Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

ThailandPlus: Tracking app now mandatory for foreign tourists


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I was ordered by my then girlfriend years ago to buy a phone, which i never wanted and rarely used, in those days it was public phones and phone cards which worked perfectly well, never had so much nightime activity....... The only reason she wanted me to have the phone.......wait for it....... was to find out where i was...... at anytime of the day or night...... I'm going back to dumb phones very shortly....... 

5555555. My ex-wife knew better than me where I had spent the day, even without me having a phone....🥵

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about tourists who do not have a mobile phone? What about tourists who do not have an Internet connection to their phone? No consideration of these people.

That's not good! Probably work as well as the online 90 day reporting site.   I assume the app will be required by returning Farang "residence" as well. How many of them don't use smart phon

ThailandPlus: Tracking app now mandatory for foreign tourists   Image: Thailand PRD   Foreign tourists who have received the certificate of entry to Thailand are now required

Posted Images

On 2/21/2021 at 1:57 PM, jmurch said:

How does the GPS work if the phone is off?

You have to remove or completely drain the battery.  The phone still has juice even if user access is "off". The GPS is still enabled.

 

Edited by Dart12
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 2:35 AM, mikosan said:

Yes it does.

It'll work from the wife, sure, but...

According to a report from 
Washington Post, NSA is capable of tracking cell phones even when they are turned off. And this isn’t anything new. As per the report, NSA has been using this technique, dubbed “The Find”, ever since September 2004. This technique was used in Iraq, and it helped identify “thousands of new targets, including members of a burgeoning al-Qaeda-sponsored insurgency in Iraq,” according to a special operation officer who was interviewed by Post.

If you have a phone and a battery with juice in it.  The gov can track you. Sorry to bust your get-away-plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, saminoz said:

lol.  Put your silver foil Q hat back on!!
too myuch YouTube, not enough critical thinking.



According to a report from Washington Post, NSA is capable of tracking cell phones even when they are turned off. And this isn’t anything new. As per the report, NSA has been using this technique, dubbed “The Find”, ever since September 2004. This technique was used in Iraq, and it helped identify “thousands of new targets, including members of a burgeoning al-Qaeda-sponsored insurgency in Iraq,” according to a special operation officer who was interviewed by Post.

if their is juice in the battery, you can be tracked by the gov.  You used to think the government would have to bug us to spy on us.  Nope, we pay $1000 and bug ourselves for them.

If you don't believe me, just read some of your TOS of the apps you have.  They actively 'listen' to you all day long.  It's why you can mention "Steak Dinner" in a conversation and get shot restaurant ads when you get on the phone next.

The future is now, no tin foil required

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, davidstipek said:

Not all Cell Phone have GPS either... They gonna replace these phones in exchange for visit? People would not Buy just to impose being Tracked!! Also those with GPS... It can be disabled at the push of a Button!!

 

true, phones without GPS can't be tracked by an app.

But disabling GPS is false hope for a government app, as well as just turning off your phone.

"Disabling location services only limits access to GPS and location data by apps. It does not prevent the operating system from using location data or communicating that data to the network." Perhaps most crucially, a device can still be tracked, and its location discovered, even if cellular is turned off the phone.

And 


According to a report from Washington Post, NSA is capable of tracking cell phones even when they are turned off. And this isn’t anything new. As per the report, NSA has been using this technique, dubbed “The Find”, ever since September 2004. This technique was used in Iraq, and it helped identify “thousands of new targets, including members of a burgeoning al-Qaeda-sponsored insurgency in Iraq,” according to a special operation officer who was interviewed by Post.

If you have a phone and a battery with juice in it.  The gov can track you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. If it's their way of working to track people to prevent the spread of Covid, then so be it.  Very basic smart phones can be bought at ridiculously cheap prices. If people can afford to travel half way across the world, then they can surely afford to buy a cheap smart phone . And for the people who say they do not wish to be contacted while they're on vacation, then there is a very simple answer to that. Just use the phone exclusively for the Covid tracking app, and don't install any other applications, or give your phone number to anyone. It really is that simple! 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 1:41 PM, Dialemco said:

Think before you make such rediculus comments. Smart phone cost is equivalent to 2 week holiday in Thailand. Then add roaming charges you will soon realise sorry have to go to another country for your holiday not many people are millionaires like you.

"Smart phone cost is equivalent to 2 week holiday" 😂😂😂

Come on man, you must be kidding, right?  😂
phones can be bought for as little as 45USD . And no need to use roaming  when you can buy a SIM card and top it up for a few hundred THB which would last a whole month. ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Always the same argument here, why should you care if you have nothing to hide? Everything you do can be used against you!

 

"You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide" oh sorry, that one was from Goebbels. But not far off from 1984, aren't we?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When someone says "I have nothing to hide" I usually ask for their Facebook password. Despite I swear that I will not post anything and will only read their messenger chats - no one ever agreed.

It seems that I meet only dodgy people 🤔

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thaiger843 said:

Always the same argument here, why should you care if you have nothing to hide? Everything you do can be used against you!

 

"You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide" oh sorry, that one was from Goebbels. But not far off from 1984, aren't we?

