Noisy water pump issue

Mormolin

Hello!

I am actually living in a villa and I am having an issue with a noisy water pump. The water pump is located outside and every 2-3 minutes it activated itself automatically, even if nobody is using water. When it's activated, the pump is making a loud high-pitch noise that last 5-6 seconds. It's very annoying if we want to relax outside, swim in the pool or even just letting the door open. I can also hear it when I want to go sleep, so it's disturbing my sleep. I don't understand why to pump is activated automatically without anyone using the water.

My girlfriend told me that it's like that everywhere in Thailand, but I have my doubts.

Did you ever been confronted to a noisy water pump problem? Is there any quick-fix to that?

Thank you!

Could have a leak, dodgy check valve, dodgy/dirty pressure switch, dodgy diaphragm so air pressure is lost etc. Leak could be anything from pipes to toilet cistern continually draining -- turn off all taps and see if the meter spins. If renting, get them to look at it. Noise could be worn bearing. For quick fix, isolate the thing at night at least. If it was anything like ours, the mains pressure was enough to run the house anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mormolin said:

You mean that I could actually completely turning it off at night?

It depends upon how the house is plumbed. You could try turning off the power to the pump and see if you still get water (flush the loo a couple of times to empty the pressure tank).

Of course the proper fix is to find the leak.

Replacing the pump with a better quality unit should reduce the noise (our Grundfos is so quiet you have to listen carefully to see if it's actually running) but of course that's not a cheap option. 

25 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

You could also have a neighbour getting “free” water...

That can’t be the problem. The cause is a continuous small leak. It could be in the pipes. It could be a toilet tank valve , it could be a tap that is dripping. It is almost certainly  less than 1 litre per hour 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That can’t be the problem. The cause is a continuous small leak. It could be in the pipes. It could be a toilet tank valve , it could be a tap that is dripping. It is almost certainly  less than 1 litre per hour 

How do you know that the neighbour doesn’t have a leak ?