ThailandPlus: Tracking app now mandatory for foreign tourists

rooster59

3 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

It works with the, in the air, ambient Neutrons carried by the virus. :cheesy:???????? 

Why do you think batterys can't be removed from telephones anymore ?    As long as there's a battery in the phone there's a signal........  Tin foiler at the ready !   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, BritManToo said:

My same friends say they pick up the pen, hover over the book, then move past.

Nobody ever checks you entered any information in the book.

(again, I would never do that)

I really only go to one mall, my local Foodland, a nearby Lotus, and a hospital. In all those places, I do the temperature scan but I do not do the QR code and I don't sign in either. Nobody seems to care.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Why should phone ownership be connected to travelling long distances? 

Traveled for years all over the world with nothing but a little short wave radio to keep in touch with the motherland...... Still got the radio, plan on dumping the phone shortly......   It's sad to say but the amount of friends left in Thailand that are on my contacts list i'd be better off going back to a phone card.....  

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 11:37 AM, richard_smith237 said:

There are very very few people in Thailand so poor they don’t own a smart phone. 

Give for a few street beggars etc the vast majority of Thai’s own a smart phone - I challenge anyone to ask 10 random people waking down the street and not find 10 people with a smart phone in their pocket or handbag. 

I was ordered by my then girlfriend years ago to buy a phone, which i never wanted and rarely used, in those days it was public phones and phone cards which worked perfectly well, never had so much nightime activity....... The only reason she wanted me to have the phone.......wait for it....... was to find out where i was...... at anytime of the day or night...... I'm going back to dumb phones very shortly....... 

It's so sad to see Thailand in this way, and this latest act of craziness reminds me of something you would expect from a Monty Python sketch....... They've already killed the tourist industry stone dead, and now they've stood the corpse up and shot it again, just to make sure that it's dead.........    I wish their mummys and daddys would come and take them home......  before they do something really serious.... 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, VBF said:

But the data you acquire STILL needs to be used....THAT'S the manual bit.

Really, ever heard of computers and automation? a computer program takes the data and plots it on a map,  there is no manual bit, unless someone wants to specifically look where you have been, then that is still exactly the same as the way they would do it with GPS data!

2 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

Really, ever heard of computers and automation? a computer program takes the data and plots it on a map,  there is no manual bit, unless someone wants to specifically look where you have been, then that is still exactly the same as the way they would do it with GPS data!

"..............then that is still exactly the same as the way they would do it with GPS data!"

That's what I've been bloody saying!  ???? Once the automation is done if ".......someone wants to specifically look where you have been,......." then the manual work is involved!!

And....on this scale the amount of that manual work would need more resources than would practically be made available. 

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed

On 2/21/2021 at 4:00 AM, rooster59 said:

Foreign tourists who have received the certificate of entry to Thailand are now required to download the ThailandPlus app, prior to their arrival, the Thai government has confirmed.

Why only foreign tourists ? They are not more at risk than thai residents after quarantine.

Will foreign tourists accpet to be tracked ? I don't think I will go back to Thailand with this BS, even when quarantine is dropped

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 4:37 AM, Oldie said:

I watched the video but didn't get any answers. Do tourists get a (free) SIM card? And if tourist don't have a smartphone what then? And are they required to take it with them all the time? And are they not allowed to switch it off? Questions... 

About installing this app on a second phone and leaving it at home ?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 3:12 PM, mikeymike100 said:

So assuming you have a personal smartphone and are willing to download the app to enter Thailand, what is to stop you when you have cleared immigration from uninstalling the aforementioned app?

Well, you could, but maybe if you do, it will then send an alert to the authorities that you've uninstalled it.   
Then who knows from there..... 
Could be a potential arrest, fine , or even ban from TH when you depart the country? 
I guess we'll have to see what laws they put into  place 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, madmen said:

By the time high season arrives most 1st world tourists would have been vaccinated. Those that are not can spend high season holidays at home if they wish 

However Thailand does NOT CARE about LOW western tourist numbers they are after CHINA. Why are people on TV struggling with this? 

Big bwana no longer calls the shots because the natives no longer worship. 

Yes I noticed that the natives have many of the same social constructs as a tribe of monkeys.

13 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

Are you simple or what? there is no more manual work involved that using the current system. So it doesnt need more resources than practically available because they are already doing it and already have those resources.

Arguing with intelligent people can be hard, arguing with idiots is bloody impossible!

I quite agree with your last comment. The whole point of this is there is no current system and this discussion is about setting up something new!

Anyway....done to death methinks.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:32 AM, apex2000 said:

What about tourists who do not have a mobile phone?

What about tourists who do not have an Internet connection to their phone?

No consideration of these people.

Thai immigration will buy you a phone and internet connection as if

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Ooooooh yes..... Had a very good school mate who ended up working for GCHQ....... Never owned a telephone, wouldn't touch one....... told me not to own one........ Mmm, i wonder why ?   

Government agencies and law enforcement are not going to reveal all the tools and tactics that they use and have at their disposal to the general public. It is in their best interest to actually post misinformation on the internet for people to read and believe.

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

I quite agree with your last comment. The whole point of this is there is no current system and this discussion is about setting up something new!

Anyway....done to death methinks.

there is a current system, look  at the title of the bloody thread! They dont need to trqck every one second by second. If they have a covid victim, they wll just look at an automated map for that person which will instantly show all of the places that person has been. There is a current system, thats the whole point of this article. 

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I find it hard to believe you can really be this dumb

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Pictured... average results for tracking app.

image.png.a1c5b2655f85bbaddb21eeccdacab2cc.png

All the customers and the staff of the bars where you have been will be put for two weeks into quarantine if you had Covid. You have left a trail of devastation. But this is not everything. The friends of the customers and the staff will be also put for two weeks into quarantine and their friends...

• Haha 2

So, no more complaining now. ????

You guys must try to see something positive in life. It ain´t so bad!

Just download it, install it and let them track you. It´s not like we have some shady business that we need to hide, is it?

Just tried myself, but I just been here too long. Don´t have the CoE code. Deleted! ????

Anyway, stay calm, stay safe! (Or be prosecuted to the extent of the law, and a couple of meters more is they deem necessary.)

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I was ordered by my then girlfriend years ago to buy a phone, which i never wanted and rarely used, in those days it was public phones and phone cards which worked perfectly well, never had so much nightime activity....... The only reason she wanted me to have the phone.......wait for it....... was to find out where i was...... at anytime of the day or night...... I'm going back to dumb phones very shortly....... 

5555555. My ex-wife knew better than me where I had spent the day, even without me having a phone....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1