Oops! Mexican beauty queen shocks Thai Buddhists - and she hasn't even arrived!

webfact

13 hours ago, fakser said:

These Phallic symbols of fertility, go hand in hand with honouring the sacred images and statues of Buddha.

Any one who does not know and honour the Buddhist tradition should avoid commenting on them.

Presumably this guy is qualified to comment?

'Consumerism is now the Thai religion,” said Phra Paisan Visalo, one of the country’s most respected monks.'

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I thought they appeared closer to midnight? Seven-thirty is very early.

Make up only just being applied at that hour, except for those who have punters needing to be home to the wife and kids by 8pm

23 hours ago, George Bowman said:

Speaking of normal, this photo was taken yesterday in Phitsanulok. 

dick pillow.jpg

hypocritical, especially when you see the sign "Khon Lae Krung" so that shop is on the list. if you buy some item they charge you only half, government pays the other half! ????

On 2/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, webfact said:
Oops! Mexican beauty queen shocks Thai Buddhists - and she hasn't even arrived!

1pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

The Miss Grand International Beauty Pageant has not even started but it is already mired in controversy.

That was assured after the Mexican contestant - shapely and vivacious Angela Yuriar - was pictured in a skimpy swimming costume alongside BUDDHIST IMAGES.

The pictures were taken before she came to Thailand and were snapped at a swimming pool where the images are a normal feature.

She quickly made her Instagram account private. 

The pictures appeared on "Berng Nang Ngam" (gaze at beauty queens) a popular site on Facebook that is promoting the upcoming Miss Grand International 2020 to be held at Show DC Hall in downtown Bangkok on March 27th. 

A post accompanying the pictures said that the beauty queen probably had no idea of the offence this might cause and would likely make an apology to explain things. 

The beauty pageant will involve 14 day quarantine and Zoom technology reported Daily News who used the word "reverberate" in their headline suggesting trouble.  

Ms Yuriar is listed as as an animal and nature lover in promo material. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-23

We'll have to check later on, she looks a bit Katoeyish.......

On 2/23/2021 at 9:49 AM, SomchaiCNX said:

I'm offended by all those religious nutters but nobody cares about that.

YES, that  just about sums  up todays claims of  "offence" at  best religion is  laughable at worst downright disgusting, I find religion deeply  offensive in every way but am told I "must"  respect their fantasy!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, EricTh said:

This type of people should be banned from entering Thailand for not respecting local culture.

I  got  in to  Thailand  only  by  driving like a  raving lunatic  running away after accidents, not  giving signals, throwing my  rubbish off my  motosy burning all my  plastics at  home, lying when it was my fault ,which it never  was. I always respect the "culture"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I  got  in to  Thailand  only  by  driving like a  raving lunatic  running away after accidents, not  giving signals, throwing my  rubbish off my  motosy burning all my  plastics at  home, lying when it was my fault ,which it never  was. I always respect the "culture"

Why not take the next step up, do a naked picture pose of you with a Buddha statue and then send it to the immigration with your full name on it?

See what happens.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Here's the original uncensored image;

missgrand.jpg.7ce78be4fff1dd60f02eeca6247d88c7.jpg

Where's the problem?

some people don't like it and consider this sacrilege.

Wonder what reactions would be if she were posing like this with a life size crucifix ? or one of the Holy Books ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KKr said:

some people don't like it and consider this sacrilege.

Wonder what reactions would be if she were posing like this with a life size crucifix ? or one of the Holy Books ?

The crucifix and Christian symbols have been done to death... <deleted> Christ, Dung Madonna, etc., etc.

The real challenge would be Islamic and Hebrew symbols.

Who's first?

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:43 AM, bendejo said:

LasAdelitas11.jpg.3429db7e47ce598f6d64f2955c93d349.jpg

A popular image in Mexico.  Pretty impressive for a predominantly Catholic country.

An old song comes to mind for some reason.

' Ay ay ay ay , si si seniora , my sister Berlinda she peed out the window and ruined my brand new sombrero '

' I siad why you do that you ruined my new hat she said I don't give a phukero .'

21 hours ago, dcnx said:

Ignorant people who clearly don’t know anything about the Buddha.

You have met him, I guess not. Jesus Christ was the first one with a couple journalist (vloggers) that followed him and took notes. Later on we had translators that wrote their own versions and interpretations. In the days of the lord Buddha, nothing was written down and the story was continued for centuries as an oral one. When in the army we had a special example during training of how effective the oral message was. You would be surprised what the last one in a platoon (30+ people) said to his superior compared to the original message given to the first person.

In this case like most cases, nobody was wounded and the statue was not offended only the people who call themselves followers were. I like Bouddhisme but I found out that also here in Thailand religion is used and abused by those in power, to keep people in line. Similar like the catholics did 100 years ago.  

On 2/25/2021 at 1:16 AM, KKr said:

indeed, knowing a little bit, yet believing to know it all, are the worst.

You don’t need to know it all to understand that if someone is outraged over a statue, or how someone takes a photo with it, they’re completely missing the mark.