Are Brass Knuckles legal to own in Thailand?

Does anyone know if Brass Knuckles are legal to own in Thailand? I saw some for sale in an outdoor market and was a bit surprised. 

Edited by Wuvu2
  • Haha 2
  • Wuvu2 changed the title to Are Brass Knuckles legal to own in Thailand?
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not the same, a pen, pencil, ruler, coin as you quote have legitimate uses other than as weapons, a set of brass knuckles does not - a weapon, nothing else, no grey area!

Just use two rolls of 10 Bt coins.

You can buy lots of stuff in Thailand that will get you arrested 50 meters down the road if you're caught carrying them.   Brass knuckles are one of them.  Pepper spray is another.  Same wit

Posted Images

Without having specifically read  of any prohibition I believe almost all self defense weapons used by falangs in Thailand are illegal.

I'd be curious to hear of any that are legal.

1 hour ago, Wuvu2 said:

Does anyone know if Brass Knuckles are legal to own in Thailand? I saw some for sale in an outdoor market and was a bit surprised. 

Own probably yes, carry or wear probably no, use probably a definite no/no, this is Thailand so laws are subject to interpretation.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst I cannot quote a law, I believe they are classed as an offensive weapon and like many things inThailand it would depend entirely on the Officer stood in front of you at the time as to what may follow. Personally, if you want them, dont carry it or let it be seen being worn in a public place would be my advice.

What would be the reason for buying a pair of brass knuckles and then not carry them? It´s not like they are antiques. 🙂

And no, it is not legal to walk around with anything that can be taken for a weapon of any kind in Thailand without having a licence to carry such. As you can not get a license for brass knuckles it will be deemed illigal according to the law.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:41 AM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

What would be the reason for buying a pair of brass knuckles and then not carry them? It´s not like they are antiques. 🙂

And no, it is not legal to walk around with anything that can be taken for a weapon of any kind in Thailand without having a licence to carry such. As you can not get a license for brass knuckles it will be deemed illigal according to the law.

What a strange statement to make. If you so desire, anything can be said to be a weapon that is being carried. A pen or a pencil can be deemed a weapon, as Can a metal ruler. Or similar objects. In fact, a simple coin could be said to be able to be used as a weapon if you have the intention to use it that way. The simple answer to the one asked in the OP is that it depends on the person stopping the carrier if such “weapons” and their interpretation of what it’s being used for. Suffice to say that it’s a lot easier to strengthen the knuckles rather than to wear brass knuckles so that your hands won’t be so damaged if trouble ever comes your way and you need to defend yourself. Besides that, hitting anything whilst wearing the brass knuckles often breaks the fingers as they cut in to the skin and, depending on how hard you punch, can generate the wrong king of force back in to the hands.