Bangkok nightlife given green light to re-open as more restrictions eased nationwide

Jonathan Fairfield

CCSA approves emergency decree extension and lifting of restrictions

be2baf15c6f525619950f55611c8132f_small.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has approved the extension of the emergency decree for another month, and resolved to lift a number of restrictions, including allowing people to drink alcoholic beverages in restaurants until 11 p.m.

The Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, said after chairing the CCSA meeting today that the center decided to extend the enforcement of the emergency decree until March 31 this year.

The meeting also approved the lifting of restrictions, aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19, and a proposal to downgrade the degree of COVID-19 infection in various areas. Currently, Samut Sakhon is the only province with its status as a red zone, where maximum control is in place.

The CCSA meeting gave the green light to permit vendors to sell alcoholic beverages and allow customers to drink inside their premises until 11 p.m. of each day.

However, restrictions on entertainment venues will remain in place to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission.

The meeting acknowledged the hosting of a professional jet ski competition, after the country successfully hosted an international badminton tournament. There will be more activities to promote domestic tourism, while maintaining public health measures.

The Prime Minister insisted that the first COVID-19 vaccine doses will arrive in Thailand this Wednesday (Feb 24). The government will take two to three days to consider the vaccine distribution plan. Once it is finalized, the doses will be administered to the public immediately.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-02-22

Can confirm.

I was over at Patpong today and got the news at 5pm straight from the horse's mouth.

Many bars had their doors open and they were sweeping floors n getting ready for tomorrow.

Saw an old white geezer taking a pictures of The Old Other Office with its doors open and lights on. He looked pleased. I presume he was a regular.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

Frankly, why bars have to close at 2300 in Bkk but midnight in Pattaya, is anyone’s guess. 

please forgive me if I missed something in the OP, pattaya is still 11pm, I just checked my watch after getting in 40mins ago and can confirm 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

At the time of posting, the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority is yet to make an announcement on when the re-opening would come into effect, although it is expected bars and pubs  will  be able to re-open as  early as  Tuesday (23 Feb). 

Weird they make a big splsh but don't have a "when".

Hoenstly, it can't be any earlier than Tuesday, unless it was Monday.

How hard is it to pick a date and stick with it?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

please forgive me if I missed something in the OP, pattaya is still 11pm, I just checked my watch after getting in 40mins ago and can confirm 

The new hours should be starting today, Tues 23 according to an Aussie bar owner I chatted to

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oldie said:

I think the best will be everyone decides for himself if he wants to risk to go to entertainment venues. I don't go and I even avoid to meet people that are hanging around there every night. But I am a careful person that can't even remember anymore when I had a disease caused by a virus or bacteria. But for sure I am not immortal too. 

Let me complete your senetence: "I think the best will be everyone decides for himself if he wants to risk to go to entertainment venues, catch the virus and then decide whether to pass the virus on to friends and family."  I was at an entertainment venue last night, with a friend, at the back of club far away from the madening crowd. Booze was being served and it was business as usual ...... 

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Let me complete your senetence: "I think the best will be everyone decides for himself if he wants to risk to go to entertainment venues, catch the virus and then decide whether to pass the virus on to friends and family."  I was at an entertainment venue last night, with a friend, at the back of club far away from the madening crowd. Booze was being served and it was business as usual ...... 

I see what is going on here in Central Pattaya at the open air bars. Corona obviously doesn't exist for most them. I cannot talk about the clubs that operate behind closed doors because I don't see what is happening inside. 

The situation that I see is that at least half of the bars are closed. From the bars that are open at least 90 percent have no customers. Perhaps a handful of bars have customers - especially a bar in Soi Buakhao with cheep booze is extremely crowded every night. But what I also see is that there are no precautions. Customers and staff are without mask and social distancing. As you say "business as usual". But I also have the feeling that many people avoid to go to such places - almost all my friends except two. And these two I avoid. 

Now they get an additional hour here in Pattaya. I doubt that they will get much more business. But they get the message that Covid is even a much smaller problem than originally anticipated. And so they even have to care less - what isn't possible for many because they don't care now already. 

Edited by Oldie

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many bars will open under these conditions.

For some that would mean normal business between 7 or 8 until 11.

3 or 4 hours won't be enough to make some money.

Some are in pattaya. It is a chance for some workers get back to making some money and for some business owners to not shutter forever. it's a step, don't be so negative

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

At a meeting on  Monday afternoon, it was confirmed that bars, pubs and restaurants can now open until 11pm and serve alcohol. Live music is also permitted but dancing is not allowed

Now wait for the ... "we can't survive with 11pm closing cries"

15 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

Some are in pattaya. It is a chance for some workers get back to making some money and for some business owners to not shutter forever. it's a step, don't be so negative

Unfortunately business is more complicated than opening a little and making a little money. Some bar owners made deals with landlords that as long as the bar is closed they have to pay a substantially lower rent. If they open again they have to pay rent again. And some cost don't work half way. If you have to keep the beer cold the fridges have to run 24/7, not just for a couple of hours a day. The bar has to be cleaned daily, and and and. Lots of cost which don't change much if a bar is open for 6 hours or for 12 hours.

I have a friend who is a bar owner. He prefers to keep his bar closed. Not because he doesn't like to make money. He just doesn't like to work and lose even more money.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And not without justification! Quite why the government seems intent on putting businesses out of business is anyone's guess!

I can understand clubs wanting to remain open past 11pm... but not all street bars.