ThailandPlus: Tracking app now mandatory for foreign tourists

rooster59

23 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

Basically what they are saying is, they want to track you like a criminal as criminals have to wear tracking bracelets. When you have done no wrong and you are not sick. Thailand upholding peoples rights, no matter who you are, where you are from! 

No thats not what they are saying. 

If someone were to make up what ‘they’ are saying..... then.. ‘Basically’, what they are saying is, they want to prevent the further spread of Covid-19 and request the cooperation of tourists visiting from other countries which may have had greater exposure to Covid-19 that those who have remained within Thailand. 

There are so many people making pathetic crying noises about their rights - this is a track and trace app at a time of Global pandemic... some proper tin-foil-hatters in this thread... 

Edited by richard_smith237

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

Sure but the data alone is useless without being analysed. At some stage, manual intervention is needed, on a scale that's just not practical. 

On a scale the few required "INNER JOIN" SQL statements would just take a bit more time to complete than on a single subject.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

hailandPlus: Tracking app now mandatory for foreign tourists

Not a problem Big Brother ,We/tourists will Delete the app the Next day. ????

They will bring this in for every farang ,to track the Overstayers and Crims .

Maybe If this for All of us then the 90 Day reporting is Not Needed .

Shouldn't be needed anyway they can track us now on our Phones.

all and all utterly cr@p.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

Sure but the data alone is useless without being analysed. At some stage, manual intervention is needed, on a scale that's just not practical. 

It would have to be analysed the exact same way the gps data would , and that would also be automated. what year are you living in?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, fdsa said:

On a scale the few required "INNER JOIN" SQL statements would just take a bit more time to complete than on a single subject.

Yes (I have tested SQL databases) but at SOME STAGE, an IT-savvy  human being will need to interpret the data. I agree that it's technically possible but I still doubt its practicality. 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

They may not be telling us this ""Basically what they are saying is, they want to track you like a criminal as criminals have to wear tracking bracelets. When you have done no wrong and you are not sick. Thailand upholding peoples rights, no matter who you are, where you are from! ""

But end result, they will! Prove to me when this is all over they will remove this Program... Joke is this is Thailand, they have wan'ted this for years... Yes Right now it may be a good idea... But when it's over, unless you want to loose alot of cash... Don't bet on it disapearing!

Explain how you could loose a lot of cash ?

Anyone can delete the app at any time. Additionally, anyone can ‘re-set’ their phones etc.. 

Thailand have wanted what for years??? Are you saying Thailand have wanted to track every tourist for years? - a bit paranoid there - Thailand doesn’t want over-stayers working illegally here, thats not quite the same.

• Confused 3

Just now, youngster30uk said:

It will produce data, than that will be the same as GPS data, there is no difference

There is. GPS data is used by devices and "Back-office" systems because it doesn't need to relate to individual people just devices. This would have to.

3 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Look at the mess the government got itself into with their latest Covid handout by assuming everyone could register by smart phone. 

I still have my old Samsung non-smart phone. I'm happy to use the internet at home on my computer, but don't need a smart phone on my travels. I'd prefer to use my eyes and ears and take my time to soak in my experiences first hand. I'm retired and don't need email and messaging on the go. I don't feel the need to be in constant touch, and reachable, all of the time. I guess I am happy enough with my own company. Maybe it is just a life-style thing.

And... there is no need to change any of that, except for the phone which runs one app (if thats all you want). 

You don’t need to run anything else on it, thats entirely your choice. 

But, if the government decides that any Tourist arrival needs a smart phone and that App to enter, its a simple process to comply or not be here. 

(I don’t think it will come to that, but the arguments against this proposal which suggest people don’t have a smart phone or a local connection etc are flawed on a very basic level) 

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, apex2000 said:

What about tourists who do not have a mobile phone?

What about tourists who do not have an Internet connection to their phone?

No consideration of these people.

this might be a revolunionary concept for you but how about consideration of Thailand and Thai people, as a visitor.

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, VBF said:

There is. GPS data is used by devices and "Back-office" systems because it doesn't need to relate to individual people just devices. This would have to.

You really dont understand,  The gpd on your phone produces data on location which is then stored

Triangulation would also produce the exact same location data which would then be stored,

there is NO difference to the data, just the way it is produced

6 hours ago, SGD said:

Mandatory for people who don't have smart phones ?

Some sort of implant perhaps ?

Could land up as a walking computer, chip in left shoulder for access to America, right shoulder for UK, left hand for EC, right hand for Australian, etc. etc. Thailand it is in the forehead and flashes "Visiting ATM".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, youngster30uk said:

You really dont understand,  The gpd on your phone produces data on location which is then stored

Triangulation would also produce the exact same location data which would then be stored,

there is NO difference to the data, just the way it is produced

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is that this particular data, in this application is being mooted to track individual people, via their devices.

