U.S. Supreme Court sets the stage for release of Trump tax returns

webfact

39 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

He's also the go to guy for don lemon, cooper and one more guy thats lemon's lil buddy.

Agreed. Lemon was terrible. Cooper used to be good, but went downhill.

But no denying he was the darling of fox news.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

So long as Trump actively seeks the spotlight, and the Republican party and right wing 'news' outlets promote him, it is the job of the press to report on him.

Can you imagine Trump's rage if the media ignored him?

Can you imagine the media's ratings if the media ignored him?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't think it would happen.

But I think it would be funny if all the other  criminals he pardoned go free, and he ends up  going to jail. ????

I do wonder if there's a "secret pardon" out there for Trump and his family.  Knowing how corrupt and shameless he is, it wouldn't surprise me that he would try to cover his own ass somehow.  Not that it would help him in state cases. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I do wonder if there's a "secret pardon" out there for Trump and his family.  Knowing how corrupt and shameless he is, it wouldn't surprise me that he would try to cover his own ass somehow.  Not that it would help him in state cases. 

It seems likely to me that Trump issued pardons for himself, his family, and close cronies which have not been published.  There is no constitutional requirement to make a pardon public, so it's hard to see why Trump would have passed up the only chance he will ever have for the best pardon available.

I would expect the federal courts to reject a self-pardon, but when it gets to the Supreme Court, it's hard to call.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

It seems likely to me that Trump issued pardons for himself, his family, and close cronies which have not been published.  There is no constitutional requirement to make a pardon public, so it's hard to see why Trump would have passed up the only chance he will ever have for the best pardon available.

I would expect the federal courts to reject a self-pardon, but when it gets to the Supreme Court, it's hard to call.

Great post. But I think if he did issue pardons for himself and his family, it would leak out. A media outlet would pay big money for an article like this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thai Dan said:

How long was the Mueller investigation?  Does the report say he was not cleared or did it say they should keep investigating?  Please quote the report and provide a link, if you would be so kind.

This is what the report says:

blank1.png.bdae4d5a9f65a1f4d77c276268fed11f.png

It would be a joke if it weren't such an insult.  How can anyone with a brain support this stuff?

• Like 1

A couple of points:

-  President Trump's tax returns have not been locked away in a cave somewhere, unseen by human eyes.  The IRS has them and could have sent them to he FBI if they contained evidence of anything criminal.  To the best of our knowledge, the IRS has not done this.

- Rachel Maddow got a hold of one of President Trump's tax returns a while back.  The tax returns were normal, ecept for the numbers being large.

Not realeasing his tax returns may well have been the ultimate President Trump troll!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

You never watch any of them but you know that Fox is the better one. Trump logic at his best.

I used to watch CNN and Fox, I guess 5-10 years ago. I judge them now on what I read/watch(British newspapers and Aljazeera/RT news). They both are terribly biased and anyone who is not blinkered can see that. 

How is this Trump logic? Actually, what has what I wrote got to do with Trump?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

A couple of points:

-  President Trump's tax returns have not been locked away in a cave somewhere, unseen by human eyes.  The IRS has them and could have sent them to he FBI if they contained evidence of anything criminal.  To the best of our knowledge, the IRS has not done this.

- Rachel Maddow got a hold of one of President Trump's tax returns a while back.  The tax returns were normal, ecept for the numbers being large.

Not realeasing his tax returns may well have been the ultimate President Trump troll!

The IRS has been investigating Trump for a long time. It's a problem which they admit. This is due to his massive losses, which are being disputed. The head of the treasury decides how to handle investigations. A political appointee. So forget anything happening the past 4 years.

It will all come out soon. Just wait. And read the NY Times for the best reporting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I would be surprised if there isn't one.

trump is a litigious person, he has made a living out of taking people to court. other than BS he is really not good at anything else.. One of the most important strategies in US litigation is to outlast your opponent. A pocket pardon might not survive constitutional scrutiny, but it would serve to delay verdicts as challenges and subsequent appeals find their way  through the courts. 

I would see no reason why trump will not deploy this tactics, it would be like leaving money on the table, and trump being a sociopath, and having no shame, is completely transactional and would not leave any more money on the table than he has to.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Greenside said:

Very interesting interview with Elizabeth Neumann on BBC's HardTalk this morning where she discusses, amongst other things, the efforts to rid the Republican Party of the elements that seem destined to wreck it if Trump continues to be a malign influence.  Hardtalk (BBC World Service Radio)

Trump is not a malign influence. Trump is the personification of the Republican party.

• Like 1