Foreigners should be FORCED to have a Covid-19 vaccination - and they should pay for it, Thai poll

webfact

I happen to agree that the taxpaying Thai citizens should be the only ones getting free vaccinations. I am a retiree living here as a guest of Thailand and I have no problem getting and paying for the vaccine with the caveat being that it doesn't come from China. 

I have a hospital appointment in March.  I asked them if I could have a Covid jab at the same time.  I asked them, I want it, I will pay for it but their answer was that I could not have it until the government sources the vaccine.  No need for a poll to tell me to get vaccinated.

4 hours ago, law ling said:

The use of the word "forced" is a little unsettling.

The word "FORCED" is used we all know the reason why, while the more apropiate word would be "mandatory".

Not sure but it seems absolutely normal that in case of a pandemic, mandatory vaccination (especially for foreigners bc facts are, Thailand is mostly covid free but foreign western countries are plagued by covid) is a tool to control the pandemic, and that foreigners should pay for their own vaccin, who could possible argue that that is wrong?

1 hour ago, TooBigToFit said:

Once everyone is vaccinated, the same people who wanted forced vaccinations will be screaming "How did all the foreigners get vaccinated before us! It's unfair!"

oh get a grip....(lets stop here or i will get banned again from the forum...)

Why do Thai never start to think of fairness????

It's very simple. 

Everybody pays or it free for everybody.

Get a life!!!!!

Since I do know about dual pricing rip-off and this unfair spirit and scams.

I am glad that the tourist industry is still suffering.

.... because they are still not ready for foreign tourists!!!!

Stop dual pricing!!!!!!

Stop rip-offs!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, donnacha said:

No one will be forced to take (and pay for) the vaccine, but they won't be allowed to stay. Not in Thailand, not in any country other than their home country.

This could get complicated when the airlines make proof-of-vaccination mandatory for all passengers. For those determined not to get vaccinated, and who must leave their expat home, there may not be much of a window during which they will be able to fly back to their home country. 

What I suspect will happen is that the overwhelming majority of people currently saying they will "never" get vaccinated will, in fact, quietly go and vaccinated once it becomes clear how limited their life will be without one.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it makes sense to be realistic about how travel and expat life will be affected once the vaccine become generally available.

dont worry, there will be plenty of fake vaccination certificates in circulation in no time.  ha ha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Bowman said:

I've lived here for years and have noticed that Thailand's officialdom is not much different than my home country. Neither government has ever given me anything for free...

well your wrong wife worked for 10 years in restaurant  in France. ,restaurant just gone bust ,shes now getting paid 1200 euros. a month ,from the government  ,plus holiday money from the liquidation  company ,free health cover ,Thailand was cheap easy  20 years ago ,no problems with visa ,today ,do this do that. ,thai beer cheaper in France than thailand. , to me the old thailand has gone. not even sure if  it is thailand ,but now part of the new chinese  empire 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

only taxpayers should get it for free

Now this statement really annoys me when I hear it, both here and in the UK. OK, so retired people may not pay income tax and social security contributions, but we have to pay VAT on much of what we buy, as well as additional taxes and duty on booze. We have to pay property transfer tax if we want to buy a house or condo, and depending on your circumstances you might have to pay anannual property tax as well (I do, and it's 7,500 Baht/year). Then there's road tax and fuel duty, and no doubt many other fiscal impositions that are impossible to avoid. Now I enjoy a drink, and like many retired expats here I'm well-off financially and buy a lot of stuff that gets 7% of the price sent straight to the government in VAT. I've no doubt that, even though I pay no income tax here, the Thai government's annual total tax receipts from me far exceed the income tax paid by most of the population. So why do they try and make it sound as if I'm a tax-dodging scrounger looking for handouts? The UK's no better, and although VAT also forms a large part of the total tax receipts there, paying it doesn't qualify you as a "taxpayer" for some strange reason.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

While nearly 40% of respondents think foreigners should pay for the vaccine themselves with nearly a third suggesting only taxpayers should get it for free.

In that case vast majority of Thai would have to pay for it , when millions never paid a single baht in income tax and never will.

They should have also asked if respondents ever paid personal tax or understand where government gets the money from. Just being born a Thai, does not fill up the coffers 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Wow, the natives are restless. 

Pitchfork and torch time.

I will gladly pay for my vaccination.

I too would pay for my vaccine provided I had a choice of vaccines!!! Also if they force us to get a vaccine don't you think it will isolate Thailand from the free world?