Would you be more likely to visit Hua Hin if....

moontang

Would you be more likely to visit Hua Hin if...   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

very few of them remain now, maybe 10 left, and they were never a problem.

opposite, add some attraction to the place and security (those guys work for police).

the problem with HH beach is, that it's disappearing now - during high time very difficult to get there from the hilton side, further down it narrows just to few meters and is impossible to get to the mountain on the other end.

Water level seems higher or ground is sinking, to what I remember 16 years ago.

Sand is darkening from nearby mangroves.

I still go there, because it's completely empty. Short brakes 3-5 nights. My other choices - jomtien (but too crowdy) and rayong beach (the far end - but it's boring) 

In cha am many trees on the beach fall down to waves, it was in january, and even there was not a storm.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Now ask that question again but make the subject 'removing all the jellyfish from the sea'

I only see them about one trip in four.  Did see a small child miss getting trampled by a split second.  Also saw an idiot with her phone in her face while riding a horse among a Sunday crowd. 

Neither the horses or the jelly-fish make any difference on our decision to visit Hua-Hin. 

Its a decent weekend getaway, good hotels, enjoyable restaurants, fun touristy market which is ok for a quick-bimble. 

It has a great water park which my son loves - the beach is actually fun for catching the little crabs and looking at the dead jelly fish on the beach - The drive to get there is an easy one from Bangkok. 

The ponies ?? - they’re not really a big deal, they’re no imposing or a hassle. 

Perhaps the greatest issue is ease of beach access for those who are not at a Water-front hotel (Hua Hin). 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither the horses or the jelly-fish make any difference on our decision to visit Hua-Hin. 

Its a decent weekend getaway, good hotels, enjoyable restaurants, fun touristy market which is ok for a quick-bimble. 

It has a great water park which my son loves - the beach is actually fun for catching the little crabs and looking at the dead jelly fish on the beach - The drive to get there is an easy one from Bangkok. 

The ponies ?? - they’re not really a big deal, they’re no imposing or a hassle. 

Perhaps the greatest issue is ease of beach access for those who are not at a Water-front hotel (Hua Hin). 

You get to know where access is, but parking is an entirely different matter. 

I like the horses. Excellent opportunity for children. If I thought ANTIFA / PETA ACTIVISTS were campaigning against the horses and their owners I would go to HH  to support the horse owners. But what would really get me back to HH is the elimination of all the western hotel blocking access to the beach. Open beach access and half a dozen well run Go Go bars and a couple of G clubs.

17 hours ago, moontang said:

the horses were permanently removed from the beach? 

Noooo! My kids have grown up in Thailand, and they love our trips to Hua Hin. 
The horses are a big part of what makes HH special for families. 

There is no serious mafia here , and I have been using some of these guys for years. My kids know many of the horses by name and can spot them from distance . 

The pricing is consistent ( albeit high) and the service is usually good, sometimes excellent. It’s not just the ride, my kids have learned a great deal , in terms of horsemanship, over the last several years. 

in recent years more attention has been paid to cleaning up the horse poo, usually by the handlers. For me , a little (completely biodegradable ) horse poo , on the beach , is significantly less offensive than the plastic litter that I still see everywhere.

Edited by wordchild

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Just don't like the place, the drive there, the beach, the City, the people, the shopping , such as it is,  or the food;  so no. 

Drive not as easy as Jomtien, but the Southern bus terminal vans are consistently better than morchitt2, but not as good as airport bus.  If you have weekend warrior tendencies, three hours could turn into 6.

The people can be very hit or miss, both Thai and farang, and that goes for beach scene, bars, and shopping.  It can have a bad vibe at times, especially in these times of economic chaos for the tourism sector. 

Now that is an interesting comment on the food, that I tend to agree with. Last time, I stopped off at chaam on my way home.  First meal I had was better than any meal I had ever had in HH.. Truly outstanding, beachfront setting, and great pricing.  My theory is that the heavy European influence in HH has ruined the Thai food.  2 tacos for 240?  Unthinkable.  And the other forces are greed. high rents, and the desire to to soak the wealthy first timers. 

Now back to the horses.  Talked to a brit snowbird, who actually quarantined to come for three months.  He told me that the issue had heated up recently and a meeting was held with he guides and they were told to shape up.  I think it is more of a bad accident waiting to happen than the jetskis. Add a few thousand Chinese to the mix and it is just a matter of time.  Kids love the horses, I get that, but kids also like fire and driving at high speeds. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Hua Hin only worth visiting if NCC1701A is the tour guide!

No not really,i used to know a lot of cute young girls there,the same women are still there but now it is 25 years later.

They may have changed a bit i would think.

Edited by jvs

i have been to the stables (with my kids) where a number of the horses are kept. we were taken there by one of the guys who owns , or has bred (and subsequently sold on) , a number of the current batch of the beach stallions. all the working stallions (only male horses work on the beach) looked to be well cared for and in good condition. i believe that particular owner is a  genuine horse lover and cares for his horses;  however i learned from him, and have seen with my own eyes, that not all of the beach horses are so  well looked after; eg i am concerned to have seen (maybe, post covid19), a growing number of horses kept on the beach overnight, in makeshift shelters. this cannot be good for their health an also their general well-being!  

Edited by wordchild

Not at all. I think the horses are about the only charming part about Hua Hin's beach. There are better beaches elsewhere.

What WOULD cause me to visit Hua Hin more often, on the other hand, is better air quality. Getting away from Bangkok from time to time for a breeze of fresh air is important. Sadly, often the air in Hua Hin isn't that much better, so that it pays to visit some place further down South instead.