Typical "fee" to Amphur big boss official to attend wedding?

creative1000

We learned in Chiang Mai that only the big boss has authority to sign the Thai marriage document for a farang+thai marriage. As we want to have the same marriage date as our wedding ceremony date, we've been able to book in advance the big boss to make a quick stop at the ceremony to issue the paperwork+signatures, etc..

The venue's wedding planner who has worked with many weddings, said their might be an extra "fee" for this official to come, also considering it's a Saturday, 3-day weekend,  1 hour drive in the mountains away from the Amphur Office. She mentioned years ago in Mae Rim at a different hotel venue, even 3,000 baht was not enough "fee".  So far in Hang Dong, the big boss is 2 weeks new in his office and hasn't made it clear what the "fee" is, or if there is any fee. I don't know how to subtly ask,  haha, hence this post on this forum. 

Any experience what a typical "fee" to Amphur big boss official to attend wedding?

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure but as I recall there was an official fee for such service and additional fee for travel in the past and a one hour drive would greatly increase that requirement (this is the same district I hope).  Your future spouse should be getting that information (she the wedding planner I suspect?).

Yes, that is our understanding... the long windy road away from the Amphur office into the Chiang Mai mountains, although 1-hour away, is still within this Amphur so will merit some sort of "gas money" cost. 

Because the local Amphur Office hasn't had a big boss in several months, but now has a new one as of 2 weeks ago, no-one (wedding planners, hotel, lower staff at the office) is sure of the norms anymore.  haha, lucky us to be the guinea pigs

Do the "Buddhist" ceremony and wedding on Saturday and go to the Amphur on Monday. Enjoy the extra day of freedom. Even in the West the official marriage and the church ceremony are on a different day. I had about 2 years in between them, wedding ceremony and party for the family and legal marriage at the Amphur.

pony up. this on is totally on you. you are asking a govt official to come 1 hour to your place on a long weekend for something you can do on monday morning on your own time. i'd charge you at least 5k baht if i was him.

maybe hire adam sandler next time. o wait. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, petermik said:

aaah and who said that real romance had died....:clap2:

the poor lass deserves a blaady medal living marrying a cranky owd <deleted> :cheesy:

morning col :thumbsup:

I'm sure Colinneil once said you can buy medals on the market for 200 Baht. A bargain for a lifetime of devotion.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, petermik said:

aaah and who said that real romance had died....:clap2:

the poor lass deserves a blaady medal living marrying a cranky owd <deleted> :cheesy:

morning col :thumbsup:

Well mate, you are not wrong, how the hell she puts up with me moaning at her everyday is beyond me.

I put it down to me being such a handsome chap, and a loving caring husband..:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well mate, you are not wrong, how the hell she puts up with me moaning at her everyday is beyond me.

I put it down to me being such a handsome chap, and a loving caring husband..:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Throw in modest as well and your the perfect gent....or us Lancy lads would say "a proper chap" :clap2:

• Like 1

Me, the wife, and the in-laws waited all day at the amphur for the “big boss” to show up. When he did he went straight up to his throne room or whatever. We barely caught a glimpse of him. Two other couples came in, and he wanted to get us all over with at once. About 15 minutes for him to sign everybody, then he hurried back to his castle. Then we went home, where the “ceremony” consisted of some smartphone snaps, a couple of cases of beer, a few bottles of Thai whiskey and Coke, lao khao for the bros in law, Spys for the ladies, and a few kilos of BBQ pork. Your 3k baht would be much better spent on such an arrangement.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Me, the wife, and the in-laws waited all day at the amphur for the “big boss” to show up. When he did he went straight up to his throne room or whatever. We barely caught a glimpse of him. Two other couples came in, and he wanted to get us all over with at once. About 15 minutes for him to sign everybody, then he hurried back to his castle. Then we went home, where the “ceremony” consisted of some smartphone snaps, a couple of cases of beer, a few bottles of Thai whiskey and Coke, lao khao for the bros in law, Spys for the ladies, and a few kilos of BBQ pork. Your 3k baht would be much better spent on such an arrangement.

A lot different to our experience. we got married at the amphur.

Organised in advance all the documents required and booked an appointment with the official (not a big boss) to show up with the witnesses. Took less than an hour to complete everything.

No money involved, apart from the fee.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

A lot different to our experience. we got married at the amphur.

Organised in advance all the documents required and booked an appointment with the official (not a big boss) to show up with the witnesses. Took less than an hour to complete everything.

No money involved, apart from the fee.

Yup, we had all our documents prepared, and mom and dad were brought as witnesses. We were told by our amphur there was no booking, just show up and wait. So we had to wait all day. An official examined and approved the documents, but we still had to wait for the “big boss’” signature. Turns out we were waiting for the other two couples as he wanted to do everyone at once.

He eventually went straight up to his office, was up there for 15 minutes just to sign the papers, then quickly left. Hah. These dreams everyone has for pictures with the officials and your certificate were not to be had. Unless, as is the topic of this thread, you’re willing to shell out the dosh for their precious time. Not a farang thing either, as the other two couples were Thai. They simply can’t be bothered with any of the hoi polloi.

We paid I think only 20 baht for the marriage certificate, then another 20 for a plastic folder. That was it. The 3k I’m referring to is what the OP was offering his “big boss” for a visit, which he said wasn’t enough, haha. So I’m saying it’d be better spent on drinks and BBQ for his fam.

25 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yup, we had all our documents prepared, and mom and dad were brought as witnesses. We were told by our amphur there was no booking, just show up and wait. So we had to wait all day. An official examined and approved the documents, but we still had to wait for the “big boss’” signature. Turns out we were waiting for the other two couples as he wanted to do everyone at once.

Yes, as we know it's bound to differ from amphur to amphur. Even staff at the same amphur can give you different answers to the same question.

We were told no relatives were allowed to be witnesses. So one of them was my wife's aunt with a different surname - just to beat their system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 2:40 PM, BritManToo said:

Wouldn't it have been easier for you to go to the Amphur office in the morning, and do the religious bit in the afternoon and evening?

Religious bit?

Is that where the monks turn up and get loads of expensive gifts in exchange for a bit of chanting? One has to ask WHY they are necessary?

As for only the big boss being able to sign, and costing large to do so- is that for real or something invented by the wedding planner?

Certainly wasn't necessary for mine. My total cost was the petrol to get to and from the amphur and the 20 baht or whatever it cost for the bit of paper.

On 3/3/2021 at 2:37 PM, bluesofa said:

Yes, as we know it's bound to differ from amphur to amphur. Even staff at the same amphur can give you different answers to the same question.

We were told no relatives were allowed to be witnesses. So one of them was my wife's aunt with a different surname - just to beat their system.

Certainly different to mine. I arranged no witnesses and the amphur officials acted as witnesses.

On 2/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, creative1000 said:

Any experience what a typical "fee" to Amphur big boss official to attend wedding?

Has anyone else even had to pay the "big boss" for something the staff should be able to do? IMO it's nothing to do with a "big boss" as it implies he has to give his permission for the marriage to take place at all, and I doubt he has that power.

IMO it's for the usual reasons and farangs that pay up are only encouraging the new practice. If the Chiang Mai big boss gets away with it, all the rest might start doing it.