Are Brass Knuckles legal to own in Thailand?

Wuvu2

20 hours ago, rwill said:

vibrators and e-cigarettes are illegal too but I have seen them for sale on sidewalks in Bangkok.

I suppose you could carry a vibrator, which could certainly do a bit of damage if you jabbed someone in the eye with it - especially if it's really hard!!  But you also run the risk of being charged in possession of an offensive vibrator.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:40 AM, Falcon said:

What a strange statement to make. If you so desire, anything can be said to be a weapon that is being carried. A pen or a pencil can be deemed a weapon, as Can a metal ruler. Or similar objects. In fact, a simple coin could be said to be able to be used as a weapon if you have the intention to use it that way. The simple answer to the one asked in the OP is that it depends on the person stopping the carrier if such “weapons” and their interpretation of what it’s being used for. Suffice to say that it’s a lot easier to strengthen the knuckles rather than to wear brass knuckles so that your hands won’t be so damaged if trouble ever comes your way and you need to defend yourself. Besides that, hitting anything whilst wearing the brass knuckles often breaks the fingers as they cut in to the skin and, depending on how hard you punch, can generate the wrong king of force back in to the hands.

No you are totally wrong. In the eyes of the law a metal ruler, pen or coin is not seen as a weapon before they have been used as that in a single specific case. After that they are not seen as a weapon either. Knifes, guns, brass knuckles is weapons, or even a baseball bat hidden under the driver seat can be seen as one. So, feel free to continue putting your pencils in the glove compartment with no risk whatsoever for going to jail. ????

an extendable  steel baton  is easier to use, I got one for street dogs that like to attack you when you are out walking but it does have other uses, comes with a small pouch that attaches to your belt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do you know the criteria for getting a gun permit?

PM me.

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

looks on this topic like some farangs think they live in the wild west, or wish to turn this place into another USA.  These people need to seriously chill out. 

There is certainly a 'Wild West' mentality, still, in some elements of Thai (not farang) society.

I'm perfectly chilled, thanks. I think everyone should have hobbies that get them out of the house / from behind a keyboard. One of mine is shooting: I enjoyed rough / clay pigeon shooting when I lived in UK, now I enjoy sport shooting in Thailand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

looks on this topic like some farangs think they live in the wild west, or wish to turn this place into another USA.  These people need to seriously chill out. 

After living here for 29 years, I've seen, and been in a lot of dangerous situations. I used to have to commute between Mahasarakham and Khon Kaen at night and broke down in the middle of nowhere a couple of times. I've had a guy attack me with a machete, one road rage driver with a crowbar. A gun could save your life.

Obviously, if you live in a tourist area, you'll not have experienced dangerous situation but in rural Thailand, it is wise to carry a gun in your glove compartment. 

I am a dual citizen(Thai British) so should be able to get a permit, I think. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

After living here for 29 years, I've seen, and been in a lot of dangerous situations. I used to have to commute between Mahasarakham and Khon Kaen at night and broke down in the middle of nowhere a couple of times. I've had a guy attack me with a machete, one road rage driver with a crowbar. A gun could save your life.

Obviously, if you live in a tourist area, you'll not have experienced dangerous situation but in rural Thailand, it is wise to carry a gun in your glove compartment. 

I am a dual citizen(Thai British) so should be able to get a permit, I think. 

You have your view, but carrying a gun is asking for trouble, not a defence against it, a lesson a lot of people around the country and in the US don't seem to understand. The most I carry in my car is a large stick, which I use on soi dogs if necessary, not people.  In all my 30 odd years of being in, around, visiting and living Thailand, I have never had to resort to violence, or been subject to it.  'Look and yee shall find' seems to be the case for some hot heads here.

Edited by Pilotman

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

PM me.

There is certainly a 'Wild West' mentality, still, in some elements of Thai (not farang) society.

I'm perfectly chilled, thanks. I think everyone should have hobbies that get them out of the house / from behind a keyboard. One of mine is shooting: I enjoyed rough / clay pigeon shooting when I lived in UK, now I enjoy sport shooting in Thailand.

so did I, which as you will appreciate, is wholly different to carrying firearms for 'defence'. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

You have your view, but carrying a gun is asking for trouble, not a defence against it, a lesson a lot of people around the country and in the US don't seem to understand. The most I carry in my car is a large stick, which I use on soi dogs if necessary, not people.  In all my 30 odd years of being in, around, visiting and living Thailand, I have never had to resort to violence, or been subject to it.  'Look and yee shall find' seems to be the case for some hot heads here.

Where do you live?

In rural Isarn it is very different from Hua Hin or Phuket.

