We'll be lucky if our solar panels last 20 years. And then what will we do with them all?  There are a lot of environmental  problems from producing these panels  with all of the mining and energy needed. We just don't see them as much because a lot of them take place in China and other countries rather than where the panels end up being used. The problem seems to be that the materials used in solar panels cost more to take out of the dead ones then you get for them. Has anyone heard of any planning or efforts to dismantle and recycle solar panels that no longer work in Asia? Maybe this is a pipe dream in a country where so many people throw all of their garbage on the street or into the river. But it seems worth asking and thinking about. For more background please see https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/utah/2021/1/30/22249311/why-green-energy-isnt-so-green-and-poses-harm-to-the-environment-hazardous-waste-utah-china-solar

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jlop said:

We'll be lucky if our solar panels last 20 years. And then what will we do with them all?  There are a lot of environmental  problems from producing these panels  with all of the mining and energy needed. We just don't see them as much because a lot of them take place in China and other countries rather than where the panels end up being used. The problem seems to be that the materials used in solar panels cost more to take out of the dead ones then you get for them. Has anyone heard of any planning or efforts to dismantle and recycle solar panels that no longer work in Asia? Maybe this is a pipe dream in a country where so many people throw all of their garbage on the street or into the river. But it seems worth asking and thinking about. For more background please see https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/utah/2021/1/30/22249311/why-green-energy-isnt-so-green-and-poses-harm-to-the-environment-hazardous-waste-utah-china-solar

That's a good question you are asking. Basically the answer is they are virtually 100% recyclable. However there needs to be an infrastructure of sorts to do this. In more solar savvy countries I believe this already exists. In Thailand that may not yet be the case. I'm sure there is a business opportunity here somewhere but it will probably be a few years before such a business will have a lot to do.

https://forevergreen-energy.co.uk/can-solar-panels-be-recycled/#:~:text=The short answer is yes,into landfill in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

That's a good question you are asking. Basically the answer is they are virtually 100% recyclable. However there needs to be an infrastructure of sorts to do this. In more solar savvy countries I believe this already exists. In Thailand that may not yet be the case. I'm sure there is a business opportunity here somewhere but it will probably be a few years before such a business will have a lot to do.

https://forevergreen-energy.co.uk/can-solar-panels-be-recycled/#:~:text=The short answer is yes,into landfill in the UK.

The key seems to be getting the companies to agree to take them back or forcing them to take them back. And then they have to recycle the materials. But we are a long way from that in a lot of countries including Thailand.

I hope you're right, because  I'm not sure I can install a solar system  when I don't know about the full  life cycle of the product. The history of broken promises made around recycling plastic, e-waste, etc. makes me wonder if this will all come true. And how much confidence can we have in promises from this government? The solar energy industry is as good as any other before it at promoting the benefits of their products and not mentioning the downsides. What's EGAT by the way?

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Knock the aluminium off them and use as roofing sheets.

Garden shed, dog house, etc.

Chuck them out by the bin. They will soon disappear into the local recycling system?

6 minutes ago, Jlop said:

I'm not sure I can install a solar system  when I don't know about the full  life cycle of the product.

Is an electric car on your horizon? Or a new TV? or... 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Jlop said:

I hope you're right, because  I'm not sure I can install a solar system  when I don't know about the full  life cycle of the product.

This sounds to me more like a mental illness.

Do you obsess this much about a plastic water/drinks bottle purchased in 7-11 before you buy it?

No fridge, no air-con, no car, no bicycle, no computer, no tv?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Do you obsess this much about a plastic water/drinks bottle purchased in 7-11 before you buy it?

19 hours ago, Muhendis said:

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You can call it a mental illness, because that's what you're familiar with. I call it a conscience.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Jlop said:

And how much confidence can we have in promises from this government?

Or any Government for that matter.  I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned plastic recycling...  We should have stopped and glass cola bottles and aluminium beer cans. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The late '70s UK "Get it in glass" campaign had a point.

I used to go out collecting the "empties" when I was a nipper. each one got me tuppence round at the off licence.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I used to go out collecting the "empties" when I was a nipper. each one got me tuppence round at the off licence.

One assumes you would never dream of pinching empties from the back of the "offie" and getting the deposit back again, and again, and again ... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1