My son has to sit the test to get into EP / Maths program at the local gov't school. Need advice

jack71

My son is now 6 and in a few weeks he will have to do a test to get accepted into the local government primary school that all parents want their kids to attend. 

He's attended the last 2 yrs at a mediocre fee paying school with Thai and Filipino teachers. A year ago I decided to pay for homeschooling via a quality/ expensive college based in a Western country. Its been so good for him and now he can read and write. Its been amazing to see him progress with reading.

I have been teaching him both English and Maths and noticed he doesn't like Maths- and actually he's not so crash hot at it either....

The wife now tells me that on the day of the test we have to choose either the EP or the Maths program. We can't apply for both which is so stupid. So if our son doesn't get accepted into the Maths program he doesn't have any chance for the EP program. He can still go to the said school but it will be in the schools generic class program. I'm worried about this as it probably will not be so good and no air con in the rooms.(but I need to investigate the facts more regarding this before making judgements).

My wife is ambitious and has her ego/ reputation to consider.... and wants our son to try for the Maths program as 'thats where the smartest kids go'. I worry that if he somehow gets into the program he will be at the bottom of the class and unhappy. 

Alternatively he enjoys English and so confident and happy doing it. I suspect he would be at the top of the class. Its certainly the case at his current school where the teacher doesn't let him answer any questions anymore because he's one of the few that can do the work. 

Im reaching out to any teachers on this forum to guide me a little bit on this matter. What should we do? Personally I think the EP classes would be the best for him and we could continue the private Maths classes on weekends part time. Maybe try in a few yrs to get into that top Maths class or whatever.

Thanks 

This is a lot of pressure for a 6 yr old... 

Just let him know that you love him no matter how well he does or doesn't do on the test... 

I think the school systems here can put too much pressure on kids. I also did not like the idea of ranking the kids so early in their education...

good luck to you.. and your son, 

On 2/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, jack71 said:

My wife is ambitious and has her ego/ reputation to consider.

Tell your wife to put HER ego aside and think of the child.

Go for the EP and let him settle in, build his confidence and get high grades.

Continue with the extra maths tuition, then later when he has a better grasp  of the subject you can switch.

If your wife pushes him into the now shaky maths and fails he will stop in his tracks, as he will struggle every day.

At age 6 build him up on his strengths, the rest will follow naturally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just show how <deleted> up the system is. My kids went through the same, but they did not bad at all. I felt sorry for them homework for a 3 or 4 year old kid ????  Yet at the end still no sense of common sense, luckily they got that part of their education from me.

EP! forget the math for now. It will come in time. As said let him excel in English and build up to the math. Hell 6 year olds should be doing no more than basic adding, and subtracting.  The wife is wrong, and that is going to be hard to deal with. But do it. 

On 2/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, jack71 said:

My son is now 6 and in a few weeks he will have to do a test to get accepted into the local government primary school that all parents want their kids to attend. 

He's attended the last 2 yrs at a mediocre fee paying school with Thai and Filipino teachers. A year ago I decided to pay for homeschooling via a quality/ expensive college based in a Western country. Its been so good for him and now he can read and write. Its been amazing to see him progress with reading.

I have been teaching him both English and Maths and noticed he doesn't like Maths- and actually he's not so crash hot at it either....

The wife now tells me that on the day of the test we have to choose either the EP or the Maths program. We can't apply for both which is so stupid. So if our son doesn't get accepted into the Maths program he doesn't have any chance for the EP program. He can still go to the said school but it will be in the schools generic class program. I'm worried about this as it probably will not be so good and no air con in the rooms.(but I need to investigate the facts more regarding this before making judgements).

My wife is ambitious and has her ego/ reputation to consider.... and wants our son to try for the Maths program as 'thats where the smartest kids go'. I worry that if he somehow gets into the program he will be at the bottom of the class and unhappy. 

Alternatively he enjoys English and so confident and happy doing it. I suspect he would be at the top of the class. Its certainly the case at his current school where the teacher doesn't let him answer any questions anymore because he's one of the few that can do the work. 

Im reaching out to any teachers on this forum to guide me a little bit on this matter. What should we do? Personally I think the EP classes would be the best for him and we could continue the private Maths classes on weekends part time. Maybe try in a few yrs to get into that top Maths class or whatever.

Thanks 

It seems to me that your wife's ego and ambition comes before the education of your child.....Maybe worth reconsidering everything.

On 2/22/2021 at 3:05 AM, FritsSikkink said:

You always get Math, also in an EP.

Agree, plus my understanding is that the English Program also includes much better coverage, teaching quality, materials/books etc., for Science. 

In reality I sort of doubt that the English program would be only English and no other subjects.

Kids, even in high school need variety in their studies, learning English 6 hours a day X 5 days every week X 2 full semesters a year for several years would be very boring.

Edited by scorecard

Go with the EP. Develop his language skill at the earliest age possible. I'm a maths teacher in an EP, and for sure he will also do maths in english, plus science and some other subjects. Intensive math (particularly in Thai) at such a young age will be detrimental to many kids' learning and attitude to maths. So if your son appears to not enjoy maths at this time, pushign him into maths now will eb counter-productive. English will be far more useful in the future for him. 

It seems that attitude that "the smartest kids study maths" is an old attitude. Some of my best maths students have absolutely no interpersonal and communication skills. Those skills are important to a  future career, and probably more important than any specific maths skills that develop. 

It's hard to know the specifics of these programs, BUT the English program usually means they get almost all the subjects taught in English.   They will have a few subjects taught in Thai, including Thai language and possibly a social class which centers a lot on Thai Buddhism, culture and history.   Otherwise, it's English all the way.  

In my experience, students are streamed into Math/Science streams until about G. 10.   In elementary school, it will probably mean a couple of extra hours of math, but remember at his age, this is really only arithmetic.  Any real attempt to teach more than that is simply beyond the comprehension level of most early learners.  

I remember a Thai admin who insisted on having the KG students learn 3 digit addition.   It worked, but ONLY if the problems that they had learned were given on the exam and they had to be given in the same order they learned them.   I think that's called memorizing.  

On a financial basis, I'd certainly say English is a good investment for a young learner.  I'd say Math and/or Science would be a good investment when a student has completed at least elementary school.

Just off topic a touch . The kids are in school near us ,  5- 15 year olds and there is a party across the road , 20 metres from the school playing field classrooms. There is singing , chanting , fire crackers going off , loud music being played , some of the kids are not even in class , they have gone over to the school fence to see what's happening......Just been told it is a party/function where people can go get their future read ( for a price ) .

So much for childrens education . This will go on for the next Two days.

Edited by NE1

17 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Just off topic a touch . The kids are in school near us ,  5- 15 year olds and there is a party across the road , 20 metres from the school playing field classrooms. There is singing , chanting , fire crackers going off , loud music being played , some of the kids are not even in class , they have gone over to the school fence to see what's happening......Just been told it is a party/function where people can go get their future read ( for a price ) .

So much for childrens education . This will go on for the next Two days.

Great, are we invited? 555555

5 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Great, are we invited?

I went round to the clairvoyant/psychic house for an invite , knocked on the door " he said who is it "  I shouted "not that good are you " and went home.

• Haha 1