You're right. It's the way it works with dictatorship

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JackGats said:

If I must download it to my smartphone I would try to keep it on a short leash. Anyone knows which authorisations I can deny the app without it malfunctioning?

Install it on your previous (older) phone if you still have it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, Eindhoven said:

 

I think it does. 🙂

 Even with the phone off, you are still being tracked by the phone towers and thus your provider. Only way is to remove the battery. Mad bloody Thai's are learning to be authoritarian like emperor xi jin pig.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 12:11 AM, chaihot said:

Install it on your previous (older) phone if you still have it.  

Except it refuses to open on my old phone (S7).

Link to post
Share on other sites

returning next week I will install on second phone leave in loom but in all fairness there is worse out there for those who continued to stay in thailand that cannot be appreciated, after nearly 1 year glad to take quarrantine

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tomyami said:

returning next week I will install on second phone leave in loom but in all fairness there is worse out there for those who continued to stay in thailand that cannot be appreciated, after nearly 1 year glad to take quarrantine

Report on whether it worked on your old phone. I'm curious. I wouldn't be surprised if the inability to run the app on older smsartphones wasn't a feature of the app. They don't want us to run the app in our suitcases folks.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to this app?

I was going through the (deleting) installed apps on my phone yesterday and I noticed this, never used it.

I was expecting to have to show this to enter Big C, but it seems (down here at least) no one gives a flying one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As i see the app is still required by Thai embassys to enter Thailand. I would probably install it in my oversees phone to use while traveling but when in Thailand I rarely turn data roaming on as it is very expensive. I don't think many tourists will pay the very expensive thai data roaming fees.

So how can they collect data from ThailandPlus app when data is turned off?

I usually mostly use another phone with a Thai sim card while in Thailand as data usage is much cheaper on a Thai sim card. But this Thai phone I do not use oversees.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 9:48 PM, Bangkocker said:

 Even with the phone off, you are still being tracked by the phone towers and thus your provider. Only way is to remove the battery. Mad bloody Thai's are learning to be authoritarian like emperor xi jin pig.

Indeed,

In this technological and digital age I think true privacy is an illusion,
the price we pay for convenience.
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, martin81 said:

 

So how can they collect data from ThailandPlus app when data is turned off?

 

My understanding is that they get your location (position) through the GPS functionality which is independent of data. This is what enables you to use maps offline after downloading them.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 4:22 PM, cobra said:

Indeed,

In this technological and digital age I think true privacy is an illusion,
the price we pay for convenience.

Quite so.

If you have any sort of phone, smart or not, or use the internet, or credit cards or drive a car or walk past a camera, your privacy is sacrificed in some way, like it or not.

Do I like it? No. But for all the loss of privacy there are some advantages that I use so I have some little choice.

It is what it is.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A review on the Android app store as recent as 13 March 2021 says that the app does not work.

 
Quote

 

photo.jpg
Beau Paro
March 13, 2021
I tried to install many times but failed. It did not work!!!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 4:32 AM, apex2000 said:

What about tourists who do not have a mobile phone?

What about tourists who do not have an Internet connection to their phone?

No consideration of these people.

 

Tourist who can't afford to have a mobile phone shouldn't travel as tourists. Tourists terminally and chronically inflicted with Karenitis or Kevinitis should also be refused entry as they are those who endanger society the most. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Puccini said:

A review on the Android app store as recent as 13 March 2021 says that the app does not work.

 

Worked well for a few days. Now it keeps switching itself on and off. I gave it the necessary authorisations though (except Bluetooth).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, VBF said:

Quite so.

If you have any sort of phone, smart or not, or use the internet, or credit cards or drive a car or walk past a camera, your privacy is sacrificed in some way, like it or not.

Do I like it? No. But for all the loss of privacy there are some advantages that I use so I have some little choice.

It is what it is.

 

Now there you are - a nice obedient boy. 'It is what it is' >>> only becomes that way when we don't rebel en mass. Just look at China what happens when you as citizens allow such things. Hundreds of millions spy cameras. They know the identity of everyone they direct the camera at. You can't take a cr ap without the authorities knowing. They are busy building a cashless society so the CCP has total control. TOTAL CONTROL. Use cash ditch the card as much as possible else we will be in the same boat.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bangkocker said:

Now there you are - a nice obedient boy. 'It is what it is' >>> only becomes that way when we don't rebel en mass. Just look at China what happens when you as citizens allow such things. Hundreds of millions spy cameras. They know the identity of everyone they direct the camera at. You can't take a cr ap without the authorities knowing. They are busy building a cashless society so the CCP has total control. TOTAL CONTROL. Use cash ditch the card as much as possible else we will be in the same boat.

Too late mate - I read somewhere that UK has more cameras per area than any other Western Nation - sure you'll find it if you search.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VBF said:

Too late mate - I read somewhere that UK has more cameras per area than any other Western Nation - sure you'll find it if you search.

true.

do i need to get a phone here then ? 🇹🇭

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, recom273 said:

What happened to this app?

The same thing that happens to everything here, it’s forgotten about with a week or two.

I’ve never been to a country with such pathetic follow through on literally everything they do.


“How you do one thing is how you do everything.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...