How is an asupicious time/date calculated?

As a non-believer, I'd still like to know if there's some logic as to how these are arrived at?

I've been involved (from the sidelines) in various house building projects.

My sister-in-law is building a house, and obviously she's been 'told' by the monks when they can erect a couple of reinforcing bars for the concrete pillars.

It was  today (22nd February) at 08:19. Why?

What does it have to do with any religion, not just buddhism?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe they contact T.A.T. and ask them to pull some numbers out of the hat ! 🤣🤣🤣

I think most of it has to do with Moon phases.  On this day, Feb.22, 2021,  the Moon will be in a Waxing Gibbous phase. This phase is when the moon is more than 50% illuminated but not yet a Full Moon

My suggestion, don't even try to understand, it's a cultural thing way beyond the farang comprehension! 

Thanks for the humorous replies!

However is there some way these dates and times are arrived at?

As an aside, I believe Easter in the christian church for example is calculated years in advance. I think it uses some planetary alignment to do with the moon? Hence it being a 'moveable feast' so to speak.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

I think most of it has to do with Moon phases.  On this day, Feb.22, 2021,  the Moon will be in a Waxing Gibbous phase. This phase is when the moon is more than 50% illuminated but not yet a Full Moon. The phase lasts about 7 days with the moon becoming more illuminated each day until the Full Moon.  Why this particular moon phase has to do with anything, I have no clue. My guess is, that it has something to do with the Buddha's involvement with something.  Maybe he took a shower during this moon phase or passed gas or something.  🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the insight into how it works.

Not that I can see why it should, but I am interested about any system used to arrive with these figures.

If it is lunar based, how does that fit in with the philosophy of buddhism, and why? I'm guessing it's part of the mumbo-jjumbo that's evolved down the (more recent) centuries?

5 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

You are correct, most of it is mumbo-jumbo.  I think most of the Buddhist holidays are centered around the full moon.  Probably because calender's back then were not very accurate and I'm pretty sure there were at least 2 different calender's used back then. And if I'm not mistaken, they also didn't have the days named yet, Monday, Tuesday, etc.  So again, we're down to mumbo-jumbo.

Do you know what any of the calendars were, and about how far back that goes?

On 2/22/2021 at 2:47 AM, bluesofa said:

As an aside, I believe Easter in the christian church for example is calculated years in advance. I think it uses some planetary alignment to do with the moon? Hence it being a 'moveable feast' so to speak.

Yes, but amazing that his death is moved but his birth isn't

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:
On 2/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, bluesofa said:

Yes, but amazing that his death is moved but his birth isn't

IIRC isn't the birth date and the year considered to be erroneous?

• Like 1

Having been married to a Thai for 48 years, my advice is go with the flow.  If the monks/wife pick a particular date, don't buck the system.  You'll have hell to pay for when your roof collapses or an accident happens.  Believe what you may, but in all likelihood, you're operating on 110V, you wife is 220V.  If the gecko cries just before you're about to leave the house and the wife says suddenly not interested in going out, just go without her.  She knows better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1