Why has smoke started so early...?

mikey88

Seems to me that before I used to leave CM about the end of February and come back beginning of May and I’d miss most of the bad air.

Is that a false memory...?

The smoke seems to me to have come very early this year.....if true....why might that be...?

• Haha 2

It was slinking into late December from years ago but gaining steam in January. This year has been very nice. Not too much traffic with so many tourist vans and busses, no Chinese which is wonderful, and relatively ok air. No complaints here. We have also had some breezes that may also help air quality. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 2

Burning always seriously starts last week or two of February when the weather starts to change. The number of daily fires in the province has gone from 10-20 to 150+ in the last week and the smog is up as a consequence but it's just the start. Wait until we get closer to 1,000 fires a day in March. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The PM 10 concentration in Chiang Mai, Thailand, has followed a similar pattern every year since 2010. The annual monthly PM 10 concentration is at a high level at the beginning of December and reaches a peak in March, subsequently decreasing from May until November.
  • Haha 1

Rather mild this year. That very heavy rainstorm a week back and the shower later cleared a lot of the air.

I drove down for my seaside get away and much less burning didn't notice any untill after Lampang.

Nothing will happen until the Gov gets rid of the E fuels which have resulted in massive amounts of waste being burned off compared with the old style rice that's gone on since before Buddha.

john

A story, told me by the wife, so it is gospel...

A 'cousin', of which she has an enormous number, was burning the stubble in his rice field prior to planting corn. He thought it had gone out when he left. Later, it was revealed that the rubber tree plantation next to the to the field had been burned by the fire in the cousin's field. The owners wanted a million and took him to the cops. He can't pay a million, so he said he'd go to jail. His wife and family, not me or the wife, I hasten to add, contributed a sum acceptable to the rubber tree plantation owners, of, I am told 300,000 baht. No jail time, but now he owes a number of peop!e a large sum of money.

as to:

1 - the veracity of the story. I have no doubt the wife believes it.

2 - the rubber tree plantation owners being opportunistic....I can't say, but the rice stubble burning I have seen in this neck of the woods is just the detritus catching. The stubble remains mostly untouched. Charred lines between the still standing stubble and shed loads of smoke.

3 - has the wife asked me to help out? No, not yet. But I wait in anticipation. If 'we' do, I'll want the land paper in the wife's name, quick smart. I think I'm dreaming....

It can be worse ... and I think it WILL be worse, if no new rain is coming soon ... but until now, I have seen worse ! I am so surprised to see the bad number in Hua Hin / Cha Am where I was thinking renting a condo for 2 months ... number have been same or worse than CNX ...

• Sad 1

As usual the CNX AQI brigade is up in arms re: the air quality

Check out the link - spot in Russia is 430

So give us a break and stop the "Oh Woe is Me" posts

To paraphrase Waylon - "If You Don't Love It - Leave It"

Altho' not many places to go -

91% Of the world’s population live in places where air quality exceeds WHO guideline limits.

https://www.iqair.com/us/world-air-quality

Edited by canthai55

On 2/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, mikey88 said:

Is that a false memory...?

Your memory is wrong. I can only talk about Chiang Rai, I don't spend much time in CM, but the air has been unbreathable for 6 months of the year for as long as I can remember (been here 20 years). It easy to verify this by checking records, the air is only 'truly' clean May to October.

• Like 1