worth nothing, the house is hers, unencumbered .

Under Thai marriage laws any agreement between husband and wife entered into during the marriage can be voided by either of them at any time during the marriage or within one year from the final divorce. For this reason only a prenuptial agreement between husband and wife is under Thai law a valid contract if made pre-marriage and registered in the marriage register at the time of marriage, but it is a void contract if made post-nuptial .

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/thai-marriage-and-contracts-between-husband-and-wife.html

I'm not worried after 13 years, it's hers anyway. I walk away a winner, she gets the house, I keep my pickup and all my income. She isn't going anywhere. Just to clarify though, the contract was prenuptial, after 5 years together she asked me if I would marry her. I told her I would, as soon as I got divorced from my first wife. So the contract was drawn up after 3 years, but 2 years before marriage. As I said it wouldn't be an issue anyway, I would sign away any rights I have, I built her a house because I wanted her to have it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Just to clarify though, the contract was prenuptial,

I'm sure you have got nothing to worry about ramros711.....

Just the way you worded the post.... "My wife and I were renting a house, then I built one got a lawyer to do a contract.....etc

Most people wouldn't have guessed your lawyer was doing a pre-nup.---anyway, good luck. Sorry for the misunderstanding.  The info is there for anyone else-- its not just about houses.....all contracts business/ cars anything--no contract is binding if married.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

But, but, but, "my lawyer is different."  ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I'm not worried after 13 years, it's hers anyway. I walk away a winner, she gets the house, I keep my pickup and all my income. She isn't going anywhere. Just to clarify though, the contract was prenuptial, after 5 years together she asked me if I would marry her. I told her I would, as soon as I got divorced from my first wife. So the contract was drawn up after 3 years, but 2 years before marriage. As I said it wouldn't be an issue anyway, I would sign away any rights I have, I built her a house because I wanted her to have it.

With a lot of these contracts, many have not considered that the Thai girlfriend / wife may pass before the farang.  Given the farang is usually older, it's not common, but does happen. Motorbike accidents being a common cause of premature death.  

Yes, yes, I'm sure her kids like you and all of that, but what a mess to be in.  TiT. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

on, but doe

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

With a lot of these contracts, many have not considered that the Thai girlfriend / wife may pass before the farang.  Given the farang is usually older, it's not common, but does happen. Motorbike accidents being a common cause of premature death. 

There is a provision on death of a spouse -- That the foreigner has 1 year to sell the property. (put it in another Thai name etc.) A will makes this more binding. It really is important to have a will.

No will, you have many problems. You may come Under section 1629 of the Civil and Commercial Code

All these laws are relatively new-- when I first came here 90s...a  Thai woman could not buy a house if she was married to a farang.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, yes, I'm sure her kids like you and all of that, but what a mess to be in.  TiT. 

She doesn't have children, I took into account that she could die before me. It's possible, but at what point do you stop doing the things you want because something bad may happen? Worst case I walk away and rent somewhere, on the other hand her family, who are all very poor (except the sister who married a Singaporean), will split the proceeds and live better lives.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 5:29 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Now personally I'm independent. Brought up that way.. I try not to rely on others for anything.  But as Jerry told me ( the aged pensioner guy) he has done a hell of a lot for some of these friends .   BUT when the tables are turned guess what.  They aren't there for him .

In my experience the people I did the most for are the least grateful and the most likely to dump me. I stopped doing things for other people for that reason.

I had a guy I'd known for 30 years take me for a years wages, and send me a nasty e mail when I asked about it.

I no longer believe in friendship any more than I believe in romantic love, and I don't believe in that an iota, having been burned by both my romantic relationships. I have family and I have acquaintances- end of. IMO people are only in relationships for what THEY can get out of it.

IMO the ones that didn't help would be unwilling to do so because such things can get complicated and hard to get out of.

Personally, unless I was sleeping with someone I'm not going to get involved in non family situations.

In the end, we are responsible for our own affairs and need to have things sorted before they go wrong as much as possible.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:29 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Another farang in Pattaya also  he contacted to go feed his dog at home but he too was busy but.  Wait for it.  ....if he could get 200 baht for a motorbike taxi. .. so he Jerry  had to arrange a paid person to do it instead 

If it cost 200 baht to get to/ from the guys house why should he do it for free?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The other one that is gold is "never work for a friend".

I used to do loads of free work for a female friend I'd known for 35 years. Never got serious as she was married to someone else, and when she became widowed I was married. Anyway, after 10 years of doing thousands of $ worth of work on her house and garden for free, she married some guy she met, didn't invite me to the wedding, and hasn't even invited me over for as much as a cup of tea and a biscuit.

I hope I never meet her on the street as I may tell her exactly what I think of her.

Women are users ..... you know that.

I do nothing for random women unless the benefits are clearly defined in advance.

(coffee and biscuits, a few cocktails, maybe a cooked meal or a cake ..........)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I'll let him know, he is 1 in 50,000 that suffers from this and he is determined to be the longest to live with this, he was given 3 years to live, 3 years ago. Stephen Hawking was a prime example of not giving up.

Sorry to late for edit; He is one in 500,000 not 50,000 

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

There is a provision on death of a spouse -- That the foreigner has 1 year to sell the property. (put it in another Thai name etc.) A will makes this more binding. It really is important to have a will.

No will, you have many problems. You may come Under section 1629 of the Civil and Commercial Code

All these laws are relatively new-- when I first came here 90s...a  Thai woman could not buy a house if she was married to a farang.

Yet your marriage extension is not extended for that duration, say if your wife was to die 11mths into your extension, and you will have to find funds till/if sold

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I'm sure you have got nothing to worry about ramros711.....

Just the way you worded the post.... "My wife and I were renting a house, then I built one got a lawyer to do a contract.....etc

Most people wouldn't have guessed your lawyer was doing a pre-nup.---anyway, good luck. Sorry for the misunderstanding.  The info is there for anyone else-- its not just about houses.....all contracts business/ cars anything--no contract is binding if married.

You are correct, she was not my wife at the time we built the house, very observant.