What you need to know before travelling back to the UK.

A bit of further information that I've discovered. All visitors to UK (and illegals) are entitled to free vaccine and treatment for Covid if required. Need to register with a GP first, in order to get.

British Citizens need their National Insurance Number and register with a GP to get called for Vaccination.

Going back in 2 weeks with KLM, 280 quid one way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 8:51 AM, natway09 said:

For your info I had a customer last night denird boarding on Qatar as although had a valid Covid test here had not prebooked his required 2 tests in England & been given a code number for same

Very odd. Qatar is on the UK "redlist" at the moment, which means that - if it transits through Qatar - he actually is subject to the mandatory hotel quarantine at £1,750. As far as I'm aware that includes all Covid testing on arrival, so he would not have needed to have booked those tests separately. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong in that. 

I assume on March 8th (date of your post) it may not have been on the redlist at that point.

Edited by Tuvoc

Maybe I should not say this, but when I travelled back to UK last year, when restrictions appeared to be similar to what I now read, I did all that was required and self quarantined at my residence in UK.  The reality was that having to through Heathrow immigration procedures, all simple if the paperwork was in order, then nobody took any notice of what I did from then on.  I was a good boy and followed instructions to the letter, but as far as I could see, nobody cared what I did once I left LHR. 

I was expecting checks to see if I was in quarantine, (phone calls to that address etc.,) but absolutely nothing.  I could have been out and about from day 1, and nobody would have known.   I was given a phone number of a help line for persons in quarantine, but that was only for support or questions.

Unless UK border force had a secret spy watching me, I was basically free from leaving LHR.   When I did leave quarantine I could travel as I wanted; only restriction was to wear a mask when in public areas, but this was not enforced, as far as I could see.

It might be different now, but I suspect that UK authorities are far too busy to care what individuals do.  Unlike Thailand, thy appeared o have faith that people would obey the rules, and left it to that.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:19 AM, Robin said:

It might be different now, but I suspect that UK authorities are far too busy to care what individuals do.  Unlike Thailand, thy appeared o have faith that people would obey the rules, and left it to that

It certainly is different now, was for me anyway.

I returned last month and received a phone call every day of the ten of self isolation

On 4/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, Tuvoc said:

Very odd. Qatar is on the UK "redlist" at the moment, which means that - if it transits through Qatar - he actually is subject to the mandatory hotel quarantine at £1,750. As far as I'm aware that includes all Covid testing on arrival, so he would not have needed to have booked those tests separately. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong in that. 

I assume on March 8th (date of your post) it may not have been on the redlist at that point.

Qatar was placed on the UK government's 'red list' at 4am on Friday March 19. ... The Middle Eastern state joined Oman and  the UAE on the UK list of banned destinations same day.. I tend to use Etihad a lot and was thinking or heading back just for the Vacs...but...not yet....1750 quid to be banged up for 10 days...Mai krup..

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 5:29 PM, jojothai said:

Are there no provisions for british citizens getting the vaccination if you return to UK.
Just go to quarantine. Is it not shortsighted.
Are british citizens from abroad not allowed to get it in the UK. What is the government policy?
They are giving vaccinations to foreigners in the UK.

We have no way of knowing whether we will get anything here,

and for at high risk people that's going be a seriously bad situation to be in.
If many people get the vaccine. We do not know if it still transmits.
Therefore if things start to open up, we become more at risk if we cannot get the vaccine.
Thats not an acceptable situation to be in.

Can you please  query and advise if there is any consideration being given in the UK to this.
If i cannot get the vaccine here then i have no choice but to go back to uk.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, Rinrada said:

Qatar was placed on the UK government's 'red list' at 4am on Friday March 19. ... The Middle Eastern state joined Oman and  the UAE on the UK list of banned destinations same day.. I tend to use Etihad a lot and was thinking or heading back just for the Vacs...but...not yet....1750 quid to be banged up for 10 days...Mai krup..

With the fiasco here trying to get vaccinated, is going to UK to get vaccinated a "reasonable excuse"? Foreigners here are not likely to get vaccinated before August. I'm getting beyond caring about the cost, I just want it done. I am happy to quarantine for 10 days, get my shots and come back. I'm a UK citizen and my Civil Partner, (under UK law) is Japanese. I might as well close up my flat here, cancel the maid, (already paused her), and wait until Thailand slips into the Covid abyss, and grapples its way out of it, when they start making sensible decisions about a countrywide rollout, with nationality not being a requirement/impairment.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, samtam said:

With the fiasco here trying to get vaccinated, is going to UK to get vaccinated a "reasonable excuse"? Foreigners here are not likely to get vaccinated before August. I'm getting beyond caring about the cost, I just want it done. I am happy to quarantine for 10 days, get my shots and come back. I'm a UK citizen and my Civil Partner, (under UK law) is Japanese. I might as well close up my flat here, cancel the maid, (already paused her), and wait until Thailand slips into the Covid abyss, and grapples its way out of it, when they start making sensible decisions about a countrywide rollout, with nationality not being a requirement/impairment.

Hi Santam
I found out that because of Covid, ANY visitor to the Uk now can get registered with a GP.
They will then get vaccinated for free. 
https://www.healthylondon.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Action-update-Registering-with-a-GP-18.6.2020.pdf

So both you and your wife should be ok to get registered and vaccinated.

They are vaccinating anybody in the UK of a certain age, (they state even illegal immigrants) not just residents.

Before it was difficult to get registered with a GP as a non resident after a long time abroad. 
This gives a good reason to go back, as well as the vaccination.
I want to get registered again with A GP.

Two years ago while in the UK I had a blood pressure issue. it  was not critical but clearly something wrong and i needed to identify if i may need some alternative medication. I wasted all day in A&E at one of the biggest hospitals in Manchester and eventually they could not do anything without knowing my history. Effectively they were saying that I needed to have a GP. 
This may re-occur in the future and i do not want to go through their <deleted> again. I need to have a GP.

I am planning to go to UK in two weeks time.
Lufthansa and KLM are a good price to Manchester.

Thai is direct but I understand it is a shambles. Do not go through middle east. Flights are cheap but Qatar and UAE are on the red list and require hotel quarantine.
For the 10 day UK quarantine you need to look at the 5 day test that can get you out of quarantine earlier.
It does no cost much to buy. It will mean nearly 6 days out of circulation

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, samtam said:

With the fiasco here trying to get vaccinated, is going to UK to get vaccinated a "reasonable excuse"? ,,,,

I forgot to mention that family and friends are telling me that in the UK there is 12 weeks between the first and second shot of the vaccine.

20 minutes ago, jojothai said:

I forgot to mention that family and friends are telling me that in the UK there is 12 weeks between the first and second shot of the vaccine.

Yes, I'm hearing similar at the moment, but I gather it's getting quicker, and aiming to be 3 weeks. Choices, choices.