German cyclist taken to hospital after collapsing in northern Thailand

webfact

At first, congratulations to 'Klaus'! - By heart.

And thanks to all these Thai people, helping on the road.

47 minutes ago, damascase said:

Listen carefully to what your body tells you

Wonderful idea, but No!  First check the weather  conditions, temperature, humidity and

in the north of Thailand in February, the air pollution. - That's all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, chiangraifalang said:

Hi to all, im Klaus, the 65 year young man, ho felt unconscious.
First i want to say a great thank you to all the helping people, the soldier, the rescue staff and all other who fightedsucessful for my life.

Klaus, can you let us know more about your heath, such as:

Did you have known preexisting health conditions? 

Did you have warning signals prior to the day you collapsed? 

what symptoms did you have on the day? 

should you have stopped cycling earlier on that event? 

How fit are you? how much cycling do you do? 

and anything else you think is helpful 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What was a guy that age thinking? The heat, the dangerous levels of air pollution, the steep uphill climb. Sorry he is ill but it was kind of self inflicted. 

It's nearly always hot in Thailand, most people who exercise a lot will live longer than the fat Falang who do nothing but drink

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's nearly always hot in Thailand, most people who exercise a lot will live longer than the fat Falang who do nothing but drink

This is the start of the hot season here in Chiang Mai. It's not sensible for anyone to be doing long uphill cycling in the heat of the day now, by they old or young.  Air pollution is also hight and getting worse at this time of year here. I don't think any doctor or fitness instructor would recommend to anyone to exercise in scorching temperatures in the midst of dangerous air pollution.

Wait till the cool season would be my advice. Looking at the shape of him he was not in the best of physical fitness to attempt that. Exercise in the morning or evening and go to an indoor gym is far more healthy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

This is the start of the hot season here in Chiang Mai. It's not sensible for anyone to be doing long uphill cycling in the heat of the day now, by they old or young.  Air pollution is also hight and getting worse at this time of year here. I don't think any doctor or fitness instructor would recommend to anyone to exercise in scorching temperatures in the midst of dangerous air pollution.

Wait till the cool season would be my advice. Looking at the shape of him he was not in the best of physical fitness to attempt that. Exercise in the morning or evening and go to an indoor gym is far more healthy. 

You cycle much? it's likely the competition he was in started early morning, so he wasn't in the heat of the day. Most people who cycle a lot, circ 100km every couple days or so even in the humid heat know to start early

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Lucky man, and I wish him a speedy recovery, However, as fit as you may appear to be, at 65 years young I would think twice before cycling around mountains. 

Some of these oldtimers are doing 10.000 + km a year and are in far better shape than those between 15 and 40.  It is more dangerous if somebody rediscover his passion after many years of inactivity and doesn't consult a doctor first. A regular check-up should be fine but nothing is bullet proof.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What was a guy that age thinking? The heat, the dangerous levels of air pollution, the steep uphill climb. Sorry he is ill but it was kind of self inflicted. 

An uncle of my Thai wife just died because of overconsumption of alcohol so I prefer to cycle, walk and swim instead. My friend just returned to the UK a couple years ago he was 79, cycled every day around Chiang Rai and was in better shape than me 20+ years younger. People in good shape mostly can cope better with pollution related things. Self inflicted ???????

• Like 2