Are Brass Knuckles legal to own in Thailand?

Wuvu2

1 hour ago, Wuvu2 said:

Does anyone know if Brass Knuckles are legal to own in Thailand? I saw some for sale in an outdoor market and was a bit surprised. 

Own probably yes, carry or wear probably no, use probably a definite no/no, this is Thailand so laws are subject to interpretation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst I cannot quote a law, I believe they are classed as an offensive weapon and like many things inThailand it would depend entirely on the Officer stood in front of you at the time as to what may follow. Personally, if you want them, dont carry it or let it be seen being worn in a public place would be my advice.

What would be the reason for buying a pair of brass knuckles and then not carry them? It´s not like they are antiques. ????

And no, it is not legal to walk around with anything that can be taken for a weapon of any kind in Thailand without having a licence to carry such. As you can not get a license for brass knuckles it will be deemed illigal according to the law.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:41 AM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

What would be the reason for buying a pair of brass knuckles and then not carry them? It´s not like they are antiques. ????

And no, it is not legal to walk around with anything that can be taken for a weapon of any kind in Thailand without having a licence to carry such. As you can not get a license for brass knuckles it will be deemed illigal according to the law.

What a strange statement to make. If you so desire, anything can be said to be a weapon that is being carried. A pen or a pencil can be deemed a weapon, as Can a metal ruler. Or similar objects. In fact, a simple coin could be said to be able to be used as a weapon if you have the intention to use it that way. The simple answer to the one asked in the OP is that it depends on the person stopping the carrier if such “weapons” and their interpretation of what it’s being used for. Suffice to say that it’s a lot easier to strengthen the knuckles rather than to wear brass knuckles so that your hands won’t be so damaged if trouble ever comes your way and you need to defend yourself. Besides that, hitting anything whilst wearing the brass knuckles often breaks the fingers as they cut in to the skin and, depending on how hard you punch, can generate the wrong king of force back in to the hands.

As one might suspect, as I read the Arms Control Act (BE 2530) Chapter 1, Section 7, it reads in part:

”Section 7. The Minister with approval of the Council of Ministers shall have the power to publish in the Government Gazette the Notification prescribing weapons, weapons accessories, chemical substances, biological substances, radioactive substances or devices or instruments which may be used in combat or warfare to be arms.”

Therefore it reads to me, that the Minister has very, very wide discretion to dictate exactly what is and is not a weapon .. and need not explicitly name each and every item by a specific name, but may use the items inherent characteristics.

As such, Id take position that “brass knuckles” would be classed as a “arms” thus be subject to the Act.

Edited by new2here

11 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

That's why I carry a torch around with me. Always have done. It as come in very handy when the lights go out here  and once in the shopping mall here.  It can be used to temporay blind someone because it as a high intensity strobe and steady light of 1800 lumen. In the dark an 80 lumen is sufficient to temporary blind someone and over 200 lumen during the day. So would give you a little time to get away and also attract attention from passers by. You wont cause permanent inury to anyone. If stopped by Police its just a torch.

I'm sure you can quite legally carry a long, heavy rubber torch under your car seat as well.

????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

To be honest if your knuckles are that hard and stiff i would see a doctor ,that or soak them in oil it must be so uncomfortable to have brass knuckles.

He means what the British call knuckle dusters. 

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2021 at 5:41 AM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

You keep them at home till you need them, presumably.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Falcon said:

What a strange statement to make. If you so desire, anything can be said to be a weapon that is being carried. A pen or a pencil can be deemed a weapon, as Can a metal ruler. Or similar objects. In fact, a simple coin could be said to be able to be used as a weapon if you have the intention to use it that way. The simple answer to the one asked in the OP is that it depends on the person stopping the carrier if such “weapons” and their interpretation of what it’s being used for. Suffice to say that it’s a lot easier to strengthen the knuckles rather than to wear brass knuckles so that your hands won’t be so damaged if trouble ever comes your way and you need to defend yourself. Besides that, hitting anything whilst wearing the brass knuckles often breaks the fingers as they cut in to the skin and, depending on how hard you punch, can generate the wrong king of force back in to the hands.

Nah. Depends the way you hold them ...the back cushioned against heel of your hand so they protrude and are not flush with the knuckles. With 'knucks' you need a lot less force....or so I have read.

• Love It 1

A somewhat pointless question, people who carry such  "equipment" are hardly going to worry about the legality of it, or indeed the legality of the results that will inevitably ensue should it be used for the intended purpose,  The keyboard warriors of Thai Visa would be better advised to continue using the  CAPITAL LETTERS KEY