Thailand gives emergency use authorisation for Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine: official

snoop1130

2 hours ago, hioctane said:

Joining Covax means middle income countries (like Thailand) foot the bill for the whole program and they have no choice on which vaccine they get. They could potentially get a better deal for the vaccine they want if they negotiate directly.

Malaysia is middle income, and it is part of COVAX.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

in desperation will rely on an unproven vaccine from China. 

I don't think there was any desperation involved. The Sinovac is what they wanted from the beginning. Nothing else was going to get into the country. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, misterjames said:

I wonder who will profit from this Chinese deal? notice they didn't want to join covax and rather this sinovax over astrazenica maybe because nobody is allowed to profit from it? no brown envelopes in it for them?

Chinese Arms+ Chinese vaccine...... You work it out...... Even chuck you in a Chicken Chow mein as well..... How's that for a deal ?  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

Even Cambodia has said 'no' to Sinovac. Get a clue, Thai officials.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Cambodia-shuns-China-s-Sinovac-vaccine-in-favor-of-COVAX-shots

that article is from december, so quite old, as situation changes constantly. And it's behind a paywall.

Cambodia joined covax program a long ago. They will have cheap vax, but they can't chose which one and when it will come.

Sinovac is not the cheap one. Thai bought it for 650b per vial, so $22. They have only $1mln saved, to enough for only 50k vials - which is nothing for 18mln population.

3 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Even Cambodia has said 'no' to Sinovac. Get a clue, Thai officials.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Cambodia-shuns-China-s-Sinovac-vaccine-in-favor-of-COVAX-shots

You know what's going to happen, the proles will get the Chinese version and the Hi-so Gov mob will get the western gear.......   Sub deal secured !  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rabas said:

It used to be.

There is a continuing stream of new variants like UK, South Africa, and Brazil's P.1 that all vaccines must deal with. The US just reported the first 'recombinant' event between the UK and a new California strain.

This opens the door to the next stage, virus-vaccine wars! Although ultimately man will win, Sinovac will likely again come up short.

Remember, Sinovac's vaccine is what China is selling overseas. Recall China's belated warnings about the virus as it bought up up the world's masks. The CCP frequently demonstrates its lack of interest in the world's well being. Do you want their vaccine?

Best post I've read in a very long time. Your last 2 sentences sum the situation nicely and what people need to keep top of mind when considering various claims, especially from China, as to the efficacy and safety of their vaccines - from all China manufactures, not just Sinovac. China, after all, is notorious for vaccine scandals. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rabas said:

It used to be.

There is a continuing stream of new variants like UK, South Africa, and Brazil's P.1 that all vaccines must deal with. The US just reported the first 'recombinant' event between the UK and a new California strain.

This opens the door to the next stage, virus-vaccine wars! Although ultimately man will win, Sinovac will likely again come up short.

Remember, Sinovac's vaccine is what China is selling overseas. Recall China's belated warnings about the virus as it bought up up the world's masks. The CCP frequently demonstrates its lack of interest in the world's well being. Do you want their vaccine?

Chinese nationals aren't taking Sinovac? That's worrying. So it sounds like Sinovac is sold to countries who were too slow to get a better vaccine, and desperate enough to pay more than it's worth.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DLock said:

That 50,000...not coming.

It was all a PR stunt that got caught up in the European short deliveries.

The other AZ ordered from the EU? Not coming, until Siam Bioscience are able to produce the vaccine in Thailand.

Until then, it's Sinovac.

Should have joined COVAX.

I notice in the publication that cannot be mentioned here that the PM will get a jab of the AZ vaccine. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, internationalism said:

that article is from december, so quite old, as situation changes constantly. And it's behind a paywall.

Cambodia joined covax program a long ago. They will have cheap vax, but they can't chose which one and when it will come.

Sinovac is not the cheap one. Thai bought it for 650b per vial, so $22. They have only $1mln saved, to enough for only 50k vials - which is nothing for 18mln population.

Sorry, the article isn't behind a paywall for me but I am in Cambodia.

So, I dug a little bit deeper and this interesting development had slipped my attention:

Cambodia's Ministry of Health has reversed Hun Sen's words and approved Sinovac this month.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50813711/more-covid-19-vaccines-approved-by-cambodias-health-ministry/

"The announcement was made by Mam Bunheng, Minister of Health, in two separate statement released by the Health Ministry this morning.

In the statements, Bunheng said that the government has given approval to these two vaccines because both of them have been used in vaccination programmes in the countries that produce them as well as several other countries."

Well, I sure don't want Sinovac.