should i stay or should i go

sathornlover

I turned right today the first time into the newly opened intersection Sai 36 Tap Ma and then had a red light in front of me.

I was of the opinion that this traffic light should not be ignored in any case and this also applies to me as a right-turning driver?

The following traffic was of a different opinion ...

Wrong or correct?

• Like 1

Looks like the other drivers knew something you didn’t although the last one cut it a bit fine !!, anyway, noticed that you went on red after all so we will never know if the lights were actually working or permanently on red ?

Could it be that the lights stay on red for a long period anyway ?, some lights near me are at red for 265 seconds !

Indeed terrible layout, but I have seen worse in Thailand, and those lights should not be there anyway.

These are the traffic lights that apply to the OP. He had a green arrow, and they seem to apply for the junction as well.

image.png.f99ae3b66687e46689425a4dc92bde23.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my opinion, at those lights you should NOT have stopped. They are intended for the cars already stopped directly opposite those light and on your left as you bared round to the right.

No road markings indicating any junction where you stopped either.

Terrible lay out and very confusing, I agree on that.

I see what you are saying CharlieH, the lack of road markings indicates that there is not a place to stop and the lights are meant for traffic already stopped to the ops left as seen at the beginning of the video.

But , those lights are a long way from the already aforementioned traffic and difficult to see .

I agree, confusing .

11 hours ago, sathornlover said:

Wrong or correct?

I would of stopped but continued when I saw others proceeding.

As you say it's a newly opened intersection.

So my guess is the light is either not working or is left on red to make people take care until road markings and additional lights are in place.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sathornlover said:

I turned right today the first time into the newly opened intersection Sai 36 Tap Ma and then had a red light in front of me.

I was of the opinion that this traffic light should not be ignored in any case and this also applies to me as a right-turning driver?

The following traffic was of a different opinion ...

Wrong or correct?

And at 10:37, you should have been at work, not wondering around.

Don't let your wife see this video.????

38 minutes ago, rwill said:

It looks like those lights are not working correctly.  All 3 directions at that intersection had red lights at the same time.  That makes no sense.

It is a typical traffic light circuit here. 
From the direction I am turning right has completely green and as we all now know as a right turn "I have to go" so traffic flow from 3 sides is not possible.

As I said it was the first time for 2 years that I turned into this newly opened intersection and was previously annoyed about another thing and then was not really happy about these two traffic lights ...

8 hours ago, rwill said:

Ok.  Thinking about this some those red lights are intended for traffic going straight across at that intersection, not for the cars making a right hand turn.

It's still a very bad, confusing position for them.

Yes indeed, your assumption is correct.
I add another video from this perspective:

On 2/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, sathornlover said:
On 2/22/2021 at 5:37 PM, rwill said:

It looks like those lights are not working correctly.  All 3 directions at that intersection had red lights at the same time.  That makes no sense.

It is a typical traffic light circuit here. 
From the direction I am turning right has completely green and as we all now know as a right turn "I have to go" so traffic flow from 3 sides is not possible.

As I said it was the first time for 2 years that I turned into this newly opened intersection and was previously annoyed about another thing and then was not really happy about these two traffic lights ...

Tend to disagree with @rwill on this and in my experience in Thailand, most controlled intersections work on a one-by-one rotational basis. Although they are fitted, any separately timed right-turn filter lights are seldom configured that way. I have always wondered why they invest in filter lights and the controls but seldom employ them. Then I see the average plod tooling up on his Scoopy to do the manual light timing during rush-hour traffic and it all becomes clear... it's too difficult.

So in the OP's instance, he should not have stopped at the red light under the overpass.