Classic Cotton Briefs - Where?

ricklev

Pure cotton is as rare as a dog on a leash, here.  Ii always bring them from the US.  I saw some pure cotton briefs at a sporting goods place in CM, once.. fairly cheap.. Have you looked at Decathlon?  I think FTL, Hanes are going to be luxury brands only at Central, who may only have Calvin Klein at 1000 THB per piece.. I paid about 180 at Macy's.. You can always buy from Amazon and throw the dice with Lak Si. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, moontang said:

Pure cotton is as rare as a dog on a leash, here.

That is something that has always astonished me. Breathable pure cotton underwear is so clearly better than polyester, especially in a hot climate.

Not for the first time, I wish stuff ordered from Amazon was not hit with such ridiculous import taxes. Some sort of free trade agreement would make living here so much better.

27 minutes ago, donnacha said:

That is something that has always astonished me. Breathable pure cotton underwear is so clearly better than polyester, especially in a hot climate.

Not for the first time, I wish stuff ordered from Amazon was not hit with such ridiculous import taxes. Some sort of free trade agreement would make living here so much better.

Yeah. ever since I lived in 50 degree Phoenix, I only wear pure cotton.  Even the electric company workers demanded it in their contracts, citing safety reasons.  Skin rash, heat stroke, and higher risk of electrocution were mentioned.  The left were so busy bashing the Trumps they wouldn't even acknowledge everything he said about lack of trade reciprocity was 100% true.  I see Thai kids shuffling their feet in <deleted> sandals and just groan.. No way in hell they can afford decent cross trainers with the crazy tariffs here. I Google and found Shoppee selling FTL.. but sure enough it is 50% plastic garbage bag.  If they werent so focused on not sweating, they would realize their laundry detergent sucks, and so do the clothes sold here. But some of the girls are so damn pretty they would look great in a rice sack. The EuroTrash are big plastic wearers, too.. not hot enough I suppose. 

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I can find 100% cotton here.  It's just that they all seem to be designed for gay men posing in a sauna (not that there is anything wrong with that).  That is to say none of them actually reach my waist.  They are designed to ride on the hips.  Plus my 37 inch waist is XXXL size, which is rarely offered.  

A 3 pack of men's briefs should not fit in a sandwich bag size package, at least not the ones I am looking for.

I tried looking at Tesco once but couldn't find anything.  Are they really available there?

Amazon and Ebay's shipping and duty are quite expensive compared to the product cost.  I have bought them from Amazon in the past but the 1000 baht fee chaps my ass.

Rant over......

Edited by ricklev

I just looked at Tesco.. 3 for 179..says cotton, but I'll bet my Chang promo girl it isn't pure.  The higher end is 2 for 199..but says pure cotton rib.. I suppose that is the waistband?  Strange thing is the pure cotton ll bean shirts I buy are made in Malaysia, and last for 5+ years, and are quality pure cotton.. 32 us in the US on sale, likely 2500 thb here.. another reason I don't let the locals near my laundry.  That cotton may come from the US. 

3 hours ago, ricklev said:

I can find 100% cotton here.  It's just that they all seem to be designed for gay men posing in a sauna (not that there is anything wrong with that).  That is to say none of them actually reach my waist.  They are designed to ride on the hips.  Plus my 37 inch waist is XXXL size, which is rarely offered.  

A 3 pack of men's briefs should not fit in a sandwich bag size package, at least not the ones I am looking for.

I tried looking at Tesco once but couldn't find anything.  Are they really available there?

Amazon and Ebay's shipping and duty are quite expensive compared to the product cost.  I have bought them from Amazon in the past but the 1000 baht fee chaps my ass.

Rant over......

One brights pot is you can get the Thai GPO skin creams for a song that will clear up those rashes, Pronto.  Would require an office visit at home. 

2 hours ago, moontang said:

I just looked at Tesco.. 3 for 179..says cotton, but I'll bet my Chang promo girl it isn't pure.  The higher end is 2 for 199..but says pure cotton rib.. I suppose that is the waistband?  Strange thing is the pure cotton ll bean shirts I buy are made in Malaysia, and last for 5+ years, and are quality pure cotton.. 32 us in the US on sale, likely 2500 thb here.. another reason I don't let the locals near my laundry.  That cotton may come from the US. 

