Foreigners should be FORCED to have a Covid-19 vaccination - and they should pay for it, Thai poll

webfact

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

why would somebody waste of money and time reporting such BS.... how can a poll using 1,318 people be reliable/credible

Every time a poll is reported in Thailand, the armchair experts come out in force to belittle the work of the professional pollsters, based on the amateurs' lack of understanding of the field of statistics. That number of people (1318) is quite sufficient under the circumstances (assuming that the cohort was sampled randomly).

As a very rough rule of thumb, the sample size should be about 10% of the population, but there is not much benefit in going over about 1000 participants. And you should not go below 100. 

A poll of 1,000 Thais will give a result that is very close to being as accurate as a poll of 1000 Americans, despite their population size being five times greater. 

On the other hand, if you had two groups that you were interested in comparing that were of size 100 and 200, then you'd need to survey everyone in the first group, and half the people in the second group to get a reasonably accurate result.

7 minutes ago, judokrab said:

A poll of 1,000 Thais will give a result that is very close to being as accurate as a poll of 1000 Americans, despite their population size being five times greater. 

I'm thinking the 'professional pollsters' only ask Thai government officials.

I may be wrong, but strangely enough I'm able to predict the poll results without asking anyone by just remembering three simple facts ......... Prayut is good, Thai military is good, foreigners (especially white foreigners) are bad.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Misleading heading. Most Thais think all foreigners shouldn't get a jab and a minority of Thais think they should pay. 

As a Thai, I think all foreigners entering the country should be vaccinated but not those living here. 

I think they should pay themselves. Those working will have health insurance. Those not working can afford it. 

The question is what kind of vaccine ...Sinovac, Sputnik, etc..or AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna ???

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Politicians were reserved for last place - just 0.48% thought they should get preferential treatment. 

7 hours ago, chakatee said:

While reading the whole article one could worry that this poll might affect political decisions. It took until the very last sentence to become aware that this poll will not be taken seriously by those in force, they might decide to just do the opposite.

But there aren't that many politicians. They can ignore that bit*, and continue to curry favour with the masses by implementing popular bits.

*There have already been scandals in several South American countries relating to politicians & their buddies 'somehow' getting access to vaccinations along with the legit first tier priority folks like medical workers.

So, you wanna FORCE me and my half Thai family to get shot up with a high risk , experimental, toxic vaccination that MAY slightly reduce my chances of catching a virus that CAN be cured with megadoses of vitamin C? 

I'll just stay at home in Australia with the THOUSANDS of dollars that I otherwise would have spent in Thailand, thanks all the same!

• Like 1

Why so many read the numbers from public survey like is official Governemnt plans and foreigner must intend western people. Foreign to Thailand  Asian people are near near 3 millions official and not known much more.

Western foreigners all  are less then 10 percent of 3million.

Is maybe fair that all people who pays can choose. Are Westerns more special rich?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners should be FORCED to have a Covid-19 vaccination - and they should pay for it, Thai poll

1pm.jpg

Image: Daily News

A Nida poll conducted last week in Thailand revealed that nearly half of Thais think that foreigners should be forced to have a Covid-19 vaccination. 

Less than a third thought foreigners should have any choice in the matter.

While nearly 40% of respondents think foreigners should pay for the vaccine themselves with nearly a third suggesting only taxpayers should get it for free. 

Meanwhile retirees are way down the list of folk on the vaccination pecking order.....under even students, according to the poll.

And less than 10% thought it was worth vaccinating people in the tourism industry first. 

The Nida poll was entitled "Who should get a Covid-19 jab first?" and was split into several categories, like where, who, jobs and foreigners.

There were 1,318 respondents from February 15th to 17th.

44.54% thought that all foreigners should be forced to get a jab.

28.22% thought it was up to them

26.25% thought foreigners who represented a high risk should be forced to get vaccinated

The rest didnt know, didn't answer or were not interested - just 0.99%.

So who should pay for foreigners to get vaccinated?

38.92% thought foreigners should pay themselves

31.72% thought those legally paying tax in Thailand should get it for free

25.72% said everyone should get it for free irrespective of race

0.68% thought the state should go halves with foreigners

2.96% were in the don't know group

Asked what places should be targeted FIRST for vaccination the results were as follows:

56.9% provinces hit hard in the second wave

16.77% equal weight given to everywhere

10.70% tourism provinces

10.39% border provinces

5.24% provinces with high level of industry

Asked what jobs, professions or special groups should be targeted first 40.48% thought that should be workers in the medical fields. 

14.41% thought general workers and those doing physical work

8.87% said those in the tourism sector

7.57% said equal weight should be given to all. 

Among the others students rated 4.93% and homeworkers, retirees and the unemployed were near the bottom of the pile on just 3.49%.

Politicians were reserved for last place - just 0.48% thought they should get preferential treatment. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-22

..how about forcibly inoculating all the illegal immigrants they nab..after all they are highest risk people of all.

Edited by tandor

7 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

And what happens to people like my daughter, that have serious adverse reactions to vaccines? She cannot have them, but she's lived in Thailand for 5 years now. She has nothing left in our home country, her home is here.
Do they even realize there are a lot of people with this problem?

No offense, but this is not your country or your daughters country and you’re at the whim of any rule they impose. You knew that when you came here.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

Western nations should not send free or reduced-price vaccines, and not innoculate Thais overseas unless they pay. Fair is fair..

Has Thailand Government not already say vaccination for all in Thailand  free? Is there a one  country who has not offered same?

1 minute ago, paulikens said:

@Pilotman "in their shoes, i would agree."    so you are as stupid as them! is that what you're saying?

Thanks for that.  I am saying that if this was my country, harbouring people who were not citizens and only on a temporary extension of stay, I would support them all being vaccinated.  This is not your country old son, see it from their point of view, if you can, which judging by your insult, you never will. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It seems about right in terms of what I would expect people to say. In their shoes, I would agree. 

if I understand you correctly, you would rely on the opinion of 1,318 people to make a drastic decision.... ????

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Thanks for that.  I am saying that if this was my country, harbouring people who were not citizens and only on a temporary extension of stay, I would support them all being vaccinated.  This is not your country old son, see it from their point of view, if you can, which judging by your insult, you never will. 

@Pilotman their narrow minded view you mean.  if any foreigner has been in Thailand for the last year they have no more chance of having it than a Thai.  i have no qualms about paying for it, cuz as you say its not my country thats fair enough but to be forced to take it, is against a persons human rights and then you're on a very slippery slope if you think thats ok.   but then again its a poll that just over a 1000 people took part it and so it doesnt really matter.

• Like 2