ThailandPlus: Tracking app now mandatory for foreign tourists

rooster59

11 hours ago, davidstipek said:

Face Mongering the majority of Thai here... Wow! (Massive Loss of Face! )When income is at a level to barely feed family... A Smart Phone is not on or ever will be on the Eat List!

If you can barely feed your family, I'm thinking flight tickets to Thailand would be out of the question.

14 hours ago, fdsa said:

school does not teach you that GPS runs on phone's modem and that modems are always powered on (even when you click "flight mode" in phone menu) and run a completely different operating system than the phone, and modems can download and run applications without notifying you, and you have absolutely no control over that behavior.

But not when your bloody phone is turned off.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tifino said:

so ol' Joe Blo thinks ahead, and Installs the App prior to leaving ones home country... 

Gets to his airport with only minutes to spare, and heads into the airport security gates to board.

Now some airports around the world force you turn on ALL your electronic devices prior to boarding; to confirm the device is truely what it is, and not a bomb in a plastic shell.

- so poor ol' Joe Blo is really down on his luck, as the silly phone won't fire up because he had just now flattened his battery trying to get the App Installed and working - and no time left to Charge it up enough to fire it up... 

Security confiscates the mobile aka suspected bomb device; and he is boogered now, for when he lands in Los... he has no phone to show... 

I've been to airports around the world - never needed to turn on phones or laptop. Can you tell me the airports that require this?

12 hours ago, natway09 said:

That article certainly bought out the whingers 

The cost of a smart phone today is less than 1,000 Bht. //

Uh? Could you tell us which smart phone you can get at that very low price ?

I would think on 3000 B as a very low minimum price...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

You really dont understand,  The gpd on your phone produces data on location which is then stored

Triangulation would also produce the exact same location data which would then be stored,

there is NO difference to the data, just the way it is produced

I don't understand - what's the "gpd" on my phone exactly?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are very very few people in Thailand so poor they don’t own a smart phone. 

Give for a few street beggars etc the vast majority of Thai’s own a smart phone - I challenge anyone to ask 10 random people waking down the street and not find 10 people with a smart phone in their pocket or handbag. 

I don,t have a Dumb phone nor ever wish to have one.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

And there's me thinking they were trying to find ways to get tourists back - great idea, it will go down really well.......not.

But I must be missing something, somebody please explain please - you've paid for your ASQ, paid for Covid 19 insurance, been totally ripped off on the flight price (if you flew with Thai Airways) and finally, you've spent 15 days in quarantine and provided 3 negative PCR tests since you left home.  So you don't have Covid 19, you haven't imported it into Thailand..................why do you need to be tracked?

I hunch is yet another racket for money just like the over priced expensive hotels for quarantine. Just another scam to add to the <deleted> pile. It will get to a point no one will wish to return or return home.

21 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The best way to stay COVID free here in Thailand as a tourist is stay away.. all the requirements made to visit a country for holiday will surely be an invitation to come..

Here is something else people might be thinking. Why would anyone want to visit a country where the local population (and migrant workers) aren't vaccinated? Even if you were wearing a condom, would you knowingly have sex with someone that has AIDS?

• Like 1

I have a phone that I only use for work, its locked to the network and won't work on a Thai SIM but it does work on Wifi in Thailand - I have no plans to get it unlocked, I don't need to.  I'll download their application to that phone, leave it in my house when I arrive and just take my personal phone with me when I go out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

True. You have to remove the battery otherwise the phone will continue to ping cell phone towers.

I would like to see a link verifying this statement! Every google search I have done says something like this:-

No.

This is not Hollywood.

It can’t be located when off.

It can’t be remotely turned on.

HOWEVER. Generally, the phone will send a power-down final handshake to the network (so the network knows to send calls to voicemail immediately rather then trying to locate the phone to route the call) and gps data will be attatched to that, so in an emergency, in theory, the network carrier will know where the phone was when it was powered off.

Of course, for example, if you turn your phone off in Dallas, and drive to Denver with it off, knowing where it was really doesn’t help the situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

Here is something else people might be thinking. Why would anyone want to visit a country where the local population (and migrant workers) aren't vaccinated? Even if you were wearing a condom, would you knowingly have sex with someone that has AIDS?

yes

• Thanks 1

The online 90 day reporitng website is down and when I try to log into the app, it locks up. I'm not too worried about any tracking app. The people involved in Governmrnt related IT are clearly utter spastics. Looks like a trip to immigration is needed

22 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

will it <deleted>

it will create fear and distrust

this government really needs to brush up on european history

'this government really needs to brush up on european history". They need to get back to their barracks and parade grounds and let a proper government elected by the people and with a decent education into office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

By the time high season arrives most 1st world tourists would have been vaccinated. Those that are not can spend high season holidays at home if they wish 

However Thailand does NOT CARE about LOW western tourist numbers they are after CHINA. Why are people on TV struggling with this? 

Big bwana no longer calls the shots because the natives no longer worship. 

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As some of my pals told me, you don't need a smartphone.

Just stand in front of the QR code photo, hold your phone out to it for a moment, then walk past.

Nobody ever checks your phone is smart, turned on, or has the app, only the motions are required.

Not that I would ever do that!

I would. Anything to go against these stupid soldiers.

Also kind of begs the question....how badly do you really want to return to the land of no privacy? SURE, you can trust the General who held a coup to dispose a duly elected government and informed everyone that there would be election in 6 months and that he had no desire to hold public office ....and I have a bridge that I want to sell you in NYC.  

• Haha 2