German cyclist taken to hospital after collapsing in northern Thailand

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Soldiers from the cavalry division, nurses and foundation rescue staff attended to a 65 year old German man after he fell unconscious during a road cycling race up Doi Tung in Chiang Rai.

They managed to resuscitate him and he was able to tell them that his name was Mr Klaus J.P. and had been living in the Mae Jan area for 7 years. 

He was taken to the local hospital with a low pulse then later on Sunday morning was transferred to hospital in Chiang Rai. 

Soure: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-22
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

They learned his name only because he was able to tell them. Note to runners and cyclists: keep a copy of your passport with you when you're out on the road. 

A pink ID card for foreigners is useful. Provides your details in Thai (no English used on the card) as well as your blood group. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 2:59 PM, webfact said:

9pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Soldiers from the cavalry division, nurses and foundation rescue staff attended to a 65 year old German man after he fell unconscious during a road cycling race up Doi Tung in Chiang Rai.

They managed to resuscitate him and he was able to tell them that his name was Mr Klaus J.P. and had been living in the Mae Jan area for 7 years. 

He was taken to the local hospital with a low pulse then later on Sunday morning was transferred to hospital in Chiang Rai. 

Soure: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-22

Yes it was very busy here on Sunday morning, with them all wizzing past the house.

I knew something had happened because of the Ambulance.I hope he makes a healthy recovery.Some of those bikes looked like they cost a few bob !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

They learned his name only because he was able to tell them. Note to runners and cyclists: keep a copy of your passport with you when you're out on the road. 

It also helps if you have some form of ID written in Thai with local contact info.  

7 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Gosh, I hope that doesn't mean I shouldn't ride my usual one day 240km ride with 3000m of climbing over two major mountain passes this coming July.  Granted, I'm not quite 65 but I've spent my whole life running and cycling both here and abroad.  Not stopping anytime soon.  

You are obviously an accomplished and fit athlete, and I take my hat off to you. I was not implying people stop, just think twice, and maybe have regular check ups. All the best on your upcoming sojourn, and please stay safe on the roads. 

Bye the way, I appreciate it is not my business, but may I ask please which mountain range you are crossing?

• Like 2

Thats why these fitness trackers are so useful, agreed they are not medical instruments but they will give a good indication if something is wrong like heart rate/pressure etc 

Hydration is another importatnt issue in this heat.

Hope the guy is ok, he was lucky to get such a rapid response/help.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

You are obviously an accomplished and fit athlete, and I take my hat off to you. I was not implying people stop, just think twice, and maybe have regular check ups. All the best on your upcoming sojourn, and please stay safe on the roads. 

Bye the way, I appreciate it is not my business, but may I ask please which mountain range you are crossing?

Not at all.  It's in the Cascade range of the western US located in Washington State.  Here's a link to the event.  In 2020 it was cancelled due to Covid-19.  Hopefully it's a go this year.  

RAMROD (redmondcyclingclub.org)  

14 hours ago, roodujardin said:

A pink ID card for foreigners is useful. Provides your details in Thai (no English used on the card) as well as your blood group. 

blood group ? I don't see it on my pink ID; maybe the new ones, mine is five years ago, or I didn't look well 

Edited by Aforek

Reportedly had a low pulse, well the pulse rate can be highly individualistic, I would think his blood pressure likely dropped due to dehydration, low electrolytic levels or possibly hypoglycemia. The heat and humidity here can punish the fittest of us. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Edited by watso63
Added another possible cause for the cyclist's issue's
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Thank you Klaus for your reply.  It's great to hear that you have recovered and that you are out of the hospital so soon.  May you enjoy many more years and kilometres of cycling the hills and mountains of northern Thailand.  

Would be good to know whether he ignored warning signs, if so what were they? underlying conditions? or just undiagnosed, if so could happen to any of us

• Like 1

"They learned his name only because he was able to tell them. Note to runners and cyclists: keep a copy of your passport with you when you're out on the road."

Who cares what his name is? Do they need to know his name to give him emergency care? To bring him to a hospital? 

Don't you think knowing someone's name is the last thing you need in a situation like this? Whatever would happen, you can sort out who a person is later. 

By the way, what is with all the rubbish on the road? 

48 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"They learned his name only because he was able to tell them. Note to runners and cyclists: keep a copy of your passport with you when you're out on the road."

Who cares what his name is? Do they need to know his name to give him emergency care? To bring him to a hospital? 

Don't you think knowing someone's name is the last thing you need in a situation like this? Whatever would happen, you can sort out who a person is later. 

At some point, long after emergency care has been delivered and is receiving care in the hospital, they might want to know how to contact his family/friends/significant other.  You're right though, knowing someone's name isn't a concern for administering first aid.

The rubbish in the road to me looks like packaging materials that were torn open when they were administering first aid.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Should keep a copy of insurance details or emergency contact in case money is required