That requires analysis of said data in just the same way as the police use it to track lawbreakers. THAT is where the human element comes in.

It's not like, say, sending a speeding ticket to the registered owner of a vehicle - that is a relational issue requiring no manual intervention.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The app, which works similar to GPS, will enable officials to know the whereabouts

that requires the location on the mobile phone to be turned on/accessible at all times.... I doubt it will be the case for many of them

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No thats not what they are saying. 

If someone were to make up what ‘they’ are saying..... then.. ‘Basically’, what they are saying is, they want to prevent the further spread of Covid-19 and request the cooperation of tourists visiting from other countries which may have had greater exposure to Covid-19 that those who have remained within Thailand. 

There are so many people making pathetic crying noises about their rights - this is a track and trace app at a time of Global pandemic... some proper tin-foil-hatters in this thread... 

As a tourist you have to be tracked after 14 nights of quarantine because you maybe a foreign virus risk is this what you are saying?

Hardly tin foil hat seeing as all of this was mentioned in various circles last spring, this tracking nonsense comes from the CCP. Thailand first said about tracking apps for tourists in February 2020 I remember discussing it with a friend in BKK.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VBF said:

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is that this particular data, in this application is being mooted to track individual people, via their devices.

That requires analysis of said data in just the same way as the police use it to track lawbreakers. THAT is where the human element comes in.

It's not like, say, sending a speeding ticket to the registered owner of a vehicle - that is a relational issue requiring no manual intervention.

Data is data, it is just a bunch of numbers, the output data from the GPS would be exactly the same as the output data from triangulation. Again, there is no difference. a computer could easily plot and record all of the data exactly the same as a gps system can. 

The problem that I've got with this is that it's being introduced (presumably will be backed by a law) for a specific purpose tracking during Covid-19, great idea, but how many laws of this nature are ever repealed and are then misused afterwards.

I've no real concerns with somebody knowing I have visited a bar for a beer, but the availability of said information could be used against you in any number of different ways.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, youngster30uk said:

Data is data, it is just a bunch of numbers, the output data from the GPS would be exactly the same as the output data from triangulation. Again, there is no difference. a computer could easily plot and record all of the data exactly the same as a gps system can. 

That's what I said!!!!! At the end of the day it's all ones and zeroes.  Reread my last post beginning "I'm not disputing that" - it's what the data is used for and how it's used and interpreted that makes the difference.

It's like, having a toolkit - useless if you don't know what a screwdriver is for!

6 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Interesting the way that most Thai's, even those with smartphones, tend to opt to scribble their name on a book instead of scanning in with apps everywhere...

And they ignore the infographic on how to use the DIY temperature check.....diagram tells them to use their forehead, with a big green tick, and a big red X telling them not to use their hand. So what do most do ? Stick their hand up against the thermometer !

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

And they ignore the infographic on how to use the DIY temperature check.....diagram tells them to use their forehead, with a big green tick, and a big red X telling them not to use their hand. So what do most do ? Stick their hand up against the thermometer !

forehead with a green tick means use your brain

hand with a red X is like election voting X means yes so use your hand.

15 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

Except triangulation has an accuracy of 500m-1km, even if three towers are pinged.  GPS accuracy is a few meters.

5 minutes ago, KhunG said:

Except triangulation has an accuracy of 500m-1km, even if three towers are pinged.  GPS accuracy is a few meters.

Yes, GPS is a far more efficient and altogether "slicker" system.

But that's not the difference between @youngster30uk and me.

That is that either way, in this instance, the resultant data needs to be analysed and is thus a human task that isn't ideal for automation - I repeat in this instance

Edited by VBF
Spelling

24 minutes ago, VBF said:

That's what I said!!!!! At the end of the day it's all ones and zeroes.  Reread my last post beginning "I'm not disputing that" - it's what the data is used for and how it's used and interpreted that makes the difference.

It's like, having a toolkit - useless if you don't know what a screwdriver is for!

But you keep saying that there is too much manual work involved that it would be too much, but they can and are doing it with GPS, and triangulation would be exactly the same. 

11 minutes ago, KhunG said:

Wrong! I am in Chiang Mai... GPS was and is  (right now) showing me either in Chiang Rai or Lampang.. Accuracy depends on Tower being used. Or how efficient Companies want their equipment to be... Here Cheaper is considered better (more money in some ones pocket!)

12 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

But you keep saying that there is too much manual work involved that it would be too much, but they can and are doing it with GPS, and triangulation would be exactly the same. 

But the data you acquire STILL needs to be used....THAT'S the manual bit.