Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Recommended Posts

Anyone seen frozen Short Pastry (Pies etc)in Chiang Mai ?    Plenty of Puff Pastry in Makro and Yok but can't find any Short Pastry anywhere.    Made it myself a few times but a chore for sure !

Edited by trainman34014
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Anyone seen frozen Short Pastry (Pies etc)in Chiang Mai ?    Plenty of Puff Pastry in Makro and Yok but can't find any Short Pastry anywhere.    Made it myself a few times but a chore for sure !

 

Bake and Bite in Wat Ket has great small frozen meat pies (turkey, chicken, maybe beef). K. Gay is an expert baker and I believe she makes fruit pies also, but I am not sure. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently started making apple pies with this receipe for pastry. Very easy and delicious. Works best if you rest in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours and allow to return to near room temperature before rolling. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, trainman34014 said:

Made it myself a few times but a chore for sure !

Really? I make my own and find it quite simple to make. I generally make the crusts for my pumpkin pies which my daughter loves. 

 

I just wish there were places to find some Graham Crackers that weren't so damn expensive because I make my own crusts as well for my cheesecakes.

 

.....now I'm getting a craving for my sweet tooth...  🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pj123 said:

I have recently started making apple pies with this receipe for pastry. Very easy and delicious. Works best if you rest in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours and allow to return to near room temperature before rolling. 

 

Here's the recipe I've been using and having success with:

 

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/baking-basics-homemade-buttery-flaky-pie-crust/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Really? I make my own and find it quite simple to make. I generally make the crusts for my pumpkin pies which my daughter loves. 

 

I just wish there were places to find some Graham Crackers that weren't so damn expensive because I make my own crusts as well for my cheesecakes.

 

.....now I'm getting a craving for my sweet tooth...  🙂

Thanks for that; i will try again and be more patient !    In England we use crumbled up Mc Vities Digestive Biscuits for our Cheesecake base.  I find these Biscuits in Big C normally stacked next to the Chocolate Digestives, usual price 69 Baht but often on promotion at 59.   Depending on what size Cheesecake you are making you will most likely need two packs; works out a bit expensive but with the rest of the ingredients it's an expensive job here anyway !

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Timofe said:

 

Bake and Bite in Wat Ket has great small frozen meat pies (turkey, chicken, maybe beef). K. Gay is an expert baker and I believe she makes fruit pies also, but I am not sure. 

Thanks for your reply; don't know where this place is, can you give me any directions please ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pj123 said:

I have recently started making apple pies with this receipe for pastry. Very easy and delicious. Works best if you rest in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours and allow to return to near room temperature before rolling. 

 

Thanks PJ; trying it soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Thanks for your reply; don't know where this place is, can you give me any directions please ?

Address: 3 7 ถนน Soi Kaeo Nawarat 3/2, Tambon Chang Moi, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand

 

18.793648, 99.007560

 

Comes up in Google maps by searching "Bake Bite Wat Ket"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Thanks for that; i will try again and be more patient !    In England we use crumbled up Mc Vities Digestive Biscuits for our Cheesecake base.  I find these Biscuits in Big C normally stacked next to the Chocolate Digestives, usual price 69 Baht but often on promotion at 59.   Depending on what size Cheesecake you are making you will most likely need two packs; works out a bit expensive but with the rest of the ingredients it's an expensive job here anyway !

This is my 'go to' cookie to make the crust when I don't feel like splurging for real Graham Crackers. As far as cheesecake being expensive, I agree. However the only ingredient that's expensive is the cream cheese and I use only Philadelphia as I think it tastes the best. I typically buy a 2kg block and make 2 cheesecakes. The second is either frozen or distributed to neighbors and friends.

 

BTW, these 'go to' cookies are found nearly everywhere and typically cost less than 40THB. but it does take about 1 1/2 pkgs for each cheesecake.

 

 

Cookies.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

This is my 'go to' cookie to make the crust when I don't feel like splurging for real Graham Crackers. As far as cheesecake being expensive, I agree. However the only ingredient that's expensive is the cream cheese and I use only Philadelphia as I think it tastes the best. I typically buy a 2kg block and make 2 cheesecakes. The second is either frozen or distributed to neighbors and friends.

I use sweetened condensed milk to make cheesecake.

Key lime cheesecake .......... 3 eggs, 12oz tin of sweetened condensed milk, juice from 1-2 limes 25ml


Pour into 2-quart pyrex microwave bowl and stir until mixed.  (DO NOT USE A SMALLER CONTAINER)  Cook in microwave on 800W for 5-7 minutes.  Stir well after each minute.  After 4 minutes, stir every 30 seconds.  Watch filling carefully, do not answer the phone, or let anything distract you.  It will become thick in a split second and you want to be there to stir and make sure the filling cooks evenly.  Keep cooking until thick as pudding but do not allow to boil.  Pour into the cooked pie crust and leave to cool.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I use sweetened condensed milk to make cheesecake.

Key lime cheesecake .......... 3 eggs, 12oz tin of sweetened condensed milk, juice from 1-2 limes 25ml


Pour into 2-quart pyrex microwave bowl and stir until mixed.  (DO NOT USE A SMALLER CONTAINER)  Cook in microwave on 800W for 5-7 minutes.  Stir well after each minute.  After 4 minutes, stir every 30 seconds.  Watch filling carefully, do not answer the phone, or let anything distract you.  It will become thick in a split second and you want to be there to stir and make sure the filling cooks evenly.  Keep cooking until thick as pudding but do not allow to boil.  Pour into the cooked pie crust and leave to cool.

I can't envision a cheesecake made without any cream cheese.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...