ThailandPlus: Tracking app now mandatory for foreign tourists

rooster59

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My same friends say they pick up the pen, hover over the book, then move past.

Nobody ever checks you entered any information in the book.

(again, I would never do that)

Or just take your phone and go through the motions of waving it in front of a Mor Chana QR Code (again, I would never do that either).

3 hours ago, apex2000 said:

What about tourists who do not have a mobile phone?

What about tourists who do not have an Internet connection to their phone?

No consideration of these people.

No problem.  They’ll have a chip implanted in their arm upon arrival.  Easy-Peasy!

34 minutes ago, madmen said:

Your talking 0000.1% smart phones out there. 

They stay home.. Oh well 

Here in Thailand... wrong! over 35% of those seen using cell phones, are not smart phones. Or phones that Manufacturers have chosen to not upgrade or support, trying to force ownership or purchase of New Phone.. Remember Economy? Average only 15-25 Percent can afford, then buy only if they want! This required information will have people all Baulking at the Purchase of... I personally have a Samsung 6s... GPS can and has been turned off since I have had this equipment... I'd say 4-5 years now?

Most  most phones in use here and surrounding Countries are still Flip Phones or before SD cards were made an option to use... "Fact!" I retired as a Senior Cell Phone Tech on West Coast USA. Delt with many issues with Visitors coming in with issues because of Support.

I have seen and Know Thai's who are supplied a required Smart Phone by their Employer. But are Forbidden to install "ANYTHING" or use anything that was not Company issue. I can personally name 15-20 individuals who live as neighbors that this applies to. I have been told that periodic checks of phone are done, if something found... "They are Fired! On the Spot!!"

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 1

I just arrived without Thai plus ap.  At LAX on Tues they asked for it as one of the "seven documents" I needed to board the plane.  I said I knew nothing about it and they found someone who said I could get it after arrival.  On arrival Thursday I was only asked (a number of times, actually) for my address after quarantine.  No one asked for the ap.  I didn't have the sim card anyway.  They were not available at the airport so I only got it Friday from hotel minder.  Will upload ap if and when someone says I have to (and shows me how).

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Tm30 submitting remains still very important for security  I guess?

foreigners with proof of vaccine still need it?

Why Locals don't need this app?

I included proof of vaccine among the documents I showed immigration at the airport and no one at any of the stages of checking seemed to notice or care.

7 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

So who exactly is supplying the smartphone that the app will need to work?? Not everyone has a personal smartphone!!

So, now there is a new requirement to entry:  You'll need to purchase a "Smart Phone" capable of running the ThaiPlus Foreigner Tracking Program.
All in all it's just another brick in the Wall. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fdsa said:

school does not teach you that GPS runs on phone's modem and that modems are always powered on (even when you click "flight mode" in phone menu) and run a completely different operating system than the phone, and modems can download and run applications without notifying you, and you have absolutely no control over that behavior.

If you take the battery out???  Nothing will work!!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

If you take the battery out???  Nothing will work!!!

Also what's not being disclosed if Phone's internal Radio is turned off... GPS will not work... Fact Jack!!

Daughter had accident... she remained in Car disabled for 2 days before Hiker Found her... Her GPS did not work! This is an I-Phone, Store who sold her phone never turned on... (This was a phone supplied by her Employer)

Edited by davidstipek

42 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please then , explain how something inside a switched off phone/no battery, can still work, thanks.

"switched off" mode = phone is not actually switched off (CPU and modem are still powered) but in the power saving mode. Guess how does alarm wakes up the phone if it is turned off?

"no battery" mode = phone (as CPU + modem) is actually switched off, and only the internal clock chip works, being powered by the single capacitor. It does not last very long so if you keep your phone without battery for several hours you will have to adjust time/date after turning the phone on.

• Haha 1

Welcome to the new Thailand!

