Best places to fix hernia

edward aldous

The mild inguinal hernia I've had for some years now needs to be surgically repaired. (I had one done on the other side many years ago in another country and it's given no trouble since.) I go back and forth between Bangkok and Udon Thani, so could have it done either place. Obviously, not all doctors/surgeons in Thailand are equally skilled. Is there anyone who's had this sort of operation done (insert mesh to reinforce the compromised area is still the accepted method, I think), who can recommend a practitioner? Though, of course, I'd like to avoid spending a huge amount, the main priority for me is to feel confident that the job will be done well. Thx
????

????

????

Edited by edward aldous
correction

It depends on how much you want to pay.

I recently had a hernia at Sukhumvit Hospital in Bangkok. It cost 200,000 baht. (Same price as for Thais ).

Had surgery Saturday at 5 pm. Discharged Sunday at 11. am. No problems at all.

Just now, petedk said:

I recently had a hernia repaired at Sukhumvit Hospital in Bangkok. It cost 200,000 baht. (Same price as for Thais ).

The doctor spoke excellent English ( I can speak Thai though), as he had spent a long time working in Geneva, Switzerland.

3 minutes ago, petedk said:

I recently had a hernia at Sukhumvit Hospital in Bangkok. It cost 200,000 baht. (Same price as for Thais ).

Had the surgery in Maharaj Government Hospital in Chiang Mai which is a teaching hospital but staffed by medical professors from Chiang Mai University. It cost 18,000 baht.   The Thai government implemented a 3 tiered scale for foreigners seeking treatment in government hospitals in 2019 so you may pay up to 3 times more now, but that isn't even close to 200,000. 
Other option?  Keep you truss on until the borders open and go to India.
I really hate throwing away money for nothing. 

Costs vary greatly between open and laparoscopic procedure, the latter costs much more. The 200k price mentioned may have been  for laparoscopic procedure.

In skilled hands even the open approach incision is small, I would just go with that - they often end up having to switch to open after starting laparoscopic and if that happens you still pay the extra amount for the lap

I recommend Dr. Narongsak Chongsiri at Saint Louis Hospital in Bangkok.  Was 80k for open approach some years back, I doubt more than 100K now, and he is quite skilled.

Recovery is not long even with open approach. And scar, while bigger, is still not lat all arge.

Laparoscopic is easier (for the patient - harder to perform for the surgeon) but for hernia repair the difference is not very great.

It costs considerably more, which is a big consideration for many people. In some cases (e.g. hernia repair at a local government hospital) it may not even be available.

it is not unusual for it to prove too difficult to do laparopscopically in which case they have to switch to an open approach mid way through, when this happens the higher price for laparoscopy still applies. It is more likely to happen with a surgeon who has comparatively less experience with laparoscopic techniques and also in obese patients or people with adhesions from prior abdominal surgery.

The Udon Thani main hospital is now open for all private surgery & they have a separate clinic added to the hospital , so no waiting if your paying.---I have just had a replacement hip Opp there. The surgeon that you would pay for at the 2 private hospitals, is the same surgeon that would operate on you there-- however their equipment at the main U.T Hospital is far superior to the private ones.