I am not looking for violence at all. 

I am not from US. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

Where do you live?

In rural Isarn it is very different from Hua Hin or Phuket.

I am not looking for violence at all. 

I am not from US. 

I live in rural Chon Buri province, but we have a house and land in Issan also.  My comments stand.  I find the people around my Issan house the friendliest  people around and I have never had any issues, there or here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I live in rural Chon Buri province, but we have a house and land in Issan also.  My comments stand.  I find the people around my Issan house the friendliest  people around and I have never had any issues, there or here.  

You are very lucky then, around me there are drug dealers/addicts and road rage is common in the centre of town.

The road rage thing has only been happening in the last few years. 

One of the worst situations is breaking down alone in the middle of nowhere at 11pm. Many would think about stopping and robbing a farang. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

You are very lucky then, around me there are drug dealers/addicts and road rage is common in the centre of town.

The road rage thing has only been happening in the last few years. 

One of the worst situations is breaking down alone in the middle of nowhere at 11pm. Many would think about stopping and robbing a farang. 

That sounds bad.  Yes, I know those things go on.  We do not as a rule drive out at night, bar to go to a local restaurant and usually that is as a family, not alone.  Our local cops are reasonable and so long as they are not the ones doing the drug deals (not unknown) , not too bad at keeping things quiet.  The local youths can be a bit rowdy after a few drinks, but that is just youthful energy rather than a threat.  I never really feel threatened anywhere here, bar perhaps some parts of Bangkok after midnight. 

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That sounds bad.  Yes, I know those things go on.  We do not as a rule drive out at night, bar to go to a local restaurant and usually that is as a family, not alone.  Our local cops are reasonable and so long as they are not the ones doing the drug deals (not unknown) , not too bad at keeping things quiet.  The local youths can be a bit rowdy after a few drinks, but that is just youthful energy rather than a threat.  I never really feel threatened anywhere here, bar perhaps some parts of Bangkok after midnight. 

I lived in BKK for 10 years and actually never felt threatened there. Noticed a big difference moving to Khon Kaen. 

At 11 years old I was arrested for throwing a snowball from a moving vehicle into the windshield of another vehicle moving in the opposite direction. The windshield shattered and wicked chaos broke loose from there. I was charged with Assault With A Deadly Weapon. Perhaps the OP, and others here wanting protection, could carry a few snowballs in their pockets. However, beware, the worst part is having to call your dad and tell him to come pick you up from jail.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:51 PM, Asquith Production said:

That's why I carry a torch around with me. Always have done. It as come in very handy when the lights go out here  and once in the shopping mall here.  It can be used to temporay blind someone because it as a high intensity strobe and steady light of 1800 lumen. In the dark an 80 lumen is sufficient to temporary blind someone and over 200 lumen during the day. So would give you a little time to get away and also attract attention from passers by. You wont cause permanent inury to anyone. If stopped by Police its just a torch.

If you look a little harder, you can buy a torch that doubles as a stun baton.  I had one, but never really used it except as a flashlight.  It did put out an impressive sound when I pushed the 2nd button and the sparks flew.  Really impressive in the dark.  I bought mine in BKK Chinatown.  Mostly out of curiosity- I was amazed at what I could buy right out in the open.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

If you look a little harder, you can buy a torch that doubles as a stun baton.  I had one, but never really used it except as a flashlight.  It did put out an impressive sound when I pushed the 2nd button and the sparks flew.  Really impressive in the dark.  I bought mine in BKK Chinatown.  Mostly out of curiosity- I was amazed at what I could buy right out in the open.

I have the Nitecore P20i. The below txt taken from their website. Cost around 2200thb. Comes with quick release holster.

The NITECORE P20i is the ultimate high performance tactical flashlight, emitting up to 1800 lumens with a max throw of 375 yards. Designed for law enforcement and military situations, this torch comes equipped with a non linear strobe and an ultra strong strike bezel. Non-linear strobe patterns cause enhanced dizzying effects, highly effective for diffusing a tense situation.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, CharlieH said:

Whilst I cannot quote a law, I believe they are classed as an offensive weapon and like many things inThailand it would depend entirely on the Officer stood in front of you at the time as to what may follow. Personally, if you want them, dont carry it or let it be seen being worn in a public place would be my advice.

been carrying mine for over 15 years. I don't flaunt them and never had to use them though if needed wouldn't hesitate a moment. Once went to meet a friend flying into Krabi airport and had to pass through security to meet them in the terminal. Forgot I had them and of course the alarm went off. They took them and returned them when I exited though i believe if they wanted to they could of caused me trouble for sure.