What's next? Pick up your ankle bracelets at Immigration! Then go to the nearest hospital to have your  subcutaneous microchip fitted  (at your expense, of course!) Get your numbered tattoo at any of the tattoo parlours, at your cost, obviously! Identifying armbands and patches can be bought cheaply at any pavement stall on Sukhumvit.

Finally, get TAT to make a video explaining why it is all necessary!

• Haha 1

That article certainly bought out the whingers 

The cost of a smart phone today is less than 1,000 Bht.It could one day become a requirement so just bite the bullet & move into the 21st century

Just download the App & use it wherever you go.

What is so hard about that unless you are just a born moaner

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

Ridiculous and unenforceable.

Will it be mandatory to own a smart phone?  If it is, are all types covered (Android, iPhone, Windows mobile etc.?) is there an app version for each?

Will it be mandatory to always have a data balance or is the "government" giving out free data plans?

Will it be an offence not to carry the phone, or for it to run out of battery power or any of a host of other issues that affect phones?

Stupid is, as stupid does I guess.

7 minutes ago, natway09 said:

That article certainly bought out the whingers 

The cost of a smart phone today is less than 1,000 Bht.It could one day become a requirement so just bite the bullet & move into the 21st century

Just download the App & use it wherever you go.

What is so hard about that unless you are just a born moaner

Face Mongering the majority of Thai here... Wow! (Massive Loss of Face! )When income is at a level to barely feed family... A Smart Phone is not on or ever will be on the Eat List!

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Guys, it's for the benefit of the traveller. The application will "keep you updated on your current situation". God forbid the colour turns into yellow or red, you might not be able to enter any shop and people in hazmat suits will come running to find Mr John, the tourist, for his protection and the protection of others.

20210221_102423.jpg

Edited by lkv

Well my Thai phone is so old it still runs Android 4 and won't install many modern apps from the Play Store

But that's all i need in Thailand...so that's all i shall carry - simple. 

By the time I even consider returning (i.e. after quarantine is no longer needed) this silly idea will have died a death.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Ridiculous and unenforceable.

Will it be mandatory to own a smart phone?  If it is, are all types covered (Android, iPhone, Windows mobile etc.?) is there an app version for each?

Will it be mandatory to always have a data balance or is the "government" giving out free data plans?

Will it be an offence not to carry the phone, or for it to run out of battery power or any of a host of other issues that affect phones?

Stupid is, as stupid does I guess.

To answer those questions: 

In ‘other’ countries - yes !! 

Immediately off the plane to immigration: 1st Check point - no one can enter unless they run the APP (in this case Etiraz in Qatar).

At that same check point is a small counter selling local Sim Cards (choice of 2 service providers) 

At that same check point that same counter sells smart phones - a couple of models - about US$100 (Samsung A01)

People cannot get into Shopping malls, hotels, places of business etc unless they show the QR code of their Etiraz App. 

Green QR code if you have arrived, quarantined and not tested positive (and have not been contact traced to anyone with Covid-19). 

IMO: Not having a smart phone is not a sufficient excuse for tourists etc not to run the App. IF a tourist, or any other foreigner wants to be in Thailand, they can afford US$100 for a cheap smart phone to run the app.

The reality - no one will check.

In a country where there is no double, no room for non-compliance people follow the regulations without issue. 

In a country where no one will check, where this is just the ’next idea’ until the ’next idea’ comes along people will object.

Personally: I’ve already run the Mor Chana App in Thailand, so running another one is no issue whatsoever.

Run it on a second cheap phone if you worry about the App getting access to your private data. 

12 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

Face Mongering the majority of Thai here... Wow! (Massive Loss of Face! )When income is at a level to barely feed family... A Smart Phone is not on or ever will be on the Eat List!

There are very very few people in Thailand so poor they don’t own a smart phone. 

Give for a few street beggars etc the vast majority of Thai’s own a smart phone - I challenge anyone to ask 10 random people waking down the street and not find 10 people with a smart phone in their pocket or handbag. 

• Sad 2