I went to Tesco and I can only say that those briefs are miniscule!  A 3 pack of men's briefs should not fit in a sandwich bag size package, at least not the ones I am looking for.  It's looking like I will have to bite the bullet and buy them from Amazon again.  

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

hanes will ship here

I did it through Border Free or someplace like that..

Thanks!  Turns out Hanes shipping direct is not too bad compared to Amazon.  https://www.hanes.com/ Two seven packs for 710 and they say that shipping includes all customs clearance charges.  It seems when I order past 1500 baht including shipping customs fees come into play.  That makes sense as that is the limit for personal goods via Iherb etc.  

And that is the over and out for my underwear saga....

Items ฿710
Shipping  ฿744
Duties ฿0
Taxes ฿0

TOTAL

(THB) ฿1,454

Edited by ricklev
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

Thanks!  Turns out Hanes shipping direct is not too bad compared to Amazon.  https://www.hanes.com/ Two seven packs for 710 and they say that shipping includes all customs clearance charges.  It seems when I order past 1500 baht including shipping customs fees come into play.  That makes sense as that is the limit for personal goods via Iherb etc.  

Items ฿710
Shipping  ฿744
Duties ฿0
Taxes ฿0

TOTAL

(THB) ฿1,454

ok.. good for you - my cost of shipping was similarly abt the same... 

The last time I shopped for underwear in one of the Central's I got into a predicament with two of the cute, 20-something saleswomen.  I was looking for Jockey, 32 inch waistband as I get in the states.  One of them comes out with a pair of narrowly cut black bikini briefs, waving them around while saying "Sexy Maaaan!!".  Ugh.  Maybe 20 years ago but definitely not for me now. I try to pull up the back of my waistband to show them the "32" as all they have is S-M-L-...XXXL and they charge in to have a look, one holding up my shirt and the other yanking up my waistband so high that it gives me my first wedgie in over 40 years.  It was right about then that my wife rounds the corner and gives me a look as if to say "what have you gotten yourself into this time???"  Luckily no blood was spilt that day.

So when I moved out here 4 months ago you can bet that one of my suitcases was stuffed with over 30 pair of Jockey underwear.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 7:07 PM, ricklev said:

Items ฿710
Shipping  ฿744
Duties ฿0
Taxes ฿0

TOTAL

(THB) ฿1,454

Is that a fairly recent development on the 1500?  Seems like it was always 1000, when I was trying to avoid Lak Si.  It was so horrible, I guess I haven't tried in several years.  They told a friend he could go to jail for ordering a box of cigars from Hong Kong. 

13 hours ago, moontang said:

Is that a fairly recent development on the 1500?  Seems like it was always 1000, when I was trying to avoid Lak Si.  It was so horrible, I guess I haven't tried in several years.  They told a friend he could go to jail for ordering a box of cigars from Hong Kong. 

I'm pretty sure that a combined shipping cost/product value of less than 50 dollars from the USA is considered personal use and not subject to import taxes.   Tobacco. on the other hand. is illegal to import in any amount without a license.  

27 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I'm pretty sure that a combined shipping cost/product value of less than 50 dollars from the USA is considered personal use and not subject to import taxes.   Tobacco. on the other hand. is illegal to import in any amount without a license.  

Yes, technically you need an excise permit, but for me 2 of 7 shipments from the Philippines were stopped and I had to pay 5-800.  The second time I just paid at the PO. And if they had used the soft packs that I requested, instead of the heavier box, I think it would have gone through.. Those were all EMS... Fedx, DHL no way, Jose.  And packages from Hong Kong are a big red flag (no pun intended), but there was a reputable Cuban dealer there.. Friend was out 350 usd on one shipment. 

I had some advice once ( several years ago) from a Jermyn Street (London) tailor,  “if Sir is moving to more hot and humid climate (Singapore at that time) might I suggest that you switch to a somewhat rougher cotton fabric , you may find it lets the heat out better, rather than keeps it in, you will likely then feel more comfortable in such climate”

one of the best pieces of advice I ever had about living in SE Asia. You  do not want very  silky cotton ie high thread count close to your body, in a hot and humid climate, you will sweat like crazy. Do as the locals do and wear rough cotton fabric close to your body.
For myself I buy  good quality , but rougher feel, cotton fabric ,from the Indian Wholesalers and get a local ex-tailor to turn out my boxers and shirts,  hardly sweat now. 

Edited by wordchild